Husky 55

Kenskip1

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK here is the deal.One day started the saw and just let it idle for a few minutes. It simply stopped running.Mix was good, nice blue spark.Now prior to this it had 165 lbs of compression. I purchased this saw from a pawn shop. It had a small bit of scoring on the piston on the exhaust side. Let me finish. I removed the cylinder and it had a small scratch that coincided with the piston. I then discovered this was a closed port cylinder. I cleaned up the PC with new grommet,and reassembled.Started great and was running like a raped ape. Anyway it sat on the shelf for about 3 months and I started it, then it simply stopped running. So a compression check was done. just over 110 psi. WYF! anyway removed the cylinder and examined the ring. It appeared to have lost it's plating and wedged between the piston and the cylinder. I took it and the piston and cylinder to my dealer.To cut to the chase the cylinder is fine but the piston is toast.A new piston for this particular model was not available. This piston has the window in it.So now I find a place that sells the piston cylinder rings, clips all for under $150 new.It is not like I need another saw but is it worth putting this into a $60 saw? BTW if anyone is curious I run 40/1 Amsoil. And yes it was properly mixed. All my other saws love this brew, Thanks Ken

http://www.hlsproparts.com/Husqvarna-55-51-cylinder-and-piston-assembly-p/h30055-w.htm

Last edited:

raumati01

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is that an aftermarket piston and cylinder? I saw on another site that oem prices have dropped quite a bit.
I'd fix it up, they are great saws imho.

Nitehawk55

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I just put a closed port 46mm Hyway kit on a 51 and it runs great .