Gun range 2022,2023,2024

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
2:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I load my .40's to approximate the .38-40 or .44 Special. 175 grain lead slug over 3.5 grains Clays for ~800 fps. Still cycles the G22 every time. I'm not getting rid of my brass or reloading stuff, just not terribly interested in .40's right now and want to finance a new toy. If I like the SD9 I may get an SD40 to go with it.
Do you shoot anything in .44spec.
I have several and they’re some of my favorite wheelguns.

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
3:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anybody ever try an S&W SD9? Been looking at them at work and I really like the super simple design, ergonomics, and trigger pull. Takes M&P sights. The gray frame/black slide looks really kewl and is the same price as the regular one.

17595018_02.jpg
I was very impressed with the one I shot a couple weeks ago
It feels lighter than my m&ps and the trigger was a bit heavy but very easy to control
I hit every plate on the rack seems very accurate but I only shot a couple of mags IMG_20230211_161829563_HDR.jpg

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had a good experience with S&W this week.
I bought a used 625 JM revolver in 45acp last week.
That particular model has a gold bead front sight. The gold bead was missing when I got the gun.
After trying to find a replacement online, I contacted S&W, in an attempt to buy the sight assembly.
They sent me the entire assembly and included the roll pin, spring and plunger, all at no charge.
I received the parts in three days.
Someone there understands customer service!
I called for a missing spring in a rear sight on a 4506
The customer service woman sent me a box full every spring for every semi auto in that series for free
I was very impressed.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you shoot anything in .44spec.
I have several and they’re some of my favorite wheelguns.

No .44's here, Mebbe someday.

Was shooting my new to me Glock 42 today. Functioned 100% while shooting but after cleaning it I found the trigger was only resetting about 50% of the time. Went ahead and ordered a couple of new trigger bar springs for it, that's what my 19 needed when it did that. Better to discover that when cleaning rather than when it counts!

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was very impressed with the one I shot a couple weeks ago
It feels lighter than my m&ps and the trigger was a bit heavy but very easy to control
I hit every plate on the rack seems very accurate but I only shot a couple of mags View attachment 367082

We've sold a ton of them at my side job shop and no complaints. I have two Glock 19's, a 26, Browning Hi-Power, and a Taurus G3. What can I say, I like variety!

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Finally tried a p17 IMG_20230304_173328867_HDR.jpg
It's very close in size to my tx .22
It shot great very nice crisp trigger
but the mags are much harder to load there's no tabs to assist and no witness holes
Just a small complaint but i much prefer the Taurus.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, guess I'm committed to buying an SD9 now. Just won five NIB factory mags on GB for a c-note. :oops:

Last edited:

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Picked up the SD9 today and I'm impressed. The trigger is actually decent. Kind of heavy (which is hardly unique) but really smooth and repeatable. Definitely not the gritty 40 pound trigger that the Sigma had, in fact it feels better than the stock trigger on my gen. 4 Glocks when they were new. All my lead bullet loads plunk in the chamber just fine. Only thing I don't like so far is the notch on the rear sight is too big for my taste. The SD uses the same sights as the M&P so there should be a lot of options. Hope to make noise with it on Friday!

IMG_20230308_191320762.jpg

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Picked up the SD9 today and I'm impressed. The trigger is actually decent. Kind of heavy (which is hardly unique) but really smooth and repeatable. Definitely not the gritty 40 pound trigger that the Sigma had, in fact it feels better than the stock trigger on my gen. 4 Glocks when they were new. All my lead bullet loads plunk in the chamber just fine. Only thing I don't like so far is the notch on the rear sight is too big for my taste. The SD uses the same sights as the M&P so there should be a lot of options. Hope to make noise with it on Friday!

View attachment 368012
I'd buy one if I ever need another 9mm
I really like the ergonomics
It actually felt lighter than my m&p
I didn't have both to compare at the time.

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 368012
Nice looking little gun.
I look forward to your thoughts after a little range time.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. I took it for a quick test drive behind the house after work today with my pet cast bullet load. Every round functioned perfectly and fouling seemed to be minimal. The bad news is, most shots were low left. Which always means that me and the trigger are not getting along. The Apex spring kit is only 20.00 so I went ahead and ordered one. The good news is, the shots that I didn't pull seemed to be dead on. So it will be a work in progress!

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also, don't know why I didn't think about this before. On any pistol, I prefer the front sight dot to sit right on the bottom of the notch of the rear. The notch on this pistol is too deep for that. I have some scraps of black stick-on grip material left from my Glocks, it's basically an adhesive rubbery plastic material. I trimmed a little strip of it to sit in the bottom of the notch. Two strips stacked on top of each other and now the notch is the perfect depth for my taste. Most of my handguns have a plain rear sight, no others have the three dot setup. I may black out the rear dots to match the others too. Might be able to shoot it some more tomorrow.

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also, don't know why I didn't think about this before. On any pistol, I prefer the front sight dot to sit right on the bottom of the notch of the rear. The notch on this pistol is too deep for that. I have some scraps of black stick-on grip material left from my Glocks, it's basically an adhesive rubbery plastic material. I trimmed a little strip of it to sit in the bottom of the notch. Two strips stacked on top of each other and now the notch is the perfect depth for my taste. Most of my handguns have a plain rear sight, no others have the three dot setup. I may black out the rear dots to match the others too. Might be able to shoot it some more tomorrow.
Sight preference on handguns is interesting. I have friends, my age and older, that only shoot patridge sights. I shoot with younger folks who change the sights on their handguns to three dot fiber optic or night sights. Seems as though no one prefers red ramp fronts. I own guns with all three types but prefer express sights on my handguns. A gold bead front and V notch rear is what I‘m most comfortable with and am able to get on target the quickest with.
Optical sights on handguns have left me totally underwhelmed. I occasionally like shooting my wife’s laser sighted G22, when she lets me.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can only see fiber optic sights or 3 white dot sights. I can do orange ramp but if it's just black iron it's good luck!

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I paint the front sights on my revolvers with the brightest white nail polish I can find. If necessary I color in the little half moon indention rear sight with a black marker. I'm one of the very few people who really like the ball in bucket design that Glock uses. I find it helps me center the front sight like an aperture does. Other than that I prefer a plain rear. Dots or anything else just encourage me to look at that instead of the front sight.

Not impressed with lasers or optical sights on handguns. If others like them that is fine, they just aren't for me. I also don't use scopes on short range rifles and rimfires. I like the compact and more rugged construction of sights and the challenge of using them, even though the latter induces massive frustration!

full chizel

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like my rear sights blacked out.

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My favorite sight picture is the canik
Series u notch blacked out rear with
A dot or fibre optic up front.
I believe it's a copy of the heinie straight 8 setup
But I shoot such a variety of pistols I can shoot any of them.

larasea

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
100 yard range from my back deck to the target on my 10 acres. Built this about 4 years ago. Dropped the trees, cut to length, and stacked with my tractor. Good use for Black Pine trees. Guns and Chainsaws.

Attachments

• tempImagevitbHE.png
    tempImagevitbHE.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, Apex kit showed up and I put it in the SD9. This one came with RP springs for trigger, firing pin, and firing pin plunger. The sear spring was missing so I sent the company a message about it. Once installed, the difference was pretty dramatic even with the OEM sear spring. I would guess it went from over 8 pounds to about 5, and the take up is a lot smoother.

I fired some of my favorite loads (3.8 grains HP-38/130 grain LFP) in the backyard and now the pistol is way easier to shoot with accuracy. In fact I can now stage the trigger for a really nice break. Accuracy seems to be pretty close to my Glock 19, I'm sure it will get better the more I shoot it. As an added bonus the bore is really shiny and it actually has a throat, so lead slugs do great. Planning to get an SD40 also at some point.