High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

My first attempt at a bonifide porting job...

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
6:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just goofing around my brothas. I have a feeling you'll be making more vids and they'll be popular....for posterity sake maybe do 'em in landscape mode.

No butt hurt here...I never think of it until after I upload them to youtube and see how crappy they look....insert Homer Simpson "Doh!".:BangHead:

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I was the camera man for the XT vids... I'm afraid you'll find the same aspect ratio on those vids too.... D'OH! :bash:

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sorry about the double posting this in another thread.. I was looking for this one...

OK, so I went into my XPW for the final time today and made some changes...

Mdavelee, you were right, I misread my degree wheel and the exhaust was NOT 113, but 103.
Before I made the first changes the stock cylinder port timing with a base gasket delete was Ex:103, Trans:128 and Intake:75

Last time I was inside, I raised the transfers 3 deg so the numbers it was at when I started today and with the base gasket delete: Ex:103, Trans:125, Int:75, BD of 22.

I raised the exhaust to 100, transfers to 122 and also squared the intake. I opted not to lower the intake floor as I want to be careful not to lose too much intake velocity. Last time I was in I widened the exhaust to 35mm to bring it to 70% of bore diameter. I did not make any changes to exhaust width today, just raised it 3.

We don't have any logs in our little landing at this time so all I did was fire it up and make sure it would at least run and spool up, which it did in spades. :)

Final timing numbers are: Ex:100, Trans:122, Intake:75 and 22 deg of blowdown. These numbers reflect a deleted base gasket.

@Mastermind
I would like the thank Randy, the pistol wielding monkey for posting these numbers on his XPW build thread on AS awhile back, as this was my guide. :D

Frankly, all of you guys who have been so generous with knowledge and good recommendations on what to do based on years of trial and error is very much appreciated. Were it not for several of you, it's very likely I would have taken one thing or another too far and turned my cylinder into a paperweight. I would rather make some good mods the first time without destroying the cylinder. Maybe I wouldn't have even attempted my own porting in the first place!

Total mods to be included with the above numbers:
-Unlimited coil
-Exhaust widened to 70% of bore
-Intake port squared up
-Base gasket delete
-Advanced ignition timing
-Dual ported muffler

Couple pics of what I did...
First is a shot of the exhaust port, second is of the exhaust outlet which I enlarged and also enlarged the gasket, heat shield and muffler.
img_20160403_140402245-jpg.17629
img_20160403_140425432-jpg.17630

Third shot is of the squared up intake.
img_20160403_145335563_hdr-jpg.17632

Last pic just a general shot of final cleanup of lower transfers.
img_20160403_140527573_hdr-jpg.17631

Last edited:

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Alright fellas, first things first.. I have to correct the record on my above listed port timing numbers. I am not completely sure what my intake number is as I discovered with the help of more knowledgeable members that I was measuring the intake timing incorrectly. All I know for sure is that I did not alter it other than what was changed by the base gasket delete.

Now then... XP_Slinger and I had a little test-n-tune session with our 372's today to see how they performed in wood after our final porting alterations. Both saws (his being an XT and mine being a Dubya) did not disappoint! Mine spooled nearly 13.9k no load and pulled between 12.4 and 12.8k in the cut. I would attribute the variance to all of the variables from one cut to the next in terms of how the saw is handled. My Dubya is pulling a 24" with a full comp round ground chisel Oregon chain.

I can now say I am DONE with this saw in terms of modding. The only thing I haven't done is cut the base and squish, and the only reason for that is that we just don't have the machinery to do such tasks.

Here is today's vid of the Dubya. Whatya think guys?? :)

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
XP_Slinger and I are going to meet Spike60 and Weimdog tomorrow! :)

Dave, how much would you charge for cutting base and squish?? Also, I have no clue how much should be cut..lol!