Looking for 2" OD conical air filter

CountryBoy19

Active OPE Member
Local time
12:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm trying to source a replacement for a long discontinued air filter for a Swedish jackhammer.

It's 185 cc (to give an idea of required airflow) and the housing is a cylinder about 4" long with an ID of 1.920".

I would like to find a conical air filter that will slide in the housing. I don't mind hitting the OD of the filter with a sander if necessary.

I know OPE often uses conical filters but I can't seem to find the filter I need by searching applications etc. Can anyone help with potential sources, or if you have something with a similar filter let me know make/model so I can look for a filter using that info?

CountryBoy19

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
https://strikeengine.com/air-filter-size-calculator-for-power-bhp/
Here is a good start.
Read, calculate, enjoy the info.
That's good info! I had to guess at the hp bc there is no listed hp in the manual. Due to the unique way this thing works I don't think one could even accurately measure hp because a lot of the energy from combustion goes directly into striking the tool through a 2nd, opposing piston.

That being said, I put in 8 hp, which is approximately half of an equal sized 2-stroke motorcycle and got 3.5 square inches of filter which tells me why the piece of foam filter material jammed in the housing was choking it out (that's less than 3 square inches).

I'm also a bit questionable about the accuracy of that calculator for 2-stroke engines. I would think a 2-stroke would be pulling higher CFM because it's drawing in combustion air every revolution of the engine. I may need double that amount of filter area.

The cutaway view of the jackhammer shows a conical filter in the housing, see included image. The air enters from below, passes through the filter then out of the housing near the top of the filter.

Attachments

• 20220201_142452.jpg
    20220201_142452.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 12

timg

Supporter of Cat Eating Komatsu Machinery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bore and stroke are the main contributing factors. Although yes air flow through intake valves -4 str. versus transfers -2 stk. may have an impact. But upsizing filter area sure won't hurt. I have some more info for calculating muffler sizing but we will leave that for another day. Thx. timg

r7000

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag