High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

I am a reloader.

alleyyooper

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Started off hunting with 30-30 winchester rounds my dad bought from a fellow he worked with in the very early 1960 while still in high school.

By 1969 I was out of high school and shooting a lot of informal trap so started reloading for my 16 ga shot gun with a mec 650JR that used bars and no bushings.

I next started reloading my own 30-30 ammo about 1970. Used a RCBS single stage press before the rock chucker was thought of and a balance beam scale. used powder dippers to get close then trickle in untill the scale was perfect blanced

Bought a 12ga shot gun so bought another Mec 650jr with a bar that used bushings. I bought extra dies for it so I could reload 20ga and 410s too.

I bought a 308 cal rifle in early 1970 also and started reloading for it.

I have found it a very relaxing hobby over the years. I do most of my reloading in the winter on cold and blustery rotten days.

I now reload for the 22 Hornet down loaded to 22lr speeds, 220 Swift, 243 winchester, 7mmo8, 308, and 300 win mag. I also reload for the 38Spl. and 357 mag. I still use that single stage press, but have added a big tumbler, a powder drop, a hand held primer installation tool, case trimmers and a E scale.

My shot gun loading stuff has pretty much changed except my 16 ga. I have a pair of Mec 9000 presses for the 12 ga and 20 ga shot gun and do not mess with 410 at all.

As I said earlier I find it a relaxing hobby and really enjoy it. I also like the satifaction of harvesting animals with ammo I put together my self.

Al

460 magnum

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I reload for most all of my shooting needs except for the steel shot I use for water fowl hunting.

22-250 My favorite to load and shoot. I used an old Remington action and put a remage (uses a barrel nut like the savages) barrel 1-9 twist on it with a 2 lbs trigger and a choate tactical stock it weights 13lbs with scope. Man its a tack driver with 69gr SMK bullets
65 creedmoor

45 acp

12 & 20 gauge

It is a very satisfying hobby for sure.

LOMartin

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I reload also.

slowly collecting Dillon 550’s as I find used.

currently have 3 550’s.

1: 550 is setup to process .223 and .308 deprime sewage trim

2: 550 is setup to reload .223 and .308

3: 550 is setup to mostly reload 9mm and sometimes I do a little batch of .45 and 38. Bayou Bullets mostly.

I have a Dillion case feeder on the pistol machine which upped production like crazy.

It’s great when I have time to crank away some rounds but haven’t had time in a few years since I stopped shooting USPSA.

Your last comment is the most memorable. I got into the hunting/reloading game later then most coming form a big city but took down my first deer with my hand loads.

Do you Chronograph your loads?

alleyyooper

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My brother and I for many years shared our reloading tools. when he got married and moved to his own home we split up the equipment pretty much equal for our needs. He took one Mec 650 and the 20 ga and 410 dies, I took the Mec 650 16 ga since I had the only 16ga. I got the old RCBS press and most of the dies as I had bought most. He got the chronograph, since he liked messing around all the time. I found loads I like and have stuck with them.

How ever when I got my Swift 220 and working up a load for it I used it.
He passed away 2 weeks ago some one got all his reloading stuff and other things, I figure his daughters hubby.

Al

breese

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A few weeks ago I decided to get into reloading. Being on a tight budget I managed to find a used Lee Load-Master with lots of extras.
Problem I ran into right from the start is the previous owner did not take real good care of it.
So I grabbed all the info I would find and did a full teardown, cleaning, and properly lube everything as per Lee.
I then went an purchased a new set of Lee 9mm dies...

Lee 001.JPG Lee 002.JPG Lee 003.JPG 9mm Dies.JPG

My first batch of 20 9mm's proved interesting to say the least.
Turns out this press has COL issues when loading and Lee knows about it.
The fix required a new set of die turrets that actually Don't Move when reloading.
Anyone else with this problem, I highly recommend these die turrets!!
http://mikesreloadingbench.com/mrb2018_004.htm

460 magnum

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My brother and I for many years shared our reloading tools. when he got married and moved to his own home we split up the equipment pretty much equal for our needs. He took one Mec 650 and the 20 ga and 410 dies, I took the Mec 650 16 ga since I had the only 16ga. I got the old RCBS press and most of the dies as I had bought most. He got the chronograph, since he liked messing around all the time. I found loads I like and have stuck with them.

How ever when I got my Swift 220 and working up a load for it I used it.
He passed away 2 weeks ago some one got all his reloading stuff and other things, I figure his daughters hubby.

Al

Dang man sorry to hear that.

alleyyooper

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I even reload my 20 gauge slugs for my Remington 870 Slugger.

I am useing Federal hulls once fired. I learned I needed a tool to flare the hulls mouth a bit. I made my own rather than spend the big bucks. think I might have 20 cents into it counting my time and thr ebit of sand paper.

My roll crimp tool is from Russia, I was surprized with the quialty.
Works well but remember to apply a bit of sizeing lube or vaseoline before use.

