Ms 200T O-rings

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is just general info regarding those damned flip caps that drive most people nuts .I thought I'd put this on here before I forget .
The rings swell up because the ethanol in the gasoline causes them to get as stiff as a sailor returning from 90 days at sea, been there done that . .You couldn't get those things to seal again with a ball peen hammer .So you either break the cap and buy a new one for 9-10 bucks or replace the o-ring .That o-ring is 27 by 3 metric about $6.25 for 10 on flea bay .A lot cheaper than the whole cap . As matter of fact I had to replace one today .

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
4:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I’ve noticed that on a few other saws as well, the way I’ve got past it for a short time was to take the o ring off and flip it around, ie one side has got flat or got a crease in it. But it only works for a short while, because the thing is already as hard as a bishops finger while he’s busy scratching a nuns crunchy bit
:buitre:
maybe worth a thread or a list on the caps and which saws they fit and the o rings Sizes

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the two 200T's are the only two I have with flippys ,than heavens .Call me old school but I just plain do not like them .

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well at least it not the gas caps on Poulan saws that swell to a point that you large pliers to get them off.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a cap freeze on a 125 Mac it took a pipe wrench to get off .The saw developed a bad case of the white death. Ruined the cap. It took a lot of trips to e-bay to find another one

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Use alcylate fuel like Aspen or Trufuel and you will not have these problems. It is also better for the saw and your health.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This Aspen fuel thing has been mentioned for some time on many forums .Magnus kept mentioning it but unlike Europe North America simply does not have it available .What we do have is high tech moonshine made from corn that might have been better served for cattle feed and good whiskey .We've got corn ,I'm right in middle of it in the eastern side of the "corn" belt .
Now the 3 by 27 rings evidently fit more than just the MS 200T 's .Exactly which ones I'm not certain .

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This Aspen fuel thing has been mentioned for some time on many forums .Magnus kept mentioning it but unlike Europe North America simply does not have it available .What we do have is high tech moonshine made from corn that might have been better served for cattle feed and good whiskey .We've got corn ,I'm right in middle of it in the eastern side of the "corn" belt .
Now the 3 by 27 rings evidently fit more than just the MS 200T 's .Exactly which ones I'm not certain .
That’s crazy the flippy caps are only 4$ at the local shop so I just change the whole thing out.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The last I bought any they were $8.50 and I thought that was crazy .

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is the old style screw caps and the flip caps are within 50 cents of each other at my dealer. I’m in process of building an 020t for myself right now had both it and the 200 but probably keeping the 020 and selling the 200

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I put one together for my bud that was a case leaker .It had an 020 case with a 200T top .At one time you could buy a case with an entire rotating assembly on flea bay for 50 bucks .They had cooked top ends and a new OEM was half the price of a new saw so they got parted out .Since they now have aftermarket cylinders / pistons I haven't seen so many cheap cases . I have no idea if they amount to any thing I've always used OEM stuff on the 020 and 200T's .That had one flippy and one screw cap .
Of course when I recased it I changed the bearings and seals so in all he had a little over $100 in parts and I might have charged him another 40 .A new 200T then was a tad over $600 .I know he's still using it and that was at least 10 years ago .

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m thinking if they’re actually selling for 8-900$ on eBay I might sell both of them buy a new 194t to use for my deer stand saw and pocket the rest to put towards a 500i or something

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I see some high priced 020T's and 200's on flea bay but if they ever actually get nearly twice for what they sold for new might not be entirely accurate .You have to remember e-bay has a lot of BS artists and what you see might not be true .I once saw a Mac 1000 sell from 4 different locations because they used the same picture .I had it figured out when the first seller would not tell me what the minimum bid would be .After a while you can pick out a con artist and there are many ---just saying ---

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I see some high priced 020T's and 200's on flea bay but if they ever actually get nearly twice for what they sold for new might not be entirely accurate .You have to remember e-bay has a lot of BS artists and what you see might not be true .I once saw a Mac 1000 sell from 4 different locations because they used the same picture .I had it figured out when the first seller would not tell me what the minimum bid would be .After a while you can pick out a con artist and there are many ---just saying ---
Even if I could get that I’d feel guilty actually charging a new saw price for one rebuilt no matter how good they are or the demand. Friend of mine sold a near new looking one for 500 he asked what he should start at 500-550 because even though they’re in demand they brought about 800 new. And the 201t’s are good now since they worked the bugs out.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My bud Tom who is a trimmer has I think two 201's and they are shelved ,dislikes them .I don't know how many 200T's he's amassed that he does use .I've worked on a few of them,. He's a trimmer not a mechanic but has a local Stihl dealer who calls if he gets one in and Tom buys them very reasonably priced .

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Only one of the local guys I fix saws for has a 201 but he likes it, next spring after season starts im going to find a nice used or have Calgero buy a new one. Try one again, he didn’t like the one he had because it was one of the early ones with no power. Was before he knew me so I could have fixed it. I know some people don’t care for the spring av instead of gunner.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most guys here now are running 193/194’s that I muffler modded and added some timing too. They save the 200/201’s for big trees. But the 193/194’s are run every day, and everyone likes them a lot after they’re tweaked. The one guy with the 201 didn’t have a spare top handle other than a 2511t and it’s kinda small on some removals. His 201 needed a new carb on it and he had some work coming up so he bought a 194 for me to tweak so he had a saw till the 201 carb showed up and it now gets used more than the 201. He said while the 201 has more power than the 194 the 194 is lighter and has plenty for most removals. And the largest crew I do work for has several 193/194’s and they use them pretty steady and the oldest ones are about 5 seasons old so they hold up plenty well for a 339$ saw.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I really can't comment on the 193/194 because quite frankly I've never seen one .Onthat thought although it might sound odd I have an all metal Poulan top handle that is 1.9 cubic inch ,must be from the 70's that really doesn't do bad for it's age and displacements .Good balance and so forth .Alas it's a shelf queen because as seldom as I get in a tree any more I grab one of the 200T's .On that it's with a bucket truck .I'm not a spring chicken any more and my old Bashlin hooks are in my shed and doubt I ever use them again .