How many taps this year?

• Total voters

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
7:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I thought I started seeing buds already. The trees are confused.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like 2020 is gonna be a crap year for syrup. Anyone planning to tap in the next few weeks??

The hardest thing to predict is the future!

That said, I am so happy that we switched to tubing and vacuum and use new check valve spouts every year. It's really great not trying to guess when the best window to tap is. We can weather a warm spell in the middle of the season now, which otherwise would dry up the taps.

The cost of these 3/16 hybrid setups is so low, I think it's a great option for small producers.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Is it worth trying to make some from the old buckets and taps?

It would just be for us. We only use a gallon or two a year. Last jug lasted longer. The good stuff from Jer @ the NY gtg.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We won't be tapping trees for quite a while here, Im guessing 6 weeks.
It's been so mild here that there's no frost in the ground. I have doubts that the sugar content will be much at all. I heard that one of the larger local producers was going to tap this week, which is quite early for our area. Just trying to decide what to do... LoL

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

It would just be for us. We only use a gallon or two a year. Last jug lasted longer. The good stuff from Jer @ the NY gtg.
It's enjoyable even if you only make a couple quarts.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It's been so mild here that there's no frost in the ground. I have doubts that the sugar content will be much at all. I heard that one of the larger local producers was going to tap this week, which is quite early for our area. Just trying to decide what to do... LoL
We had five days of frozen surface ground for me to get after logs with the lift. Next week looks like a wash out second half, again. Wtf man...60's....no winter here...no sugar you say?

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The big guys always start tapping way early. If you've got 10-50k taps to drill, you'd better get after it! I know many of them start right after new year's. I actually saw some guys in Canada last year who tapped right after Thanksgiving in 2018 (and started collecting sap) and had sap until the end of April 2019. That's a five month season! I'm sure glad it doesn't last that long for us!

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I heard my neighbor tapping today. Only the top few inches of the ground is frozen. Its finally been cold enough that I'm not breaking through the water/mud with my tractor bring hay up and dumping manure.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just got word my neighbor got over 3300 taps in and ready to rock.

Agent Smith

Hack of all trades
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My gf's family here in Northeast Ohio does the maple syrup thing. They make a bourbon maple syrup which is some good stuff

Attachments

• IMG_20200202_232120.jpg
    IMG_20200202_232120.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 14

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I cleaned the sugarhouse and evaporator Saturday. My 9 year old helped me replace drop lines and add a few more trees on 3/16 tubing yesterday.

I'll probably wait till next Saturday, and if the 10-day forecast looks good, go for it. It only takes me an hour or so to put my 30 taps in, so no big deal to wait and time it right.

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Today looks like a big run, and then maybe Thursday, and it's cooling down after that. Maybe we'll get a freeze next week, and then it will be better.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Today looks like a big run, and then maybe Thursday, and it's cooling down after that. Maybe we'll get a freeze next week, and then it will be better.
Yeah I was just looking at the forecast. Not gonna hurt to wait a week or so. I tap about 50% silver maple so early budding is a little bit of a concern but we'll do what we can. Probably clean everything up this weekend. Should run over to Russell's for supplies soon.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

A friend taps trees down here in east TN. I am going to get some taps myself and replicate his small evaporator setup.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I vote for a 2020 thread. Being a southerner, I enjoy seeing how that liquid gold is made. I sure use my fair share of it since switching to it several years ago.