gcv190 on mower, flame out exhaust on restart

r7000

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
hrx mower bought new around 2005, has GCV190 engine.
it gets use once per week from mid-May to mid-october, I am in CT. Beginning of season from May to June twice a week, so whatever the engine hours adds up to based on that.

Last week everything runnning fine, shut off, go to restart when hot always one pull, takes 3-4 pulls and engine starts with throttle on low and within a second of running and idling up I saw flame out the exhaust then engine shut off would not restart.

i have two carbs, bought a spare years ago for like $15, fairly certain this is not a carburetor problem. Using a blast of starting fluid would not even get the engine to kick.

fast forward: had been burning off some two-stroke mix in engine at around 100:1 ratio for last 2-3 lawn cuts and motor ran fine no smoke. pulled engine apart, split case, removed piston and valves figured exhaust valve was problem (also have never done a valve lash /rocker arm adjustment). Found decent buildup around exhaust seat in combustion chamber (see other post) figured that was problem that exh valve failed to seat- cleaned everything and lapped exhaust valve with permatex valve lapping compound. Everything now looks 100%, engine back on mower deck go to restart and got a sickly put put running zero power idle rpm only, give it throttle engine dies, have to choke on and off with throttle otherwise dies. This sickly put put running at rpm just over pull cord rpm was the case just after exhaust flame after engine had cooled down and with turning carb mixture screw an extra 3 turns out.

Looking for suggestions,
I thought maybe bad plastic cam, like the exhaust compression relief bumper was staying active. But cannot see how that could be, plus the original cam looks fine and the compression relief mechanism on it seems/feels fine. I have also tried both carbs, have re-dissassembled both carbs and blown out they both look fine. Fairly certain I did not mess up cam timing re-assembing, piston was at TDC with arrow on crank pointing directly up. I have pulled the engine off again and put in a new plastic overhead cam since they are cheap, and with old cam with exhaust rocker removed I spun flywheel with my big drill and got up to 130-140 psi compression in addition to inspecting how one could possible screw up cam timing and cannot see how. Only other thought is spark plug (bpr6es) and ignition coil but cannot see how that would've cause exhaust flame which was first indication to the problem. Also multimetered coil: 1.5 ohm primary and 9.5 kohm secondary. And engine ran fine like it has for last 10 years until the hot restart last time, has not run since.
please throw me some suggestions, i do not feel like re-assembling mower (HRX217) to get engine barely run barely run at ~800 rpm

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Trying to follow all of the detail, not sure.

From the first description of the engine dying, I would say check the flywheel key. Not sure if you had the flywheel off yet to check.

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds like it may have jumped time on the cam belt. I would double check the cam timing. If jumped time replace the belt. Check the valve lash. Like fish said double check the flywheel key. Check that ignition can jump a quarter inch gap. If it does you have plenty of spark energy. Give the carb a shot of starting fluid and try to start it. Does it run good for a few seconds?

r7000

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I figured if I asked here I'd figure it out. Whole problem seemd to be spark plug.

After first indication of problem with flame out the exhaust on a hot restart, engine would not restart until completely cooled off. Then when cold it did not start easy, took a few pulls then when it did start only once or twice did it run up to a normal ~1500 rpm idle but had zero power and would die if throttle up. The other 3 or 4 cold restarts it would barely stay running at like 500 rpm's sounded like really weak combustion and then die after 5 seconds.
The few times I checked for spark with spark plug removed, there was so had no reason to suspect spark plug.

Bad news was I did a lot of work for nothing. Good news after having pulled and dissassembled the engine I lapped the valves and it feels like it has better compression now. After a new bpr5es motor runs excellent now, guess I figured out how long an ngk plug lasts. Also, new plug engine runs fine, old plug installed cannot start engine.