Ms362 and 400 shortcomings

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
9:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I ended up with a 362, build date 07 of 2022. Cut some timber with it, broke it in and all. This is a non mtronic saw, which I tend to prefer. After 3rd day of listening to the stupid thing bounce off the rev limiter when limbing, it would not return to idle. Found out that the secondary air valve was sticking open. So I sprayed some carb clean on it and it was all dandy, for a short time anyhow. Next day, it happened again, and with my short temper with saws, I threw it on the ground and walked back to my truck to grab the trusty ms440.
I've since sold that saw and went with a 500i which so far has been great.
Well yesterday while I was working at the shop, had a ms400c come in, like brand new, that wouldn't idle, and would hang the throttle. Same issue, secondary throttle hanging up. Cleaned it up and it ran great. I ask what kind of wood he was cutting, he said western larch and Douglas fir, which happen to be the same species of timber I was sawing when the issues came up. They are real sappy trees, but no excuse for hanging throttle which can be dangerous. Never ever ever had this issue on 372 husky and 044 and 66 stinks that I've cut with for over 20 years. Wtf stihl, get yer crap together

Last edited:

Big_6

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It must be the new invasive Spotted Latern Fly poop getting in the carburetor.
You'll taste the darker Spotted Lantern Fly
" Forest honey" in the fall
but not in the spring nectar flow honey.

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve had no problem with my 400 and I cut a lot of white and blue spruce with it. It doesn’t get much more sappy than that shít.
Western larch is so sappy that you sometimes have to run a mix of kerosene with your bar oil to keep the chain spinning. So sappy that the old timers cut most of the other timber and left the larch!

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
12:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Western larch is so sappy that you sometimes have to run a mix of kerosene with your bar oil to keep the chain spinning. So sappy that the old timers cut most of the other timber and left the larch!
Aye, larch is sappy here too. For some reason the spruce are susceptible to ring shake here abouts. They are full of sap pockets that just run out of the tree like honey. Vile shít. I’d much rather cut larch.

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It seems to be an issue, talked to my local stihl dealer months ago about it, and again a few weeks ago. They said the technical department are aware of this complaint and could be a safety issue. But no fix so far for said issue