NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
2:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like that sticker needs to changed to 32:1 mix only..

Must be some super secret squirrely lower transfer work....... 🤣

Looks good!! I "need" a lathe and mill.
The lowers are someone else's discovery, sorry! Yeah man I've always sworn by 32:1.... But I'm slowly backing away. I'm personally @ 40:1... Less mess and it seems to burn more completely. I mean hell, I can't seem to convince any of my customers out of 50:1, and so far their saws hold up. I still warn them. I don't think I'll ever run 50:1 in a saw I love. And I need a mill too. I'm looking. Waiting... Thill mill vise in the press method is NOT recommended. It can make shapes but it can rarely color inside the lines.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
1:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If nothing else, I intend to spend some time doing carb work on my 361 that is trying to run with the original. It runs but not like it used to 14 years ago. I will start with an A-B comparison with what carb that Stihl is selling today to replace it. That might be all that it needs. Regardless, reading this thread has been enlightening to say the least. :cool:

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If nothing else, I intend to spend some time doing carb work on my 361 that is trying to run with the original. It runs but not like it used to 14 years ago. I will start with an A-B comparison with what carb that Stihl is selling today to replace it. That might be all that it needs. Regardless, reading this thread has been enlightening to say the least. :cool:
The last one I did, I didn't quite hit the numbers. It ran like hell anyway and in the stock carb. It did get the 461 horn though. That stock plastic rig kills these things. I'm lucky @drf256 gave me the heads up... I'd think it'd be worth trying the 440 horn too. Those fall in about the same alignment as the stock 361 filter mount I believe, based on the misalignment I get when using the 461 horn on both the 440/044,and the 361. What I'd really like to try is modding the filter base from one of those models that runs the oval HD filter. That'd be the mecca for the 361 intake in my opinion. Then just slap an outerwears pre filter over it for 12$ and let it rip on oem badassness.

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice work on the saw Nate, that thing cuts like mad.
Glad you're happy brother. I'll get those doggies on her ASAP! I need to build me one of those saws. Thanks be to Doc for discovering a winning prescription!

vrex

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The last one I did, I didn't quite hit the numbers. It ran like hell anyway and in the stock carb. It did get the 461 horn though. That stock plastic rig kills these things. I'm lucky @drf256 gave me the heads up... I'd think it'd be worth trying the 440 horn too. Those fall in about the same alignment as the stock 361 filter mount I believe, based on the misalignment I get when using the 461 horn on both the 440/044,and the 361. What I'd really like to try is modding the filter base from one of those models that runs the oval HD filter. That'd be the mecca for the 361 intake in my opinion. Then just slap an outerwears pre filter over it for 12$ and let it rip on oem badassness.

If the ms440 carb compensator snorkel (?) plate can be swapped to a the stock ms361 carb, looking at diagrams I think you'd be on track. Where the filter base hooks or catches on the carb box of a stock ms361 tank handle may be a problem, easy enough to clearance it but then, will it seal? how will it stay affixed, besides the 2 nuts holding the plate down? I have an ms361, mulling over whether to track down a nylon mesh filter, but this is a way better idea and i want it yesterday. If you've got parts handy to try, i'd appreciate an update. I can order garbage plastics for experimenting but i'd still end up ordering OEM for the final product because reasons, seems a waste of money and I've got enough other places to lose money.

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If the ms440 carb compensator snorkel (?) plate can be swapped to a the stock ms361 carb, looking at diagrams I think you'd be on track. Where the filter base hooks or catches on the carb box of a stock ms361 tank handle may be a problem, easy enough to clearance it but then, will it seal? how will it stay affixed, besides the 2 nuts holding the plate down? I have an ms361, mulling over whether to track down a nylon mesh filter, but this is a way better idea and i want it yesterday. If you've got parts handy to try, i'd appreciate an update. I can order garbage plastics for experimenting but i'd still end up ordering OEM for the final product because reasons, seems a waste of money and I've got enough other places to lose money.
I gather you're referring to making the HD filter setup work? I'll have to wait till I have my own personal 361 to play with. Yes I'd have to keep the compensator plate that comes on the 50a carb to make that work.

vrex

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I gather you're referring to making the HD filter setup work? I'll have to wait till I have my own personal 361 to play with. Yes I'd have to keep the compensator plate that comes on the 50a carb to make that work.
Yea, HD2 setup on a 361. After posting I went out and eyeballed my 361, neat idea but looking at the difference in the 440 and 361 carb box, I don’t see it. There’s a large void to the left in the 440 (av? I dunno what’s behind there) that isn’t present on the 361. Assuming the filter base plate has to seal air tight, unless the whole 440 carb box could be put on a 361 (and I don’t have both saws/parts in front of me to accurately check), I’m not sure it works. That being said, if there’s a 3D print wizard here who could make a filter base, dude put me *f-wording in. I’ll buy 3 and donate two to a future raffle to help get it off the ground.

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yea, HD2 setup on a 361. After posting I went out and eyeballed my 361, neat idea but looking at the difference in the 440 and 361 carb box, I don’t see it. There’s a large void to the left in the 440 (av? I dunno what’s behind there) that isn’t present on the 361. Assuming the filter base plate has to seal air tight, unless the whole 440 carb box could be put on a 361 (and I don’t have both saws/parts in front of me to accurately check), I’m not sure it works. That being said, if there’s a 3D print wizard here who could make a filter base, dude put me *frenching in. I’ll buy 3 and donate two to a future raffle to help get it off the ground.
I second that with the 3d printer. However, as soon as I get my hands on my own 361 to build, I'm going for it. I'll post results /failures for reference. Upon a quick glance, the 440 filter base offers MORE material than needed. That's a good problem to have. I believe it can be done with relative sanity in the pita dept. Compared to some of the other squirrel sh*t I've tried.