G372, which one?

Ofarrell

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is the G372 pro worth the extra money over the orange or blue G372? Aside from fake carbon fiber and a camera ring, what else is there? Would a orange or ble g372 with a pop-up piston run as good or better than a pro model?

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How much more is it?

Matt Ellerbee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

calcutta250

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve had the 372Pro for a while now. It’s done well for the price. I’d still pick a better name brand if I wanted to use it reliably for years to come.

Ofarrell

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve had the 372Pro for a while now. It’s done well for the price. I’d still pick a better name brand if I wanted to use it reliably for years to come.
I'm just using it to bridge the gap between my 550mk2/501p and Stihl 066 and MS660. I don't mind tinkering with it, I'll alway take a big saw with me in case it fails.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Idk if the pro version is worth the extra money? I've never taken one apart.
I do know that quality is subjective at best with aftermarket chainsaw stuff but if you tinker with your own saws and are fairly comfortable with wrenching id would just get the cheapest model and go any direction you want.
I would like to believe everything that I read on the internet but lol! So a couple of years ago I bought a G372XP and used it as is for a little bit than built it as I wanted. So far it has been a pretty good deal and mostly reliable for me ,but I usually catch things before they become catastrophic. I've used it in small engine classes and let students work on it and learn how to disassemble parts for repairs. Honestly its been pretty good for what it is.
I'm not totally sure that you're going to get honest to goodness quality by spending more money, but if you learn something? It any money worth spent.

Matt Ellerbee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

buckin-wood

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
$214 for this pro
Blues are $300 and orange are $315ish.

I’ve been watching them, 395’s and 200’s for a bit.

$214 for a pro is less than half the price I usually see them go for. I'd be leery, it seems too good to be true. Or maybe the prices are coming back down? A few years back you could get 660 clones for $178 shipped to your door, but haven't seen prices like that in a while.

Regarding pro vs non-pro versions.. I've not put my hands on a pro unit, but my gut says to spend as little as possible for these chinese clones. Then take it apart to a) inspect the cheaper than dirt components so you know what you've got b) clean all the nonsense out that they don't at the factory c) replace parts that need replacing with what you're comfortable running - or just put it back together and send it.

Matt Ellerbee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
$214 for a pro is less than half the price I usually see them go for. I'd be leery, it seems too good to be true. Or maybe the prices are coming back down? A few years back you could get 660 clones for $178 shipped to your door, but haven't seen prices like that in a while.

Regarding pro vs non-pro versions.. I've not put my hands on a pro unit, but my gut says to spend as little as possible for these chinese clones. Then take it apart to a) inspect the cheaper than dirt components so you know what you've got b) clean all the nonsense out that they don't at the factory c) replace parts that need replacing with what you're comfortable running - or just put it back together and send it.
See post above. Just picked up, well, paid for a 395. Paid with my credit card through PayPal. Not worried a bit, other than it’ll be on the absolute slowest of slow boats from china.

Last edited:

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just happened to look again and this popped up. G395 for $106 and free shipping. And now we wait…
Just clicked on the link and it says out of stock. I was going to buy one too.

buckin-wood

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Musta got the last only one.

I doubt there were any to begin with. I hope I'm wrong, but looking at the seller... it has scam written all over it.

- seller has only 7 positive feedbacks in the last year
- seller has been selling anime crap up until these saws got posted
- the last two sales have been "private listings" , so you can see anything about them

It's likely a compromised ebay account. The way this works... the hacker posts a bunch of unbelievably good deals. The buyer pays with paypal thinking they're good to go. The seller then drags their feet shipping the item they don't have. When the buyer inquires about it they get some response about processing time, yadda yadda yadda. The buyer presses more for tracking and the seller eventually puts a plastic trinket in an envelope, whatever the cheapest thing is they can mail and still have tracking information. Seller sends tracking info to buyer, but it takes days... maybe a week or more for the package to get to port where it sits. They wait until the cargo container with all the little items are tossed in is full enough to put on the boat. Meanwhile the buyer has to use some janky tracking that provides a bunch of hard to distinguish chinese. It eventually gets on a slow boat. The slowest boat ever, the one that is powered by a couple 6.5hp predator engines. Weeks and weeks have gone by at this point. The seller just needs enough time to get a bunch of sales and money transferred out of ebay without wracking up too many complaints. They have the tracking information and can claim "we sent the items, they're in transit" for a while. Eventually the ship gets to the coast of CA where it hopefully doesn't spend too long getting unloaded. Then you can probably track the trinket... just a few more days until you get that plastic frog or giraffe maybe. The seller has already got payment, already withdrawn from wherever ebay sent the money. They made some thousands and are onto the next hacked ebay account.

