Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
6:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wonder how they {pre-stretch} a chain....

Easy, put a Swede on one end, 'nother Swede on the other end and holler PULL! Disclaimer: No Swede's were harmed in the making of this joke. If any Swede's were offended by this joke, please refer yourself to the GFY thread for one hour, or until your over it, whichever comes first. Then come back and have a laugh.

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
A lot of Swedes up there??
I remember when I drove through Wisconsin when I was 19, got pulled over by a trooper on a logging/iron mine road,
and the trooper spoke with such an accent that I thought, "Where in the hell am I???"

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A lot of Swedes up there??
I remember when I drove through Wisconsin when I was 19, got pulled over by a trooper on a logging/iron mine road,
and the trooper spoke with such an accent that I thought, "Where in the hell am I???"

Yah der hey. Germans, Norwegians and Finlanders too. Very common to hear broken English when I was a boy. Hardly ever now, most of them old timers are gone.

Last edited:

Wilhelm

I'm here for the sick'n twisted company
GoldMember
Local time
1:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
... The first chain (SP33G) to leave the factory in Husqvarna is optimised for professional use in the Nordics (where tree types generally are softwood species and are of smaller diameter) and consumer chainsaws elsewhere including the UK. ...
I wonder where the problem lies running a "hardwood optimized chain" in softwood.
Also, other than having a smoother cutting experience how much faster can one buck & limb "smaller diameter" softwood?

... Long-lasting sharpness
The design of the cutters and the micro-structure of the steel and the chrome layers have been refined to give the X-CUT chain a sharpness out of the box that lasts considerably longer before filing is needed. In lab conditions, the chain’s sharpness lasts 10% longer than a comparable Husqvarna H30 chain.
Two mayor issues I have with this claim:
- out of the box sharpness, thus once filed or ground it is no longer superior?
- it stays sharper 10% longer in lab conditions - and we all know that those reflect real life conditions ...

... High cutting efficiency
To maximise cutting efficiency, the X-CUT chain is engineered to cut faster and smoother, and with a well-balanced cutter angle. Compared to relevant competition, X-CUT SP33G cuts faster and more efficiently. Lab results measure up to a 10% higher efficiency than the previously mentioned H30 chain.
??? Also "lab conditions tested" ???
??? Also only while "out of the box" fresh ???

... Recommended price for the X-CUT SP33G saw chain in UK will be £24.00 for 13 inches, £27.00 for 15 inches and £29.00 for 18 inches. ...
Thanks, but no thanks!
It is a chain that is supposedly 10% faster and durable while fresh "out of the box", do I get free factory re-sharpening with these prices so that the chain actually stays 10% better throughout its entire life?!
Seems to me like they are advertising a groomed beautified duck as a golden goose.

DISCLAIMER:
Just to be clear, I have absolutely nothing against Husqvarna (or any other brand for that matter).
I am also for as much market competition as possible as it will drive development and progress, as well as force competitive (affordable) pricing.
But that product description just didn't sit well with me.

I know that Oregon, Stihl & Co. format their product descriptions the same way - that is why I don't actively look them up, lest read them!

P.S.:
I realize this is a rather specific chain, narrow kerf I believe.
I never used such chains, thus my post is rather centered around the product description itself rather than the product which might be a very good one! ;)

Thank You for reading! :beer-toast1:

Dingeryote

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Easy, put a Swede on one end, 'nother Swede on the other end and holler PULL! Disclaimer: No Swede's were harmed in the making of this joke. If any Swede's were offended by this joke, please refer yourself to the GFY thread for one hour, or until your over it, whichever comes first. Then come back and have a laugh.

To be fair, if ya offer any of the Swedes around here a free Beer, they will stretch the living f**k outta anything, and beat the crap outta any Dutchie that tries to sneak in on the deal.

ElsieJ.jpg

My Buddy Carls Grand dads boat....Dude on the left is Carls Dad as a young punk.
Back in the day, busting 5' of ice to get back into port.
The Swedes were leadlining whitefish all winter, while the Dutchies were too timid to take the risk.

There is a reason the Swedes still innovate, and take risks.

They can't help it.;)

ETA...

She's still afloat.
Late%20Sep.%2015%20037.jpg

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wonder where the problem lies running a "hardwood optimized chain" in softwood . . . how much faster can one buck & limb "smaller diameter" softwood?

(Gets interesting around 6:45)

Chain angles can be optimized for any type, species, condition, etc. of wood, especially under controlled, laboratory condition. Might just be slight tweaking of the sharpening angles to get a statistically significant improvement. Of course, optimizing for one type of wood, may mean that it is slightly less good on another. The 30°/60°/0° angles (as I was told) are for 'the majority' of people, cutting 'typical' wood. If you only cut balsam fir, say on a Christmas tree farm, then you probably want different angles than someone cutting on a bubinga wood plantation in Africa.

- out of the box sharpness, thus once filed or ground it is no longer superior?
. . . It is a chain that is supposedly 10% faster and durable while fresh "out of the box", do I get free factory re-sharpening with these prices so that the chain actually stays 10% better throughout its entire life?!
Good point. Note that Oregon is making similar 'out of the box' claims on their new, narrow kerf, 95XL chains. Again, I see this as being optimized for one application, based on marketing goals. Maybe, now that we live in a Starbucks world (at least here in the US), companies will start offering barista ground variations of the same chains, sold under different SKU numbers?

Thank You for reading!

Certainly one of the more colorful posts in a while!

Philbert

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I just got a p.m. back from someone at Husqvarna, or at least someone monitoring their site, and they say that they will get back to me with some info.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got the info from Ann Elizabeth Jacobsen from a Husky saw group.
* In case you follow that link, it does not discuss the new chains. GOOGLE translated below*

Philbert

"Today is International Women's Day and we've talked to Ann Elisabeth Jacobsen, a woman in a male-dominated profession. Ann Elisabeth is self-employed in gardening, playground inspection and tree felling with chainsaw permissions A, B, C, D and E. She is also an instructor at A and B levels.
It sounds like a lot of chainsaw and trees in your everyday life?
- Yes, I have worked professionally with chainsaw since 2004 and in recent years it has become quite a lot of trees and the more you hold on, the harder the tree becomes.

What is the allure?
- Maybe it's the adrenaline-rush. I'm the type who likes excitement and new challenges, combined with being out and work physically. For me this is the women and the engine cuts not so very remarkable. My mom got her first chainsaw in the early 80s so that the girls can say that I know.

You will be questioned as female chainsaw users?
- Many are positive, but there are certainly skeptical people who think it is a man's doing. In fact I do not think that gender plays a role when it comes to my work, it's the chainsaw that does the job. Should we generalize it may even be that a woman happy to think twice before she expose themselves to the risks and have better security thinking.

You who have two daughters, they are just like you, have been infected by the mother's interest?
- Yes, my oldest who is 20, will probably soon start sawing. She is artistically inclined, so it is perhaps carving in front of the precipitate.

What do you give advice to other women who want to start using a chainsaw?
- Do it, take a course and dare. It's really fun!

Finally, what is your most memorable precipitation?
- It must be the last year when I dropped an arrow, two meters in diameter. It was not a good-looking precipitate a purely technical level, but guaranteed the rudest I have taken ann."

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@SawTroll - you gonna 'spill the beans with us'? I looked up the forum, but don't speak Swedish!

Thanks.

Philbert

SawTroll

Information collector
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@SawTroll - you gonna 'spill the beans with us'? I looked up the forum, but don't speak Swedish!

Thanks.

Philbert

So far, the Swedes and Norwegians at that site doesn't know much more than those that are interested on the US forums.

At this point it only is about a Swedish (Husky) made replacement for the H30/95VPX, that Oregon is replacing with the 95TXL.

After I have seen close up pictures of both new chains (95TXL and Husky SP33) from a couple of different angles, I no longer believe it is about pure license production with only cosmetic differences (I originally suspected it was).

The most obvious is that the rakers are clearly different, with the Husky ones being smaller/less ramped than on both VP/VPX and TXL. The separate ramps on the drivers also looks a bit different, and clouds the picture regarding which one has the most kickback reduction - it looks like the brands are balancing around the "edge" between "yellow" and "green" classification?

Last edited:

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
* In case you follow that link, it does not discuss the new chains. GOOGLE translated below*

I was just trying to link info in regards to her and her background, not so much the content.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I figured that other folks would try to read it, so I would save them some time.

Philbert

SawTroll

Information collector
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Would make sense to offer their first chains "in the middle".

It hardly is a coincidence that they started with a replacement for the H30 (95VPX), for a couple of reasons:

1) Oregon was going to discontinue the 95VPX

2) The H30 likely have been their most sold chain in Scandinavia, possibly elsewhere as well, so the replacement is important to them.

The only news I have is that a combo roller/raker guide now is out for the SP33 - and it is different from the H30 one.