Need Advice: Resurfacing an Aging Concrete Driveway

melvingoodman

Active OPE Member
Local time
1:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My driveway has developed cracks, potholes, and an overall worn-out appearance, which is not only an eyesore but also poses potential risks for my vehicles.

Are there specific materials or products that worked well for you in repairing cracks and filling potholes? Any tips or tricks for achieving a smooth and aesthetically pleasing finish?

I look forward to your valuable advice...

Best Regards,
Melvin

schreib69

OPE Member
Local time
12:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is an odd place to post this but since you ask.
Once concrete has revealed it is broken internally by showing surface cracks and pitting it is aleady too late. It will continue to degrade and any aesthetic fixes you may make will not be able to heal the internal structural breaks. It may be that your concrete is cracking also due to insufficient or NO reinforcing metal-- 6 x 6 mesh or #3 rebars? who knows?

My suggestion is to call in a contractor to upend it with a back hoe and send it to a fill. Or, do that yourself if you have equipment. Then, regrade it manually and get in contractors to quote on the full square footage. Specs: #3 rebar spaced at 2 ft on center in squares or 6 x 6 mesh everywhere; no area larger than 150 sq ft without sawed crack lines or spacers. This is a good start, your contractors will likely have even better suggestions. You may find it necessary to call back earlier quoting contractors with revised specs that later contractors suggest and you "like."

I do not use concrete on my driveway-- 35,000 sq ft of blacktop. In Minnesota the snow melts easier with blacktop.

Good luck,

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
1:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Much of it depends on your location as to how long it will last. If you’re dealing with freeze and thaw temperatures often, it’s very difficult for any patchwork to stay down.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
My driveway has developed cracks, potholes, and an overall worn-out appearance, which is not only an eyesore but also poses potential risks for my vehicles.

Are there specific materials or products that worked well for you in repairing cracks and filling potholes? Any tips or tricks for achieving a smooth and aesthetically pleasing finish?

I look forward to your valuable advice...

Best Regards,
Melvin
A little more info might help such as pics, your location, etc... At least one member who has replied has extensive concrete experience.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Joined 3 years ago and first post about Sausage fingers mail order concrete services.
I hope he posts up his $100 new in box MS500i's for sale next.
Could be using a VPN?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A couble of things to think about .In freezing climates air entrained concrete is more robust about freezing thawing .Reinforcement .
My shop .60 by 70 has a 7.5" thick floor with number 6 rebar( 3/4" ) 18" on center with sawed control joints .20 plus years and nary a crack .BTW I got a hell of a deal on the rebar . Cracked up drive ways .Other than demolishing it and starting over could be resurfacing with asphault .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I might further add ,one area, 20 by 20 has anchored 7/8" threaded rod,hidden with plate steel bottoms and covered with 20" of concrete 4 feet on centers .With three layers of rods The idea was to use as a platform for frame straightening using ten ton jacks .I've only used it once .That floor was the most expensive item in the whole job but it will be there long after I'm pushing up daisys .

Catbuster

Roadbuilder Extraordinaire
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sure, there are products, you could do partial depth patching with a fibercrete type material after you roughen the existing, but most driveways lack sufficient thickness for that do be effective. Afterwards, if you did choose to continue, you could do an overlay, and I would choose one batched with liquid latex, or you could use what’s basically grout with some fiber in it, or epoxy is another option. Epoxy and latex require special equipment, and usually are used for stuff like bridge decks. I’ve patched a couple together like this, and it’s never pretty.

But, all of the above are more expensive than tearing out the old and pouring new with welded wire reinforcement or just pouring a good (~4000 PSI w/ 3/4” stone) air entrained fiber mix.

Just sayin’. 😉

melvingoodman

Active OPE Member
Local time
1:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello everyone,

I hope you're all doing well. I'm reaching out for some advice on repairing my worn-out driveway. My driveway has developed cracks, potholes, and an overall worn-out appearance, which not only detracts from the curb appeal of my property but also poses potential risks for my vehicles.

If you've successfully tackled driveway repairs in the past, I would greatly appreciate your insights on specific materials or products that worked well for repairing cracks and filling potholes. Additionally, any tips or tricks you have for achieving a smooth and aesthetically pleasing finish would be invaluable to me.

Thank you all in advance for your expertise and advice. Your input will be instrumental in helping me restore my driveway to its former glory.

Best regards,Melvin

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello everyone,

I hope you're all doing well. I'm reaching out for some advice on repairing my worn-out driveway, and I'm particularly interested in hearing from Concrete Pros Bend, a reputable contractor in our area, who may have experience with similar projects.

My driveway has developed cracks, potholes, and an overall worn-out appearance, which not only detracts from the curb appeal of my property but also poses potential risks for my vehicles.

If you've successfully tackled driveway repairs in the past, I would greatly appreciate your insights on specific materials or products that worked well for repairing cracks and filling potholes. Additionally, any tips or tricks you have for achieving a smooth and aesthetically pleasing finish would be invaluable to me.

Thank you all in advance for your expertise and advice. Your input will be instrumental in helping me restore my driveway to its former glory.

Best regards,Melvin
Gravel works best. Convert to a gravel driveway, then use your box blade or yard box to maintain it.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Or. crushed concrete works well also.

Reactions: Lnk