Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

jtp2

New OPE Member
Local time
5:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
i noticed the chain was not getting any bar oil. I removed the bar ,cleaned the flow port on the bar and the saw body (no change ).
I then dumped and screened the oil reservoir.(spotless).
I then put some gasoline in the reservoir for cleaning purposes and figuring it would flow better if there was an obstruction after the filter.(no change)
i then pulled the flywheel assembly checking the oil pump flinger ring.(all good)
I then pressurized the oil reservoir with air (had no air exiting the saw body port at the bar)

Is it possible that the oil filter is plugged or perhaps the line some how?

I was going to cut the filter off to see what happens.
thnx,john

Jason628

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i noticed the chain was not getting any bar oil. I removed the bar ,cleaned the flow port on the bar and the saw body (no change ).
I then put some gasoline in the reservoir for cleaning purposes and figuring it would flow better if there was an obstruction after the filter.(no change)
i then pulled the flywheel assembly checking the oil pump flinger ring.(all good)
I then pressurized the oil reservoir with air (had no air exiting the saw body port at the bar)

thnx,john

The filter should just be a screen. You can try removing it and cleaning it. Could be a blockage or hole in the line. The teeth on the worm gear look good? Does it turn smoothly?

Jason628

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You will probably not be able to get any noticeable amount of air to flow to the oiler by applying pressure to the tank due to the design of the pump. It's either a plugged pickup, broken/clogged pickup tube, damaged oil pump drive, defective pump or a clog in between the pump and oiling port. Make sure that the oiling adjustment is turned all the way up. You can inspect the pickup by using a hook or something to pull the line out of the tank. Oil pump drive is behind the clutch. Sometimes the wire comes loose and will just spin on the plastic part and not turn the oil pump. The entire kit with pump, pickup, screen and worm gear is less than $10 on ebay.

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
4:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

thnx,john

you mentioned you pulled the fly wheel. Isn’t the pump on the clutch side?

jtp2

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The filter should just be a screen. You can try removing it and cleaning it. Could be a blockage or hole in the line. The teeth on the worm gear look good? Does it turn smoothly?
yes sir on the worm gear and running....i will order the repair kit..thank u

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Ryobi RY10532, everything looked good, including the oil pump, then I noticed the round plastic drive gear looked worn. $12 later for the new pump and worm gear and it was flowing oil well. Then a month or so later, now I think it needs a carb. At least it was a free chainsaw! :-D