High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Mikes chainvises

redoakneck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I have had one for years, makes a huge difference. Use it all the time.

I sharpen milling chain on it instead of my grinder, lots of time, but makes the chain sharper and last longer.

IMG_20161006_131904339.jpg

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
130.00 shipped to lower 48 or trade for 2152/53/346/353 heated handle parts.

How does this vice compare to an fg2? I bought one a while back but haven't had a chance to check it out yet...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I'm in for the lottery!! Happy to pay the UK postage on top

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm planning on attending your GTG on 11/5 and will bring my Homelite410 vise for show and tell. You may want to start saving up cause you'll be buying one after you use one.

Great! I'd like to check it out. And I look forward to meeting you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
1:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How does this vice compare to an fg2?
Mike's vise holds the cutters rock steady for free-hand filing, or for use with the filing jigs mentioned. It also allows users to clamp the cutters on the rounded 'nose' of the vise, which lets custom filers, and race chain makers, to reach other parts of the cutters, which are difficult to reach on the flat part, or when mounted on a guide bar.

The STIHL FG-2 is like a Granberg file guide with a built-in vise. It allows users to get very consistent cutters, with dialed-in angles/settings, but not the range of custom filing that can be done with Mike's vise.

Both high-quality, higher-end filing aids, IMHO.

Philbert

WKEND LUMBERJAK

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mike's vise holds the cutters rock steady for free-hand filing, or for use with the filing jigs mentioned. It also allows users to clamp the cutters on the rounded 'nose' of the vise, which lets custom filers, and race chain makers, to reach other parts of the cutters, which are difficult to reach on the flat part, or when mounted on a guide bar.

The STIHL FG-2 is like a Granberg file guide with a built-in vise. It allows users to get very consistent cutters, with dialed-in angles/settings, but not the range of custom filing that can be done with Mike's vise.

Both high-quality, higher-end filing aids, IMHO.

Philbert

A+A+A+A+A+A+ Very good explanation

WOODS

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Below are pictures of my modification to attach an old vice-less G108 to a Mike's vice. I'm still learning to use the Granberg.

My shop needs a fierce cleaning.

The picture also shows how desperate I am to achieve a sharp chain - photo is not staged - if you look close you will see in addition to the Granberg, a Husky roller, Stihl FG4, a Timberline and a Gramn. Out of the picture is a Tecomec with a Dino wheel. Probably should just quit and hire mdavlee to sharpen my chains.

Ron

IMG_3990.JPG

IMG_3991.JPG

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not to sound a fool here but You put the vise in a bench vise then it clamps down on the deive links? This vise one size fits all drive link size I've always sharpened on the bar but obviously you could see better results with one of these guys That how this guy works mike?

junkman

Crush it
Local time
11:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not to sound a fool here but You put the vise in a bench vise then it clamps down on the deive links? This vise one size fits all drive link size I've always sharpened on the bar but obviously you could see better results with one of these guys That how this guy works mike?
Yes ,seems to hold them solid so they do not move when you file like they do when on the bar .

Homelite410

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes indeed. I use one in my bench vise for portability but they can be mounted however you like.

WOODS

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

The bench vice just holds Mike's vice. Mike's vice has a fixed jaw and a movable jaw with three "lever" bolts that tighten the movable jaw against the drive links. You can't see the bolts in my picture as they are on the other side. Also I removed the center bolt to mount the Granberg.

Ron

WOODS

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I am glad to see that you guys like and adapt the vises to what you need. If you all can think of any improvements, please let me know!

It would be nice if the radius was longer on the ends so the chain wouldn't snag. If I were just free hand filing I would also like it a little longer.

Fine as it is and great workmanship.

Ron