High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

How much lean/imbalance can a deuce overcome?

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
12:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tree is heavy offset over the house, he’s afraid it will fall E like the last two on the E side did. Wind comes from the W. Trying to get the weight off the overhanging east side will be tedious and hard to reach with my man lift.

Looking south, pull W to right 5AE85356-538F-4EA1-8CA0-A404E3AC4328.jpeg

looking north, pull W to left
6DAEE489-DE0B-43CB-B6B8-53A37578E07B.jpeg

looking From W to E, pull to W.
FA8A777C-8B7B-404D-A7E4-97B13E0AD18A.jpeg

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's hard to gauge from your pictures how big those upper limbs are, but it looks like most of the weight of that tree is down low, especially with some mortality in the upper
limbs, which means the water content and therefore the weight, will be much lower. I think I would reach what you can with the lift and then set it up to pull it over.

Like ktmtigger mentioned, the longer the pull, the better. Also, if you have a place to set a block and get at least one re-direct on the pull, that would help. You could
gain some leverage that way and put less stress on the truck.

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here’s what I don’t like about pulling with vehicles, you spin a tire at a critical time and bad things can happen. That and it’s easy to pull too much at the wrong time and snap your rope or cable. I much prefer a winch. Way more control, then you can cut a little, winch a little, pound your wedges in to capture progress, cut some more, winch some more and just very slowly and in a controlled fashion stand that tree up and then tip it over. I bought a 15.5 thousand pound smittybuilt winch from amazon for around $500. And I have pulled some big, hard leaning trees with it. Takes the unpredictable out of the process.

MarkEagleUSA

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a 15.5 thousand pound smittybuilt winch from amazon for around $500. And I have pulled some big, hard leaning trees with it. Takes the unpredictable out of the process.
What is it mounted on?

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Currently 12k winch. Haven’t broken it yet. Have a 15k to put in. Deuce is 6x6 and 13k. Doesn’t really spin tires...I figured I might add some ballast. Been meaning to measure the drawbar pull. It’ll pull a Ford Raptor buried to the doors in mud out at an idle...

I like the slow n steady winch idea, but I would also worry about the hinge breaking, kicking back, spinning or rolling...I think if I’m gonna pull, I want to pull hard and fast (wish it was an auto) and make it come with me. If the tree was trimmed to just a stick, I think I would do the winch method.

I am familiar with the pulley principle. I have a few.

8FE0797C-5C97-4D79-9423-0F8C93CB4424.jpeg

6391B3F6-B0F9-4855-B299-75DDF46D85AA.jpeg 3898E0EA-3D01-4C54-BB04-885DAEDE61D1.jpeg

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
2:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not an expert, but my guess would be that success will depend on how it's rigged. Placement of blocks, where the bull rope is attached, the angle of the rope to the drawbar, and how much weight is in the bed of the truck will make or break the equation. Again, just a guess. I think you've got enough tires to put a lot of power to the ground, but there are lots of factors at play. No harm in rigging everything up and checking if you can see the tree start to move when you lean into it before you start cutting.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cable would go from as high as I could get on the tree and still have enough diameter to not break...maybe 30’ - 40’ up? Then 127’ over to the base of a big pine, down low....then up to the tow boom on the back of the truck. This would plant the back tires. Very effective...the boom
Used to be in the back of my dodge. It will pull whatever or break the driveline trying...I know.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Current plan is to go up with the lift and get as much weight off as I can. Probably with a pulley on a spar on the west side to swing stuff over and lower down.

Pulleys...one time the UK travel channel came to the salton sea to do a vid on the “lost ship of the desert”. Somehow a lifted 4 door Jeep in the group got stuck to the doors in mud at the edge of the sea. Very common as its receding. Very nasty stuff. Another guy had tried to pull him out with an F250 and 8k winch. Broke the winch and or cable. I used the 12k with one pulley, maybe two. Drug my 8k lb dodge backwards. Had to chain myself to the F250 and hold the brakes in both. Jeep came back 10’ before it started to rise. Displaced a lot of mud...pulleys are awesome.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’d get 50-60’ of tow strap in there first and then your winch cable and block setup. Once it pulls snug, winch in another 10-20’ depending on how stretchy the straps are and see if the tree will lean away from the house. If it does, back off some of the tension, make your hinge and back cut using wedges. And then winch it over. The stretch of the straps is always pulling so nothing goes slack until it no longer matters.

But I’m just a hack that’s only pulled a few against the lean like that.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’d get 50-60’ of tow strap in there first and then your winch cable and block setup. Once it pulls snug, winch in another 10-20’ depending on how stretchy the straps are and see if the tree will lean away from the house. If it does, back off some of the tension, make your hinge and back cut using wedges. And then winch it over. The stretch of the straps is always pulling so nothing goes slack until it no longer matters.

But I’m just a hack that’s only pulled a few against the lean like that.

I do have a mongo 1.25” x 100’ recovery rope.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do have a mongo 1.25” x 100’ recovery rope.
That would work.
But like I said, I’m no tree guy. I just know that if I can make it lean away, it’ll fall away. Reading the tension can be tricky though. Too little and maybe the hinge breaks and it tips backwards. Too much and it barber chairs

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wish I could nerd up the calculations as to how much force it would take to tip that thing.