Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My biggest concerns are:
1) the huge, deep pits
2) the section between the bearing and seal is pretty rough. I am concerned portions of it may flake off and get into the bearings in the future.
@Backyard Lumberjack I am pretty sure the main reason for the saw's inability to pop off had mostly to do with the fact that there was water standing in the crankcase. Lots of it...

Glock37

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
blast and powder

but blast will leave the area thin your only recourse is get a other case

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, I found one on eBay that is reasonably priced, but it is listed as 038AV, Super, Magnum, blah, blah, blah. I sent a message to see what it was actually is. I heard you can use a Super case without much trouble, but not an AV case with the Magnum top end.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
blast and powder

but blast will leave the area thin your only recourse is get a other case

Wonder if it was a last resort if you could blast it, add some type of JB weld as a filler (crazy idea but may work), then powder over to seal the cases. What you think Mike?

Glock37

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ive thought about but i wouldnt want to chance the filler breaking loose and going thru bearings and transfers

If a little white i blast and powder over

Real bad white death after blasting it gets very thin and wouldnt hold 10 lbs over a long time

Better to replace case and start over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I feel that the case is junk. I have thought about epoxy, but I am concerned about it breaking loose.

Glock37

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can fill bottom or a side of case with filler and its fine but i dont like too in crankcase area

I have a case that needs blasted filled and powdered

Ill have to double check the intervals but i believe ok

B

Backyard Lumberjack

[QUOTE="Mark71gtx, post: 52177, member: 539"@Backyard Lumberjack I am pretty sure the main reason for the saw's inability to pop off had mostly to do with the fact that there was water standing in the crankcase. Lots of it...[/QUOTE]

oic, well, as we know... they don't run too well as steam engines... lol

Glock37

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can fill bottom or a side of case with filler and its fine but i dont like too in crankcase area

I have a case that needs blasted filled and powdered

Ill have to double check the intervals but i believe ok

I wanted to say was the crankcase area is good but the outside on bottom needs filled and smoothed but is a fine case

B

Backyard Lumberjack

My biggest concerns are:
1) the huge, deep pits
2) the section between the bearing and seal is pretty rough. I am concerned portions of it may flake off and get into the bearings in the future.

in looking hard at the decay... seems to me it is salvageable, given no decay has eaten into critical sealing areas... if at bearing seat, wouldn't bother me, i'd leave it alone... since bearing brings with it it's own structure... the seals would have to fit in their 'seats', and likely they will, the sealing side is to the crank's machined running surface. OD could be sealed with thin layer of say, Dirko. the crankcase area is a thick walled casting... and given the desire and time... working thru the crud with a dremel... should be just a decision to do it, or not to do it. I wouldn't want to breathe any of 'that' dust... etc. if It was my project, I would take each area as a separate project. once degrimed, cleaned and running, crankcase environment should take care of itself... once assembled a good pressure test might give some add'l confidence as to serviceability of the efforts...

Last edited by a moderator:

Glock37

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The place i d worry about is the very bottom once you blast that area it would be very thin or blow a hole in it

Media blast with 60 grit black beauty in a blast cab at 150 lb air

Husky's powder fresh it took almost 2 hrs to do a case and clutch cover

Stihl's take around 45 min s

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am going to give it a little time and see if I can come across a decent crankcase. If not, I may dive into this one, but I think it is highly unlikely that I will use this one.

Glock37

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Where are still looking they have a bunch of different shades depends on how he plastics

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am going to give it a little time and see if I can come across a decent crankcase. If not, I may dive into this one, but I think it is highly unlikely that I will use this one.
If your interested I think I might have a good case and crank. I'm not sure if it's a super or mag case. It's not pretty but I think it's in useable shape. I can't remember for sure. Im going out to my shop in a few minutes. I'll check it out

sefh3

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
How does the rod bearing look? Usually they are rusted from sitting in water.

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If your interested I think I might have a good case and crank. I'm not sure if it's a super or mag case. It's not pretty but I think it's in useable shape. I can't remember for sure. Im going out to my shop in a few minutes. I'll check it out
So I checked out the 038 case I have. The flywheel side is busted. The clutch side looks ok. The saw is locked up. It's been sitting around forever. I think the bearings are actually seized. You might be able to salvage the crank and the clutch side case half IDK. Your welcome to it if you want it.

Mag Craft

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I would not use that crank case it will bite you in the back side. That kind of corrosion in magnesium is hard to stop.
They call it the white death.

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for all of the options, suggestions, and warnings. The fortunate thing is I am a patient person. It will get back together someday...