High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

How much lean/imbalance can a deuce overcome?

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
4:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Still watching, but this is good stuff! Thanks!

One difference I see in calcing the force is my tree isn’t leaning so much as it’s imbalanced. My gut says that will require less force. I’ll take a video next time I’m up there. It’s hard to get a clear shot/view with pics.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
12:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm just a YouTube watcher on the bigger stuff. August Hunicke has done some good vids.
Here’s a couple but you can have a look at the channel list. August does explain every job.
I will say the snatch method you talk about is a bit risky if the hinge is to thick etc. I think the wedging to get the hinge correct and a pulley to double your pulling capabilities along with some weight in your truck will be fine.
Anyhow have a watch and a look at August's vids. Btw the last vid I linked to he explained what he said wrong with using a pulley ie a redirect

Last edited:

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Watching videos n cogitatin’. @chiselbit starting to like the winch more...for the initial standup or overcoming of the lean. Especially combined with wedgies. Make sure you got it and it’s coming, in case you don’t.

Also! - been wanting to try zip lining tree limbs vs. people in the dunes for a long time...so thinking cable up, zipline some junk down, and pull ‘er over.
I was concerned about the hinge breaking, (maybe a step cut) but since this is just an imbalance issue, not so much a hard lean, I’m not too worried about the hinge. I will probably go a little larger than normal on the face cut notch to move the tipping point favorably, but not crazy.

random story time with Wyby: pulleys are cool. One time coming down a mountain trail in @Czed ‘s dream truck, my dodgy, there was a large tree down across the trail. No saw. I ran the cable off the boom, to a redirect tree to the side rear and to another on the side in the front. Handy....never have regretted having the winch in the back vs. the front. Another time I dropped the boom, ran the cable under the truck to the front, and winched myself up a hill to recover a rolled peeJ.

Last edited:

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Watching videos n cogitatin’. @chiselbit starting to like the winch more...for the initial standup or overcoming of the lean. Especially combined with wedgies. Make sure you got it and it’s coming, in case you don’t.

Also! - been wanting to try zip lining tree limbs vs. people in the dunes for a long time...so thinking cable up, zipline some junk down, and pull ‘er over.
I was concerned about the hinge breaking, (maybe a step cut) but since this is just an imbalance issue, not so much a hard lean, I’m not too worried about the hinge. I will probably go a little larger than normal on the face cut notch to move the tipping point favorably, but not crazy.

random story time with Wyby: pulleys are cool. One time coming down a mountain trail in @Czed ‘s dream truck, my dodgy, there was a large tree down across the trail. No saw. I ran the cable off the boom, to a redirect tree to the side rear and to another on the side in the front. Handy....never have regretted having the winch in the back vs. the front. Another time I dropped the boom, ran the cable under the truck to the front, and winched myself up a hill to recover a rolled peeJ.

One thing you can do to help reduce the risk of the hinge breaking and the butt sliding out from under the tree toward the direction of pull is to make your back cut a few inches BELOW the apex of your face cut.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got as much of the limbs that overhang the house as I could reach with the 50’ lift Sat. We are still a little worried about the one overhanging (blue lines) but I can't reach it to rig it. May yet pull the whole tree over, waiting to hear. It shades the house from the western sun, so they may have to buy an A/C if we take it down. 36BF185F-1CE8-4591-BC61-068CE0B59701.jpeg

Last edited:

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got as much of the limbs that overhang the house as I could reach with the 50’ lift Sat. We are still a little worried about the one overhanging (blue lines) but I can reach it to rig it. May yet pull the whole tree over, waiting to hear. It shades the house from the western sun, so they may have to buy an A/C if we take it down. View attachment 304123
What kind of tree is it David? Looks like a cottonwood but I’m looking at it on a small iPhone screen that’s hit the wall a few times,, kinda hard to tell

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What kind of tree is it David? Looks like a cottonwood but I’m looking at it on a small iPhone screen that’s hit the wall a few times,, kinda hard to tell
It is indeed sir

hope to bring some home to feed to the 3120 with the play chain :-D

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My thing when using my vehicle to pull trees over, that are over property or could fall back on it, is to have at least two anchor lines (in addition to the pull line) tied to other trees or hopefully heavy vehicles, high up into the tree. If there was a huge branch or crotch that might split off when pulling that tree over, I would tie it into a strong stem. Being able to move a heavy vehicle forward (14.4k van or truck) vs. choke up on a line or cable is a bit easier, on the anchor lines. Even if you just have to rent a straight truck from U-Haul and park it somewhere, you will not regret having that dead weight and two anchor lines backing you up in case your pull line breaks. Which I have had happen to me. I had a pine tree break weird once, my 1/2" arborist rope literally squeezed the tree in 1/2 and snapped it. Never saw that one coming :-D

I used a 5K boat winch, set in the back of my F-100 to pull over a huge oak (40" at the cut) when my new Husky 372 decided to nuke it's oiler and all I was left with was a Poulan 18" saw and my 6 foot two man saw. I ended up cutting the tree with the two an saw to a 2" or so hinge and used the winch to drop the oak between two houses.

With a 3/8" steel cable I do not see any problems with a 2.5T 6x6 pulling a properly cut tree over. Though I would have two anchor points like a V so it can not move left or right with the pull line down the middle splitting the V. If the cable is up high enough, it should not flip up butt end towards the house if the hinge breaks.

I have a customer video of me with my 4x4 E-250 pulling over a huge oak using 1/4" steel cable using a pulley block. About 100 MB if you sent me an email address.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Might be going back to finish this one.

The graphic on this video mostly answered a question I’ve had…how much lean can you wedge vs. pull?

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
12:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With a 3/8" steel cable I do properly cut tree over. Though I would have two anchor points like a V so it can not move left or right with the pull line down the middle splitting the V.
If the cableI have a customer video of me with my 4x4 E-250 pulling over a huge oak using 1/4" steel cable using a pulley block. About 100 MB if you sent me an email address.

if you get a Dropbox account, up can share it for a few days with a link here

I’d like to see the vid, but my email won’t take a file that big… so.;);)

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just wanted to say the deuce sounded incredible in the video you posted. Good thread btw.

Thumper88

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We have pulled several using 1/2" steel cable and a 4x4 tractor, and my dad has pulled hundreds if not thousands using heavy equipment doing road right of way work with the county highwaymen department. One thing to watch out for, no matter who is doing the pulling you or someone else, dont rip it off the stump. Its normally better to slowly stand the tree up, and head it into the lay while back cutting so that the norch and hinge wood can guide it. If you just back cut then jerk it hard you can rip the hinge off and otll go wherever it wants no matter what is tied to it, because you can't out run the gravity to pull it a different way once its committed.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Homeowner sent me a vid. Here are some screen shots…looks unhealthy enough I think I might recommend to remove it…plus that is fastest, easiest and safest.
88EF6B9F-EF6C-45A2-A88F-E4B2FEAF0121.jpeg 1D5796A0-B32C-4D6E-8EDC-173FFCF41F4F.jpeg 18B5D7E5-6D5D-425B-8C8B-079A42C49382.jpeg

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I read somewhere that the lifespan is about 30 years…pretty sure he told me they’ve lived there that long or longer and the trees were there when they moved in. Whatcha fink @Woodpecker ?