Ms150t sheared flywheel key...

pro94lt

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My favorite saw, the saw I crank every morning sheared the flywheel key. I had advanced the timing in December of 2014 and guess I went to far? It sheared it off completely... I don't know what's the hardest to swallow, having to use the back up echo 271t, the price of a new flywheel at 70$ or that it's 2 weeks out until one comes in... I've since got the broken flywheel in and the saw seems to run ok but I can't chance it coming loose again, this little saw stihl amazes me! I'm just second guessing spending the 70 in it as to buying a new one at 429.00

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm thinking that there probably aren't too many used flywheels on eBay for that saw yet?

I bet it ran pretty good until it let go?

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
4:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My vid might help...don't toss the flywheel...make a new key!

pro94lt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Their might be some out their but I couldn't find them... And yes it ran very good... Also looked at Your video mattyo, Thats good stuff, I thought of what to use as a key but not the copper. i did get it on and running what seems to be as good as before after probably a dozen installs and tiny changes of the timing... I'll machine the old one down and use the wire. But I've already ordered a new one lol

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
New one is spare! :)

Remember the blue loctite and the torque wrench. ...perhaps someone has the proper torque setting for a ms150...I dont

pro94lt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep I now have a spare... I don't ever use a torque wrench on anything chainsaw related. Maybe that's why it spun...

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The flywheel key is used for indexing. It does NOT keep the flywheel from moving. If you can get it lined up where you want it and have thoroughly cleaned everything up, reinstall it and run the saw. Do not put anything on the tapered area of the crankshaft or flywheel. The torque of the nut and tapered fit is what keeps it in position.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
yup, I agree, the key is just a positioning device...but it sure helps to know where you are at if you are trying to line things up without it. I personally wouldn't try to put a flywheel down without a key. ... but that's me.

pro94lt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wouldn't have tried it but... 2 weeks out on the replacement was just 2 long of a wait. Plus i've got a lot of pruning jobs lined up in this 2 week period too, I laid a straight edge on the top of the flywheel and marked with a fine sharpie in line with what I hoped was the key, made a mark on the end of the crank where the keyway is that was my starting point but still took many attempts.