Husqvarna 285CD spark help

brox

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All things point to that it should work. Maybe you got a dud coil.

Do you have an ohm meter? Check the resistance between the cylinder and the frame of the coil. It should be almost 0.

I checked resistance between cylinder and coil and got from 0 to .3 ohm depending where I checked.

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I checked resistance between cylinder and coil and got from 0 to .3 ohm depending where I checked.

You have a shorted coil or shorted wiring or a bad/shorted kill switch. Sounds like you already checked and repaired the wiring. A good coil should read near infinity on an ohm meter. I would isolate all three components and check to ground(cylinder case).

Last edited:

brox

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks everyone for the replies and help. Just got done taking everything off and reassembling and now have spark! I didn't see anything obvious and don't think I did anything different than the last time couple tries. Kill switch isn't hooked up because I had to snip the connector off to install heat shrink.. I thought I had the end of the wire safe and not grounding but maybe it was. I'll keep messing with it but encouraging so far to have seen spark. I appreciate all the help.

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Congrats man! That's good news. Maybe a fluke thing or a bad kill switch. Either way, much better that defective coils and flywheels. Is it running yet or do you need to rebuild the carb?

brox

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks! I put a little gas in carb and it fired up but thats as far as I got. Any idea for what the compression should be? Cylinder and piston look good.

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks! I put a little gas in carb and it fired up but thats as far as I got. Any idea for what the compression should be? Cylinder and piston look good.

I've never tested mine personality. But iirc 150-160 psi. Perhaps Redlight, Marshy or other 285cd owners can give you more accurate numbers.

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
2:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can you'll me how you got your flywheel off. I got a 285cd also and need to remove the flywheel. I have tried everything I know to get it off.

brox

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I took out a couple screws (5 mm I think) and used a steering wheel style puller with longer screws threaded into the flywheel. I have had it off multiple times now with this method and it's worked well. The first time was by far the worst and sounded like a .22 when it let loose. I used a 1/4 impact on the puller because it was so tight. It was definitely one of those I might be buying a new one but it's coming off moments.

Seth8837

OPE Member
Local time
9:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There was a tread on AS for fixing ignition. Problem is with condensator in igniton. I have repair four of them that way and they all work with no problem. It is 2 dollar cost.
I have the same problem with my 285CD Where can I find your solution with the capacitor. Seth1937 please help me

Shane¹

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Post up some pictures of what you have and we will see what we can do

Seth8837

OPE Member
Local time
9:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can you'll me how you got your flywheel off. I got a 285cd also and need to remove the flywheel. I have tried everything I know to get it off.
I had the same difficulty. I made a plate with 4 holes matching the 4 screws in the flywheel. In the centre I drilled and tapped a hole and screwed a 3/8 fine threaded bolt in. Fixing the 4 screws to the flywheel and placing a soft piece of copper or brass under the central screw and tightening the bolt onto the copper and crankshaft. When fully tight a sharp tap on the head of the bolt and bobs your uncle, a loud crack and the flywheel is freed. Also a vary easy way to check for a spark is to remove the woodruff key from the crankshaft. A little drop of oil to the taper and the flywheel can be spun by hand easily. And the spark can be seen with the plug removed.