Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, I'm still following the barbecue rabbit hole, so of course I need a good cooler for resting butts, briskets, etc. I started doing research on rotomolded coolers, like those made popular by Yeti. Long story short there's about 15 companies selling these things. Pros and cons to all of them, but the one that stuck out to me is Cordova. Completely USA made and super reasonable price.

A 48 quart Cordova is $209 with free shipping. While browsing they offered me 10% off with a coupon code if I gave them my email. Save10now is the code. Well, I added a cooler to my cart and went to add the discount code. It worked, so I tried save20now, which also worked, for 20% off. So, a 48 quart cooler is down under $170 before tax. A yeti tundra 50 has slightly less capacity and sells for about $380. Also, it's not necessarily made in the US.

There's a bunch of other cool features with the Cordova that led me to them (notably the latches), but I'll let you guys check them out if you're interested. Just thought I'd pass on the info on a good deal for a solid US made product. Will update once I get mine.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
5:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
For the budget minded it's pretty hard to beat the lifetime high performance coolers...

I got my 55 quart online for under a 100 and have liked it so far. Ice retention has been shown to be very close to yeti in performance and they are usa made.

Downside is not much in the way of accessories (baskets, dividers, etc.)

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For the amount of time and acceptable temperature loss for resting meat, I've found just about any cooler not made of styrofoam more than adequate as long as the extra space is filled with something like towels. No need to overthink it boys.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For the amount of time and acceptable temperature loss for resting meat, I've found just about any cooler not made of styrofoam more than adequate as long as the extra space is filled with something like towels. No need to overthink it boys.

I know, this is certainly NOT a necessity, but I've been wishing a could afford a yeti for a long time. I'm not just gonna use it for barbecue. We go on 3-4 day canoe trips every year and we use coolers for cider and frozen meat at the farmer's market. I have several coolers of various sizes in various states of disrepair. These Cordovas have a lifetime warranty. Heck if they last a decade or more, I'm gonna call it a win.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have several RTIC’s...in roto-molded two 45’s, two 65’s, one 110, one 20...Soft Pack 30, Soft Pack 40, and a couple of RTIC 28-can Day Coolers. RTIC makes a damn good cooler when compared to spending the higher coin on Yeti.

Also have three Coleman Xtreme-5 70 qt coolers and several other 48-50 qt Coleman’s. Any plastic outer or roto-molded cooler will work just fine as far as resting butts, briskets, etc in them...wrapping the meat in foil and then with towels, etc makes the difference in resting temps.

Last edited:

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have several RTIC’s...two 45’s, two 65’s, one 110, Soft Pack 30, Soft Pack 40, and a couple of RTIC 28-can Day Coolers. RTIC makes a damn good cooler when compared to spending the higher coin on Yeti.

Also have three Coleman X-treme-5 70 qt coolers and several other 48-50qt Coleman’s. Any plastic outer or roto-molded cooler will work just fine as far as resting butts, briskets, etc in them...wrapping the meat in foil and then with towels, etc makes the difference in resting temps.

Yeah, I made this post specifically because of coolers like the Rtic and Blue coolers which are similar to yeti but cheaper, and made in China. These Cordovas are the same price or cheaper and 100% domestic.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag

If we are talking pure ice retention I agree totally Tim. However, I'm hard on gear and needed something more durable for camping/rough use. Hence the grizly bear rating on the lifetime. I refuse to buy into the consumer hype surrounding the Yeti brand coolers so ended up choosing the best budget cooler for my needs. These things are just like with chainsaws. Pleanty of options to fit everyone's different needs.

timg

Supporter of Cat Eating Komatsu Machinery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the post Ryan. Here's some more input on the subject. Thought I was doing good on the Igloo made in Texas. Cold drink only app for me. First year worked great. This year it won't hold ice for two days. Don't know why as the gasket and latches are as new. It may be grizzly proof but now can't stand the heat. I don't recommend this one any more. Hope this helps someone!!

Attachments

• IMG_20200811_104610639_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200811_104610639_HDR.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20200811_104636990_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200811_104636990_HDR.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20200811_104617681_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200811_104617681_HDR.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 48

Logsdendave

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That sounds like a good deal on Cordova coolers. I bought orca and very happy. For my 2 cents

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If we are talking pure ice retention I agree totally Tim. However, I'm hard on gear and needed something more durable for camping/rough use. Hence the grizly bear rating on the lifetime. I refuse to buy into the consumer hype surrounding the Yeti brand coolers so ended up choosing the best budget cooler for my needs. These things are just like with chainsaws. Pleanty of options to fit everyone's different needs.
I hear yah. I've always been an ice buyer and garage sale cooler buyer. To me they're throw away. I have enough glamour saws, I can't get into the glamour cooler game too.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My understanding, the Arctic Zone Titan Deep Freeze series (20qt and 50qt) roto-molds are pretty decent coolers...I've never had one but a couple of buddies say they retain ice pretty well.

full chizel

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought an Igloo IMX 70qt for $159 (it was $199 but i had a 20% off coupon) at Ace Hardware last year and its been great so far on all our camping trips. Last month we camped for a week with the temps in the upper 80’s and humid. I fill the cooler with drinks and added a 20lb bag of ice the day we left (saturday). Wednesday it still had some ice floating and the water was ice cold. I added another 7lbs of ice and that lasted until Sunday when we left for home. My buddies Yeti had a little more ice but real world our drinks were just as cold so i won’t complain about spending $300 less.

https://www.igloocoolers.com/collec...ducts/imx-70-qt-cooler?variant=32110222737491

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know, this is certainly NOT a necessity, but I've been wishing a could afford a yeti for a long time. I'm not just gonna use it for barbecue. We go on 3-4 day canoe trips every year and we use coolers for cider and frozen meat at the farmer's market. I have several coolers of various sizes in various states of disrepair. These Cordovas have a lifetime warranty. Heck if they last a decade or more, I'm gonna call it a win.

Post a link please. Thanks

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have several RTIC’s...in roto-molded two 45’s, two 65’s, one 110, one 20...Soft Pack 30, Soft Pack 40, and a couple of RTIC 28-can Day Coolers. RTIC makes a damn good cooler when compared to spending the higher coin on Yeti.

Also have three Coleman Xtreme-5 70 qt coolers and several other 48-50 qt Coleman’s. Any plastic outer or roto-molded cooler will work just fine as far as resting butts, briskets, etc in them...wrapping the meat in foil and then with towels, etc makes the difference in resting temps.

I've put plenty of butts and briskets in coolers. This advice is solid.

But I am also interested in purchasing a cooler that keeps ice longer.