Latest projects from firewood

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
7:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You eat outta them bowls n stuff? Just sorta curious. I had a guy make me a baseball bar once it was funny I guess it wasn't good n dry it was all curved up and strange after several months. Do you polish or seal them with anything

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes it does, a worm hole! Kinda glad it did(not unfortunate!), just adds to the character. No I don't eat out of them. Right now I'm just using BLO(boiled linseed oil), which is not food safe. I like the sheen it produces. Not real glossy and gives a great feel. They are more shelf sitting pieces than dinner ware.

Last edited:

Jeff Svoboda

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice peices. Talking finishes. I've read a little lately about finishing spalted wood sense I'm working on some at the moment. They say shellac will not yellow as much as blo. So I did a test and found it to be somewhat true. Here's a pic of the test piece. Shellac on the left and blo on the right. I happened to not test on a spalted piece but i think it would hold true. Shellac looks brighter also.IMG_20160427_173109037.jpg

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My thought is the 10-15 minute soaking with blo helps get oil deeper into the [very]dry piece, helping stabilize the reclaimed firewood. And also if you work with a lot of tiger/curly maple, blo can help accentuate that grain. The files I attached are something I found a long time ago, so they're not written by me. I have a preference towards wiping varnishes, like Watco danish oil and similar products. More layers = more shine and you can knock down the shine w/ fine steel wool. I have a product called Hope's tung oil varnish that I love, but can no longer get. The watco is close. Here's a project I made to show it's results.
Did you use an aerosol can or wipe on?

I like the satin look/feel.

Attachments

• curly maple finish pt2.txt
    2.1 KB · Views: 4
  • curly maple finish.txt
    3 KB · Views: 3

Jeff Svoboda

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very nice clock!!! I wiped it on with lots of coats. Sanding some in-between coats. I'll post some pics soon of the end results. It'll probably be on fch.com though.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I certainly don't mind! Ash? Looks great!