How to determine if gasoline is e-free

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought some ethanol free 87 octane (all they had) gasoline and also some E10 a week ago and can't recall which can I put each in. How can I tell which is which?

Stihlbro

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most manufactures make a ethanol tester that can be bought. I have a Stihl and a kohler version.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can also get a graduated cylinder. Put 5ml water in it. Put 20ml gasoline in it. Add a drop of food coloring (color of your choice) and shake it up real well. Let is settle a few minutes. If it reads more than 5ml water. It has ethanol in it.

Gunn

Yay sawz
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's easy to test. Get a clear container and put a little water in it. Mark the water level with a sharpee. Pour in gas and shake the hell out of it. Let it settle and see if the water line has moved up.

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What Gunn said is easy and foolproof. Other testers with calibrations can tell you percentages of ethanol and so forth but if you just want to know whether or not it's ethanol fuel, his method is simple with available resources and accurate. The smaller diameter of the container the better as it will waste less fuel to do the test. ie, you could do it with a gallon milk jug but a small diameter plastic or glass bottle takes less gas...

WKEND LUMBERJAK

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's easy to test. Get a clear container and put a little water in it. Mark the water level with a sharpee. Pour in gas and shake the hell out of it. Let it settle and see if the water line has moved up.

This is how I do it.

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Cool, I can do that, lol.

riverrat2

Semper Fidelis
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just go to the liquor store and get a cigar that comes in a glass tube,,,,,, put a line on it with a sharpie about an inch from the bottom, fill it with water to the line, add your gas leaving a bit of freeboard for mixing room,,, Shake it don't break it, let it settle... if it's E free the water level will be the same!!!

PS don't be smoking the cigar until you are through and clear of the test area!!!!