JD X500 garden tractor PTO clutch noise

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
10:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
My garden tractor has a noise coming from the electric PTO clutch. It is there constantly when the PTO is not engaged. It sounds like a metallic slapping / tinking.
When the PTO is engaged the noise reduces a lot, and when the load is increased to the mower or by driving faster, the noise is close to eliminated.

My research and experimenting is directing me to the bearing on the lower side of the electric PTO clutch.

I plan to try replacing the bearing. And then adjust spacings and/or clearances if I can find the specifications, I am not yet finding information as to how to adjust or to what specifications.

Has any one here had experience with repairing these PTO engagement clutches. If so, are there any items that should have extra inspection or care? Is there some reference that you could direct me to, or a procedure for performing the rebuild.

-nbbt

GMB74

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back in my dealership days it was common for older tractors to develop that bearing noise. Customers always declined to have us replace the clutch just to cure the noise ( "I'll run it till it blows up!") and they would run for YEARS like that. We never rebuilt them because JD does not offer any internal parts, just the complete clutch. Not saying it can't be done, but you will have to find someone who has been in there, found a source for the parts needed, and successfully put it back together.

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
10:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
While getting ready to pull the clutch found that the shaft that is bolted to the clutch housing and is placed in the slot in the frame had loosened. Turning the clutch assy cc and ccw I could replicate a very similar noise. I then loosened the thread locked nut holding the shaft to the assy, re-torqued it and then verified that the bolt that goes through the center of clutch assembly into the crankshaft was tight.

The noise is currently eliminated. Lets see how long it lasts.