toolmaker

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
..............and it sorta hurts.
I'm 60 yrs. old, not a logger, but I have a love for saws. Used to burn 6 to 8 cords every winter when I was married. I'm a Journeyman Tool & Die Maker and have been teaching my craft for 25 years in a Technical School.
Health problems too. Arthritis, Double bypass surgery when I was 43, bad Knees, prone to Kidney stones. I even died once for 43 seconds on the operating table while having Kidney stone surgery, woke up with 5 broken ribs, a catheter, and a naphrostomy tube coming out of my back.

I'm a weekend warrior on the saws. I have a campsite along a trout stream where I dammed it up and have it full of 2 ft. plus trout that I feed every day. Love to go out there on weekends and cut some wood and have a big frickin' fire and sit there til midnight and listen to the yodel dogs howl.

Well, I've been having a lot of pain lately, and through the process of elimination I have narrowed it down to my built 460. Some times when I pull the cord it rips the handle out of my hand so hard that it hurts my wrist. when the handle slings across my belly it hurts. After I use it for a few hours, especially if it kicks back on me, I pay for it for 3 or 4 days. Neck, shoulders, arms, hands. I wake up at night and can't feel my hands from numbness. I guess my body is not as strong as it used to be, and I 'm not the young buck that I once was.

It's sad. It bothers me.

I went out to the log landing last week and offered my 460 to the logger to "try" how I sharpen my chains. It was really a test, but he didn't know it. He's probably in his mid-30's, been a logger with his Dad all his life. He ripped the cord a coupla' times and the saw came to life. Bucked a few logs and handed it back to me with a smile. But I was frowning inside. He made me realize that the problem is me.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
2:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry to hear...yeah, I think we all deal with this in our own way. My dad died relatively young and when he was a young man, he was extraordinarily strong, both mentally and physically. A few weeks before he passed, he and I had a long chat about life and he was having a hard time accepting the face that he wasn't the same man he'd been 20-25 years prior. I told him "Well, you've got other things going for you now - wisdom, all of the experiences you've accumulated in your life, your family and friends" and that made him feel better.

So when you get to thinking about the aging process, just remember all the good things you've done in your life.

Thumper88

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My dad is 68 and has lived a hard life. Back breaking, outside manual labor his whole life both for a living and on the farm. He cant lift his arm over his shoulder anymore. He is the beat faller I know, and can do stuff I cant even begin to do technical wise, but I have to start the saws for him now, and he cant climb anymore. He tried to start my 390XP a few months ago and it messed his arm up for the day. But the wisdom, advice and knowledge is priceless. He might not be able to do it but he can fill volumes with what he has passed on and is still passing on to me. Just stay as active as you can and help pass it to the next generation

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
4:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm 66 and don't move as fast as I used to. I still cut and split all of my firewood and still use my big saws, including a 460. I just don't work as long or as hard as I once did. The aches and pains are there but I've found that if I limit the amount of time I spend doing labor intensive tasks each day, I recuperate quickly.
I know it's not going to get better but I hope that by staying active, I can slow the declination down, at least some.
Getting old ain't for pussies!

old guy

Love me some Husqvarna
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, I know how that goes. I'm 81 now, been busted up much, 3 broken collar bones, 3 broken ribs 3 times, sternum severely bent, broken fingers, broken wrist, hip pelvis damage, right kneecap gone and my left leg is full of screws & plate & is 2'' short.
But I can still sit on my stool & buck up firewood for my neighbors for a couple of hrs. at a time. They bring in logs for me.
I have some saws I can't start anymore and it sure hurts when they kickback on me.

Thesandman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dang Toolmaker; We all have to make adjustments with health and age. It beats the alternative. Just volunteer to help vets! Drive em to appointments, meals, yard work etc. Hang out with paralyzed, stroke victims, people younger than you in wheel chairs then thank the Lord for where you are right now Brother. Then have Kevin build ya a 4910 that will put a smile on your face. Life is GOOD

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It has a decomp valve

You could take it out and drill the outlet hole a bit oversize to bleed a bit more compression off.
The aforementioned Husky decomp and D handle are good helpers too.
Also here's a vidja I made at a customers request on how to help get his saw started.
Best of luck to you and your saw!

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
2:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m only 40 and everything already hurts…Dangit.
I hear you, I will be 41 in April and every morning that I get upright I feel like I fell out of a tree! But a combination of positive attitude and stubbornness gets me going and by noon the pain melts away....at least till dark.

Last edited:

old guy

Love me some Husqvarna
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You could take it out and drill the outlet hole a bit oversize to bleed a bit more compression off.
The aforementioned Husky decomp and D handle are good helpers too.
Also here's a vidja I made at a customers request on how to help get his saw started.
Best of luck to you and your saw!
D handle really helps, Steve, I have one on a 044-046 hybrid along with the big husky decomp but once it fires it kick that shut also, then it's one thump & pain, I guess some young Guy is going to have to own this.
I havn't tried my 372s or the 7900 Dolmer yet this year but I think They'l go.