Junkyard Homies

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
1:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got very lucky with these 2 vintage Homelites. The XL12 I picked up at the scrap yard, I casually snagged it while unloading my trailer despite security cameras and employees being around I got away with it as well as an XP1000 that I sold. I had to order a new clutch cover and oil cpa for it and had a gas cap on hand. It shockingly runs good!
The Super XL AO I snagged from the landfill without getting caught, I had to order a new air filter cover and stud. For now it’s borrowing an oil cap and bar/chain from one of my project Super XLs.

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Make friends with the scrapyard. Do not casually snag things while folks are not looking.
They are strict and I know it. I’m not going to make friends with them, I am polite to them tho otherwise. I’m considering working for them one day which would allow me to take a few things, I know some employees do and it’s not too frowned upon in small quantity.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
3:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They are strict and I know it. I’m not going to make friends with them, I am polite to them tho otherwise. I’m considering working for them one day which would allow me to take a few things, I know some employees do and it’s not too frowned upon in small quantity.
I see. :(
As you pass through life I hope you learn that friends are better than enemies.

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I see. :(
As you pass through life I hope you learn that friends are better than enemies.
I’m not enemies with them either. If the right chance came up I would befriend them.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
4:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
I’m not enemies with them either. If the right chance came up I would befriend them.
How are you going to make friends with them if yo say you are not? What you speak into the world has a tendency to manifest. Just sayin’

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How are you going to make friends with them if yo say you are not? What you speak into the world has a tendency to manifest. Just sayin’
I should’ve worded what I said to Bill before differently. As of now I don’t have a good way to make frined with them or reason. If the right chance came up I have not reason not to.

SimonHS

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m considering working for them one day which would allow me to take a few things, I know some employees do and it’s not too frowned upon in small quantity.

Planning on becoming an employee so that you can steal a few things is not a good decision. Sit down and have a think about it. Do to want to be an honest, respected person or a scumbag thief?

You will develop a good working relationship with the scrapyard if you continue to be polite, remain honest, steal nothing and negotiate prices fairly.

They might start putting chainsaws, engines, tools, etc. on the side just for you. If you are buying such things at scrap weight then you have access to a goldmine. Why risk that access by stealing?

Have a good think about your future.

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The five finger discount isn't a good way to start adult life. If it's worth something to you, then buy it. Is it worth getting your mug shot taken for theft? It may be a scrap yard, but it's still a business.
Hold yourself to high standards. Treat others like you want to be treated. Be an honest person that will make people proud to know you.
I don't think any one here would approve of your discount.

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Planning on becoming an employee so that you can steal a few things is not a good decision. Sit down and have a think about it. Do to want to be an honest, respected person or a scumbag thief?

You will develop a good working relationship with the scrapyard if you continue to be polite, remain honest, steal nothing and negotiate prices fairly.

They might start putting chainsaws, engines, tools, etc. on the side just for you. If you are buying such things at scrap weight then you have access to a goldmine. Why risk that access by stealing?

Have a good think about your future.
Stealing things is not the main reason I would get a job there. I was considering working there anyways because I wouldn’t mind it. It’s not exactly stealing either since I paid for the weight. I know several people that know them, they are strict and don’t /wont put that stuff aside sadly. Maybe next time I’m there tho I’ll politely ask if they could start setting stuff like that aside for me to pay scrap price for or something.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well those who hate my stories do not read this one but it is very much related

As most know new steel is very expensive and is not going down. In high school and college welding programs steel is the highest priced consumable. It has killed many programs. We have two scrap mills within 30 miles of me. Many moons ago when I was in high school we got our flat stock for the welding program and round stock for the machining program from one mill.

Well when I started teaching I needed steel. I called the mill to see what they could do. Of course they only sell to large commercial customers. I talked to a guy there and I explained my situation. He said load up a trailer with whatever scrap you have and come on out. I show up there with maybe 3000lbs. The crane operator uploads it and says well I am not sure what I am supposed to load back on you as all we have now is 12" x 12" x 21' solid. Of course that was not going to work. Years ago we got 1/4" x 2" flat. He told me to come back in a couple weeks. Well I got busy and had my brother run out there. He came back with 1/2" x4" x 21' flat. Let me tell you it was a helluva lot more than 3000 lbs. Later I moved on to a new school and the lead welding and machining instructor was going to let a student take all the scrap. I said hey Jack please do not do that. He asked why and I just said I had a little better idea. I phoned the mill and asked if we could do an exchange. I talked to the right guy and the answer was yes. He said he would find some 1/4" x 2" for us. I then phoned a neighbor and had him swing by the school shop one morning. We loaded his trailer and off to the mill he went. Now this schools was a solid 50 miles from the mill but Bob is a great guy. The next morning when Jack, the lead instructor showed up there was a trailer with a nice big stack of new 1/4" x 2" x 21'. No charge whatsoever. About 10 years later Jack and I were talking to the administrator of the regional vocational school. He was lamenting about how much he was spending on steel. Jack laughed and said talk to Bill he has friends in the right places.

It pays to try to make connections with good folks.

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, your dream job is to work in the junkyard. Do the employees look like they are enjoying themselves? Good insurance? Any retirement plan?
We were all young once and didn't want to think about such things. Some day you'll be forced to look back on your decisions......or......just blame the government instead of your bad decisions.
If you don't want to go on to school, be an apprentice. Get into the trades.
Now is your chance, before you have a family to support. Do it!

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, your dream job is to work in the junkyard. Do the employees look like they are enjoying themselves? Good insurance? Any retirement plan?
We were all young once and didn't want to think about such things. Some day you'll be forced to look back on your decisions......or......just blame the government instead of your bad decisions.
I don’t mind thinking about this stuff. The employees do look like they r enjoying themselves or don’t mind it. Haven’t looked into their insurance or anything yet, I can’t work there until I’m 18 anyways due to liability and their rules.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very well said.
Logan is a good kid with a bright future but like many young folks (and old ones) lacks some focus. When I was around 13/14 my dream job was dairy farming. Whew I dodged that bullet. 🙂A bit later at 15 it was to become the District Soil and Water Conservationist. By 17 it was to be a high school Agriculture Teacher/FFA advisor. In college studying Agriculture I got a really good job with the US Army Corps of Engineers but still wanted to teach. My Dad told me in no uncertain terms how big of a fudging idiot I was if I left that job to teach. Well being hardheaded I did not listen and I did leave it. I went on to teach Agriculture for 7 years and the late nights and long trips took their toll. I switched to shop classes.

The best thing a young man or woman who is dead set against formal college can do is like stretch said pick a trade and excel at it. This country is going to continue to farm out our jobs to China and AI bots but how in the hell is an AI bot going to fix a downed power line at 3am or fix a 90 year old woman's furnace when it is -20F and she is in trouble.

Last edited: