I to used one of these over a year ago no issues

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wonder why nobody else besides LilRedBarn is selling these AM pistons? And they're charging Meteor prices plus shipping. Must have an exclusive corner on this particular manufacturer, eh? Or maybe they're selling knock-offs of the 350 piston? Would be interesting to compare em.

I have three closed port 55's with completely salvageable cylinders and would like to get em going again as closed port saws. But at forty bux plus for a re-pop 45mm windowed piston I can almost get a Hyway or Meteor 46mm hybrid top end kit (which are very nice if you haven't used one).

And @Stihlbro..., is there any chance you could embed those pics in a post? I'm only seeing the Photobucket extortion images. May just take a stab at using a 350 piston if you say it'll fly. Quite a few more reasonable options out there for those..., including OEM.

Whitty21

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ended up getting the LilRedBarn piston. Quality seems fantastic, comes pre-oiled and everything. I havent had the saw come back to me yet

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I may end up going that route, but they seem pricey for a no-name knock-off. And LilRedBarn has been known to have quality and support issues. That said, I'm not doubting your impression of the quality of the one you received, so don't get me wrong there.

My curiosity stems from the fact that they're the only ones out there claiming to have a 503-1687-01 replacement when the bigger players like Bailey's, HLS, and others seem to typically have the inside track on influencing what the major aftermarket production facilities are bringing to the marketplace.

Whitty21

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is probably just a lack of demand. Not sure how manyclosed port saws were made. I had a hard time finding a used cylinder for the one I had

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I have three and wasn't even trying to find one! LOL

I would guess somewhere around 25~30% of the 55 Ranchers out there have/had closed port top ends based on the three I have (out of the ten or so I've rebuilt). Considering how many 55 Ranchers were actually produced, that's a lot of closed port 55 Ranchers.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
10:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have one of these cylinders sitting here as well, and am not going to LRB to get one either. Once bitten, twice shy.

@Gentleman Bruce, what do you think of the Husqvarna 55 closed port piston and its lack of presence in the marketplace?

Gentleman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have one of these cylinders sitting here as well, and am not going to LRB to get one either. Once bitten, twice shy.

@Gentleman Bruce, what do you think of the Husqvarna 55 closed port piston and its lack of presence in the marketplace?
I know who LRB buy those from. We've bought from that company before but not anymore. They are super annoying. Would call everyday asking when we would place another order. LRB sends them a lot of pistons to copy. I'll ask my friend at LRB to send me some now. If anyone needs some let me know.

Stihlbro

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Wonder why nobody else besides LilRedBarn is selling these AM pistons? And they're charging Meteor prices plus shipping. Must have an exclusive corner on this particular manufacturer, eh? Or maybe they're selling knock-offs of the 350 piston? Would be interesting to compare em.

I have three closed port 55's with completely salvageable cylinders and would like to get em going again as closed port saws. But at forty bux plus for a re-pop 45mm windowed piston I can almost get a Hyway or Meteor 46mm hybrid top end kit (which are very nice if you haven't used one).

And @Stihlbro..., is there any chance you could embed those pics in a post? I'm only seeing the Photobucket extortion images. May just take a stab at using a 350 piston if you say it'll fly. Quite a few more reasonable options out there for those..., including OEM.

I tried late last night, Photobucket was not very cooperative. I will try again later this evening.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If anyone needs some let me know.

I'm interested. I'm also still interested in the 350 approach if I could check out some pics of what needs done to one.

As mentioned, I have three closed port 55's needing pistons.

Stihlbro

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
image.png image.png

Picture on left is stock, the other is how the lower part of cylinder is ground out to use 350/353 piston.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I see. Thank you sir.

I thought the 350 piston was modified to accommodate the closed port cylinder. Not the other way around. Looks like the result is just a 45mm open port top end unless I'm missing something obvious. I seem to recall this being discussed in a thread somewhere else along the line with the verdict being that it more closely resembled the quasi closed port design being offered by Meteor and Hyway than open port since there is still a 'bridge'?

Stihlbro

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That might be an option too. I've just spent the last 40 minutes looking for a picture of the same piston with Windows/slots cut in it with no luck.

:treadmill:

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
...just a 45mm open port top end unless I'm missing something obvious. I seem to recall this being discussed in a thread somewhere else along the line with the verdict being that it more closely resembled the quasi closed port design being offered by Meteor and Hyway than open port since there is still a 'bridge'?

Yup this was discussed and you were actually the one who came to that verdict in spite of others disenting opinions.
The opinions contrary to yours were that it's simply closed port either way, in this case one is side fed and then when hogged out in conjuction with a non windowed piston becomes bottom fed.

The 'bridges' are what make it closed port, not how it's fed.

Now the 55 Hyway/Meteor cylinder, while closed port by definition, is sort of half assed in that it's just a bridge slapped over a typical open port design with the back wall parallel to the cylinder wall. So the bridge is just an added obstruction as much as anything.

The originally Partner designed cp 55 cylinder has the much more efficient teacup handle shaped transfers so the charge has a smooth, linear transition around the bridge, maintaining velocity and has way better laminar flow/direction exiting the uppers.

Last edited:

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yup this was discussed and you were actually the one who came to that verdict in spite of others disenting opinions.
The opinions contrary to yours were that it's simply closed port either way, in this case one is side fed and then when hogged out in conjuction with a non windowed piston becomes bottom fed.

The 'bridges' are what make it closed port, not how it's fed.

Now the 55 Hyway/Meteor cylinder, while closed port by definition, is sort of half assed in that it's just a bridge slapped over a typical open port design with the back wall parallel to the cylinder wall. So the bridge is just an added obstruction as much as anything.

The originally Partner designed cp 55 cylinder has the much more efficient teacup handle shaped transfers so the charge has a smooth, linear transition around the bridge, maintaining velocity and has way better laminar flow/direction exiting the uppers.

Well explained Bill!

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Indeed. It's all coming back to me now. LOL

Thanks, Bill.