I'm Coming To A Sad Realization

toolmaker

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Please don't think I'm raging on ya Brother. Quite the opposite. Reading posts sometimes come off diff than a ftf conversation. I'm just saying there are lots of people that would trade with ya. Make the best of it Brother. Sorry if my post seemed harsh. Wasn't meant to be.
Never took it that way. It's all good

toolmaker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a question here:
Many people above have mentioned priming the saw first by slowly pulling the cord and stopping when the piston is on the compression stroke, or possibly just past TDC on compression stroke.

Do these engines tend to stop rotating on the exhaust stroke most of the time?

It makes sense. Without any fuel or spark the compression would want to stop the rotating mass of the crank and piston

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would think a little 'detune' might just keep that saw within your arms a little longer. Loose some compression, maybe look at the timing and slow it a little, nice big D handle and a larger decomp. Those saws with increased compression along with timing and really be aggressive when starting. Also try to position piston just past TDC before giving it the beans.

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a question here:
Many people above have mentioned priming the saw first by slowly pulling the cord and stopping when the piston is on the compression stroke, or possibly just past TDC on compression stroke.

Do these engines tend to stop rotating on the exhaust stroke most of the time?

It makes sense. Without any fuel or spark the compression would want to stop the rotating mass of the crank and piston
Pulling right past tdc gives a tad more time to get crank moving before the next hit.

67L36Driver

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A rich mixture has a lot less tendency to kick back. The excess fuel has a cooling effect on the combustion flame front.

So, leave the kill switch in the off position and pull it over with the choke set two three times.

Then, open the choke half way, turn on the spark and pull it like it owes you money.

At least it works on my Homelite XP 1000, 100cc, no decomp.

Stihl owners with the ‘one lever does all’ are out of luck. [emoji58]

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Please don't think I'm raging on ya Brother. Quite the opposite. Reading posts sometimes come off diff than a ftf conversation. I'm just saying there are lots of people that would trade with ya. Make the best of it Brother. Sorry if my post seemed harsh. Wasn't meant to be.
So what you are really saying is stop whining and suck it up. :eaea:

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It takes a real man to talk about this subjects!! Lots of great advice! The husky decomp helps! along with a prime,the fuel slows the flame front. The big old kart Mac’s can be a b!($& word without some help! 235psi and 129cc will test anyone. I have gotten the decomp and extra fuel down to the point we’re it’s pretty easy to start

JugHead27

I'd rather be called gay
Local time
6:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
maybe you could rig up a drill to turn it over. Not sure, just a thought though.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's where I foolishly just tried to start the big girl buy yanking away, the I slowly rotated the piston just past tdc . It's a 6 cube cylinder to fill with fuel mix without the a decomp so it takes a minute for it to hit after a year. The elasto start stihl handle certainly softens the blow.