Load the SPW sabot and slug.

A dose of Blue dot powder, same stuff i use in thr 38 and 357.

Insert the sabot and slug then roll crimp.

And do not for get to double check the E scale with a balance beam. Use extra care if you have florcent lights if you use a E scale. they do effect the scale if they are not E starters models.

Al

Stem

Professional Cup Stacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I started reloading 12 gauge back in the mid/late 90's when I was in middle school, I shot in a competitive trap league for many years. Got into reloading rifle & pistol about 10 years ago. I have two MEC 650's for 12 gauge, a RCBS rock chucker for most of my rifle & pistol loading & a Lee Loadmaster to make short work of depriming, resizing & belling case mouths of pistol rounds.

Handguns I load 9mm, 45 acp, 38/357, 41 Mag & 44 Mag.
Rifle I load 22 hornet, 204 ruger, 223, 22-250, 243, 308, 6.5x55 Swede (my Savage 110 based build), 270, 30-06, 7mm mag, 300 win mag, 300 WSM.

Much like sharpening chain & shooting, reloading is relaxing for me & truly something I enjoy doing.

Spladle160

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I reloaded in college to shoot John C. Garand matches and a little bit of everything else on the side. The guy who ran the Petroleum research and recovery centers machine shop was really into shooting and teaching others so he taught reloading as an extracurricular. I got college credit to reload. In a professional machine shop, With quality reloading equipment and top notch on site guidance. It was awesome. There we're 5 gallon buckets under everything full of every imaginable kind of brass. The only odd thing was almost all the powder we used was old military pull down. We would get it 50 or 100lbs at a time but when a batch ran out you had to run a set of test loads again. One of these days when I get more space I'll get set up to reload again. It's almost blasphemous shooting factory ammo out of precision rifles. I got an idea for how much factory ammo you have to test to find a good load when I got a .22 bench gun. I bet I went through upwards of 30 lots of ammo to find one that really shot well consistently and then bought a case of it.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been reloading for about 15 years. The main thing I like is making ammo that is exactly the way I want it. I'm not a big fan of most factory ammo and can always find a reason to nitpick something I don't like about it. Loaded too hot or too mild, bullet not heavy enough, jacketed bullet when I want a lead bullet, bullet not the right profile, doesn't produce enough FPS in my particular gun, I could go on and on. I even reload factory ammo sometimes. Case in point: cheapo Russian steel case .223. It shoots surprisingly well out of my rifles with modest fouling. I pull the FMJ bullets and install a Hornady or Sierra soft point. Now I have cheap ammo with good bullets!

That being said, most of my basic practice is with .22's these days. The fundamentals of stance, grip, sight picture, and trigger pull are exactly the same. Working two jobs and with a 4 year old I just can't spend hours a week casting and reloading like I used to.

460 magnum

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Some good looking deer. Even better yet they shoot good and don't cost $15+ a box of 5 slugs. If I PM you would you feel comfortable sharing load data? If not that's cool too I know there is a lot of liability of sharing loads, but I also know all loads should be worked up if you already have a proven load such as yours.

460 magnum

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yes sir. I really like them. Have another on the Dillon 550 up on the shelf. Easy to swap them out when I really want to crank out some ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have been eyeing them I would like to get one one of these days.

alleyyooper

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I buy conponets here.
http://slugsrus.com/20-GA-SPW.html
20 slugs and wads for $15.00, .75 each plus primer and powder. Possiable a dollar a round? way better than 5.00 a shot.

They list load data for 20 ga here.
http://slugsrus.com/Load-Data-20GA.html

They work are accrite and do not cost you a months wages for finished reloaded 20 rounds.

In fact you do not even need a loading press to do them. Yes I resize my hulls in my Mec 9000 and press the primers in with it.
but I measure my powder out dump in the hull, tap the hull a bit to settle the powder and insert the wad and slug press it in by hand then roll crimp them.

Loaded some 308 rounds while it was raining today till I ran out of my favorite 308 powder.

Switched to loading some 7mm08 with bullets my brother gave me from his search for a decent load for his 284 winchester.
I won't hunt with these but they make great rounds th epunch paper and practice shooting.

Al

onlybrowning

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I learned to reload as a teen from my then girlfriend’s dad. Spent lots of time and lots of money on many of my Browning rifles to get those pet loads. Love reloading for revolvers too. .38, .357, .44mag (that’s a fun one because you can load real light loads and plink away or real wrist breakers), .480 Ruger, and .475 Linebaugh.

I had a room in my old house all set up with a solid bench bolted to the concrete floor. That Rock Chucker press was as solid as can be.

In my new house (an old farmhouse), I just don’t have the space in the basement. I miss reloading a lot, just need a different setup than I had, and more time.

I agree that it is a very satisfying hobby. I look at all my components and think “I gotta get to ghat soon.”

I’m interested in a progressive press for the revolvers, just haven’t done it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk