Lil Red Barn

MACHINE

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ordered a 036 piston, factory is 10mm wrist pin ,, the red barn came in with a 12mm pin,
Lee from red barn called me personally and made it right.

I have not heard from him if he found the problem or not

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why not go with either OEM or Meteor? They are both tried and proven.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is it Golf brand?

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Believe they are made by VEC. And to the question of why not Meteor or OEM, I ask why not? The price is much lower and so far they haven't given me any issue. Have one saw with out to a test logger, and its already got more time on it than most hobby/firewood types would put on their saw in their life time....no issues. Sometimes we make issues where there isn't one, often to sell or justify options that simply don't have an economic reason. For example, you can spend over $100 on a forged and with a special surface finish. For most here what is the true benefit? And it's OK to have the "bling" factor, I get that. So when I took the bait on these VEC piston's, I do so with eye's open to the supposed differences between them and literally all the other solutions. But decided to try these to make a point. :) SO far they have NOT disappointed. One of the better "bang per buck" options out there actually as they slip in an OEM cylinder. And I have YET to see an aftermarket cylinder for 372's that are as well designed and manufactured with materials at the same level as OEM (Mahle) despite what IR says...:) And yet again I love running these things with a back ground of knowledge of so many experts saying they shouldn't grace a good saw....but there they are. And the chips keep coming.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have heard of issues with Golf brand. Thus why I asked.
But I trust your judgement and field test results. [emoji106]

Bjorn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ordered a 036 piston, factory is 10mm wrist pin ,, the red barn came in with a 12mm pin,
Lee from red barn called me personally and made it right.

I have not heard from him if he found the problem or not

Lee is a very nice guy

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Believe they are made by VEC. And to the question of why not Meteor or OEM, I ask why not? The price is much lower and so far they haven't given me any issue. Have one saw with out to a test logger, and its already got more time on it than most hobby/firewood types would put on their saw in their life time....no issues. Sometimes we make issues where there isn't one, often to sell or justify options that simply don't have an economic reason. For example, you can spend over $100 on a forged and with a special surface finish. For most here what is the true benefit? And it's OK to have the "bling" factor, I get that. So when I took the bait on these VEC piston's, I do so with eye's open to the supposed differences between them and literally all the other solutions. But decided to try these to make a point. :) SO far they have NOT disappointed. One of the better "bang per buck" options out there actually as they slip in an OEM cylinder. And I have YET to see an aftermarket cylinder for 372's that are as well designed and manufactured with materials at the same level as OEM (Mahle) despite what IR says...:) And yet again I love running these things with a back ground of knowledge of so many experts saying they shouldn't grace a good saw....but there they are. And the chips keep coming.

To clarify and make sure I understand. Are you saying that the "GOLF" brand pistons are made by VEC?

MACHINE

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They deserve a round of applause for offering piston kits for the 'antique' saws we all love.[emoji106]

I used their Homelite XL-925 piston in a Remington SL-55. Just shortened the skirt length.[emoji108]
They are making Husqvarna 44 pistons now

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have heard of issues with Golf brand. Thus why I asked.
But I trust your judgement and field test results. [emoji106]
I haven't seen any issues. My first "Golf" (VEC) was for a Jonsered 820. Ran it ripping planks and general sawing for a season. I read "theoretical" issues all the time about them. Nothing that translates into actual demonstrable failure though. Lots of theory tossed around. For my part they have all worked to this point in time.

logger450

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have bought many popups from Lee for the 372s. Big bore and 50 mm. I have never had any problems with the pistons performance and fit and I use my saws every day. But I think I will stick with the OEM cylinders and veer away from big bore AM. Piston is one thing but the cylinder has a lot more going on. Lee did send me a wrong piston and said he would send me the right one, but it's been a while and he's not responding to my messages. We will see. He also told me that he was coming out with a 390 popup in mid April. Sadly no plans for the 385

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have bought many popups from Lee for the 372s. Big bore and 50 mm. I have never had any problems with the pistons performance and fit and I use my saws every day. But I think I will stick with the OEM cylinders and veer away from big bore AM. Piston is one thing but the cylinder has a lot more going on. Lee did send me a wrong piston and said he would send me the right one, but it's been a while and he's not responding to my messages. We will see. He also told me that he was coming out with a 390 popup in mid April. Sadly no plans for the 385

ditto, especially with OEM cylinders. Had terrible luck with the "trendy" AM cylinders plating & bore alignment when those saws were sent to my logger test sites. Actually have better luck to this point with Farmertec's cylinders! Any one who follows the channel will probably remember my less than stellar first impression of the Farmertec g372xt right? After the typical " De - X-torq " mods plus the VEC ( Little Red Barn Pop up ) and with a healthy sense of skepticism I sent it out to "Matt The Logger" and it's been his felling saw now ever since. Called me a few weeks back to see where I disappeared to , ( had some issues to work through) ; wanted to see if after 50 tanks I wanted him to continue.....called me last week said he quit keeping track of how much it's been used do I want him to continue....:) He likes the saw. That is huge. So much for the over analysis of how those pistons are manufactured. Let's see if it will last the season. If it does, will begin asking other questions about where to put money in a work saw. Think I need to acquire another couple & send them out to my other test sites to see if this is a trend.

Last edited:

logger450

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
ditto, especially with OEM cylinders. Had terrible luck with the "trendy" AM cylinders plating & bore alignment when those saws were sent to my logger test sites. Actually have better luck to this point with Farmertec's cylinders! Any one who follows the channel will probably remember my less than stellar first impression of the Farmertec g372xt right? After the typical " De - X-torq " mods plus the VEC ( Little Red Barn Pop up ) and with a healthy sense of skepticism I sent it out to "Matt The Logger" and it's been his felling saw now ever since. Called me a few weeks back to see where I disappeared to , ( had some issues to work through) ; wanted to see if after 50 tanks I wanted him to continue.....called me last week said he quit keeping track of how much it's been used do I want him to continue....:) He likes the saw. That is huge. So much for the over analysis of how those pistons are manufactured. Let's see if it will last the season. If it does, will begin asking other questions about where to put money in a work saw. Think I need to acquire another couple & send them out to my other test sites to see if this is a trend.
I have to say I would never build a saw with Hyway top. I have 2 sitting on my bench to remind me how much I hate them. Both had delamination and horrible squish. And the obvious IH catastrophe. There are people that love them and they can have them

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have to say I would never build a saw with Hyway top. I have 2 sitting on my bench to remind me how much I hate them. Both had delamination and horrible squish. And the obvious IH catastrophe. There are people that love them and they can have them
I had one last six months before the plating failed. A 372 52mm pop up & documented that. But it was another daily use saw in a logger camp. The reality is it didn't survive there. But the amount of time it had would take decades for most firewood/farm/hobby types to achieve. Another discussion I guess. I am certain there are some that last, some that display the characteristics we both have seen. But the focus typically in the hobby world is cookies vs. reliability over time. Lots of theory, less hard data. One thing I can say with confidence. A stock pro level saw from Stihl or Husqvarna , even Dolmar/Makita is going to justify its cost and is the best business decision for most pro outfits. BUT because there are those who are into saws as much as into their work, the better performance saws justify themselves because they add a "cool" and "fun" factor to what is work. The rationalizations aren't really required, but they will happen..:) Like in the race world, suspension/chassis really did matter and is analogous to a chain, but many would dump a gazillion into the motors. A fast saw makes the day go by better and sometimes even creates more work product so have multiple reasons to exist. But the AM stuff? Not really a good option in the pro world.

Last edited:

logger450

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I had one last six months before the plating failed. A 372 52mm pop up & documented that. But it was another daily use saw in a logger camp. The reality is it didn't survive there. But the amount of time it had would take decades for most firewood/farm/hobby types to achieve. Another discussion I guess. I am certain there are some that last, some that display the characteristics we both have seen. But the focus typically in the hobby world is cookies vs. reliability over time. Lots of theory, less hard data. One thing I can say with confidence. A stock pro level saw from Stihl or Husqvarna , even Dolmar/Makita is going to justify its cost and is the best business decision for most pro outfits. BUT because there are those who are into saws as much as into their work, the better performance saws justify themselves because they add a "cool" and "fun" factor to what is work. The rationalizations aren't really required, but they will happen..:) Like in the race world, suspension/chassis really did matter and is analogous to a chain, but many would dump a gazillion into the motors. A fast saw makes the day go by better and sometimes even creates more work product so have multiple reasons to exist. But the AM stuff? Not really a good option in the pro world.
Couldn't have said it better. Like watching your videos. Funny thing, my wife won't let me use her turkey oven.lol

logger450

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Golf, LRB and VEC all the same manufacturer from India.
Lee wouldn't tell me where they were made, but he did tell me that it cost $1000 to make the mold. That's why he has no plans for the 385

hotshot

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought his aftermarket Poulan 5400 piston kit, the ring end gaps are over a mm brand new. These are thick 1.5mm rings, not the OEM thin rings, but I knew that going in.

Sent them back, but got replacements that are the same. Lee said I had a worn out cylinder, lol.

So needless to say, I’d never buy anything from them again. Pure *f-word in lack of quality control.