Honda HRN 216 Knocking Noise

PearlWhiteGT

OPE Member
Local time
6:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yesterday when I was going to use my Honda HRN 216 lawn mower I noticed it making a knocking sound when I turned it on. It isn't constant, usually when I first start it and when shutting it down will make the noise. Will also make the sound at certain times of moving the mower around. I do not believe it is engine knocking, has plenty of oil. My buddy told me he had a similar issue with his Toro 30" push mower and it was the spring tension on the belt. Replaced the spring and issue resolved. I'm planning on digging more into it this weekend and see if I can figure out what is going on. Any of you fellas have an idea what it possibly can be?

Mammyrat

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Flywheel key partially/fully sheared throwing off the timing?

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have no experience with the Honda mowers, but with a Snapper, I have had a worn out drive belt be noisy.
Seemed to cause the tensioner pulley arm to "bounce" and create a kind of thumpy clatter.

Does your Honda have the blade/brake clutch setup? I've heard mention of that getting noisy if it's going bad.

Another thought, You mentiond the noise sometimes is with movment, have you checked the wheels for bad bearing or anything that would allow one to twist around or bump and rub the deck

PearlWhiteGT

OPE Member
Local time
6:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like the blades were hitting here at times. Dirt build up under the flap. I cleaned it out and will see if that was the issue.

IMG_4194.jpeg

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So it probably hit when the mower bounced or when you pushed down on the handle to turn the mower?