If you're lucky and you get tracking information sooner than later you might be able to determine what kind of package was sent, if its a small envelope or box, and sometimes you might be able to find out the weight. If anything looks slightly off I'd contact ebay/paypal immediately. Ebay's protection is only 30 days, but paypal should have longer coverage. And if paypal has other complaints from the same seller they may just go ahead and refund you right away.

I hope I'm completely wrong and the cost of these Chinese knockoff saws have fallen off a cliff, and you can actually buy them for half or 1/3rd what they've been selling for.

SimonHS

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The way this works... the hacker posts a bunch of unbelievably good deals.

Usually on a Friday evening. Thinking that eBay staff don't work the weekend, so the listings will stay up for 48 hours or more.

I used to see lots of high end electronic test gear appear on Friday evenings, at unbelievably low prices. Not seen as much recently, so maybe eBay has clamped down on it a bit?

Matt Ellerbee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
only 20 days to find out! did tracking information reveal anything about the package, dimensions or weight? would be pretty amazing if you scored a $106 395 clone
Nothing I can easily find. China post site doesn’t tell much. And the number doesn’t work for USPS, yet.

buckin-wood

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
looks like things got bad in the past month for the seller of the half price 372pro linked above...

1686973212783.png

I can't even find the seller of the $100 395. I assume it was a compromised account which has been shut down.

Matt Ellerbee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I doubt there were any to begin with. I hope I'm wrong, but looking at the seller... it has scam written all over it.

- seller has only 7 positive feedbacks in the last year
- seller has been selling anime crap up until these saws got posted
- the last two sales have been "private listings" , so you can see anything about them

It's likely a compromised ebay account. The way this works... the hacker posts a bunch of unbelievably good deals. The buyer pays with paypal thinking they're good to go. The seller then drags their feet shipping the item they don't have. When the buyer inquires about it they get some response about processing time, yadda yadda yadda. The buyer presses more for tracking and the seller eventually puts a plastic trinket in an envelope, whatever the cheapest thing is they can mail and still have tracking information. Seller sends tracking info to buyer, but it takes days... maybe a week or more for the package to get to port where it sits. They wait until the cargo container with all the little items are tossed in is full enough to put on the boat. Meanwhile the buyer has to use some janky tracking that provides a bunch of hard to distinguish chinese. It eventually gets on a slow boat. The slowest boat ever, the one that is powered by a couple 6.5hp predator engines. Weeks and weeks have gone by at this point. The seller just needs enough time to get a bunch of sales and money transferred out of ebay without wracking up too many complaints. They have the tracking information and can claim "we sent the items, they're in transit" for a while. Eventually the ship gets to the coast of CA where it hopefully doesn't spend too long getting unloaded. Then you can probably track the trinket... just a few more days until you get that plastic frog or giraffe maybe. The seller has already got payment, already withdrawn from wherever ebay sent the money. They made some thousands and are onto the next hacked ebay account.

If you're lucky and you get tracking information sooner than later you might be able to determine what kind of package was sent, if its a small envelope or box, and sometimes you might be able to find out the weight. If anything looks slightly off I'd contact ebay/paypal immediately. Ebay's protection is only 30 days, but paypal should have longer coverage. And if paypal has other complaints from the same seller they may just go ahead and refund you right away.

I hope I'm completely wrong and the cost of these Chinese knockoff saws have fallen off a cliff, and you can actually buy them for half or 1/3rd what they've been selling for.
You may be correct. I tried to click the sellers name today, came up as an error, can't be found. I will wait till tomorrow to file a claim with ebay, since the delivery date should be the 22nd.

I'll keep y'all posted.