Latest projects from firewood

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
6:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Live edge bowl is awesome. I'd love to see more of your work.

jockeydeuce

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Live edge bowl is awesome. I'd love to see more of your work.

Thanks!! @Wolverine

Here's a little bit more.....Don't want to load up the thread with too much of my crap. :)

Up where I am is what is considered Boreal forest. The only "hardwood" is paper birch, so I turn a ton of it, but spend lots of time hunting for birch burls. The treasure hunt is half the fun and most of the time I pack them out on a pack board, so good exercise. The figure in these is incredible sometimes. Some birch gets root crown burl, and that's where I get some wood with the eyes.

IMG_0981.JPG IMG_1034.JPG IMG_1035.JPG IMG_1289.JPG burl cut.jpg

quietfly

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks!! @Wolverine

Here's a little bit more.....Don't want to load up the thread with too much of my crap. :)

Up where I am is what is considered Boreal forest. The only "hardwood" is paper birch, so I turn a ton of it, but spend lots of time hunting for birch burls. The treasure hunt is half the fun and most of the time I pack them out on a pack board, so good exercise. The figure in these is incredible sometimes. Some birch gets root crown burl, and that's where I get some wood with the eyes.

View attachment 55020 View attachment 55021 View attachment 55022 View attachment 55023 View attachment 55024
that is some fantastic looking stuff!!!

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
that is some fantastic looking stuff!!!
Your stuff ain't too shabby either my man! Lol. Awesome what you fellas do with some of this wood. I'd like to give it a try one day in the future. Gotta get my daughter thru college first...then I think I'll give it an attempt for the 'tools' involved and hone my skills from there.

Hope your little bundle daughter is doing well my friend.

quietfly

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your stuff ain't too shabby either my man! Lol. Awesome what you fellas do with some of this wood. I'd like to give it a try one day in the future. Gotta get my daughter thru college first...then I think I'll give it an attempt for the 'tools' involved and hone my skills from there.

Hope your little bundle daughter is doing well my friend.
IMG_20170204_121222_246.jpg
She's doing pretty good!!!!

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
5:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice job on the Mallets!!!!
Thank you. I made four or five of them and gave most to friends, but this one is my favorite. The head is held to the handle with a wedge tenon joint. They never come loose. Here's another classic, called a carver's mallet:

I believe the handle here is hard maple and the head is locust. I should have kept this one because it's the only one I ever made.

Cigmaker

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's one of my favorite projects that this forum might get a kick out of. I took a chunk of white oak and made a pull cord handle.
Before:

Pattern:

After:

Installed:

I later moved it onto my 046 Mag -- a much nicer home for it. I keep waiting for it to break. It never has.

That is freaking awesome!

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
5:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I made three of these for holding reels of chain:

Each will hold close to 200' or two reels with shirt board separating each layer. The axle is ordinary conduit surrounded by an octagonal shroud, pinned to the axle. Here's the crank:

I used ordinary hardboard for the sides of the spool, but the rest is all oak. Sometimes I clamp the base in my bench vise to hold it so that the chain spools out flat.