Excalibur Axiom crossbow

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, Santa came early for me and I got an Excalibur Axiom crossbow for $275 plus shipping. I have a cheaper one but not sure I would want to use it for hunting beyond bad breath distance. Looks to be in good shape,the seller said the original string could stand to be replaced.

So, anybody know about these things? Excalibur seems to be the best choice in the sub$1000 range and it's a recurve, which I wanted. I'm just not a good enough hunter to consistently score during the three weeks total of rifle and muzzleloader season.

Inlineforagoodtime

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I really like my Excalibur axe, taken deer with it since 2019. I will give you fair warning. One of my limbs cracked this year. Some of the limbs fail, old Excalibur’s limbs don’t. They used to be much wider but they were much slower fps. They have said they fixed the manufacturing process but who knows. Excalibur sent the limbs to my old address and had to return to sender them then send them back to me. I didn’t have my bow for 2 weeks of deer season and they really rubbed me the wrong way. I installed the new limbs and the xbow was dead nuts hitting bullseyes, quite impressive. I hope your limbs hold up, I have a second set I had to buy for $150 because I don’t trust my limbs anymore. If I had to do it all over again I’d buy 2 300 dollar bows from Walmart. I don’t want a good warranty, I want a product that works.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. From what I understand the Axiom is one of the older bows with bigger limbs and less FPS. One thing I noticed from perusing all the archery forums is that most makers have decent products but warranties and customer service vary widely. Thread after thread about how Barnett is a good cheap crossbow as long as you accept that they probably aren't going to help you out if you have problems or even return calls and e-mails.

My current crossbow is decent for what little I paid for it and surprisingly accurate. Mine is branded Wildgame Innovations but also sold by Barnett and others. Thing is, it doesn't come anywhere near the advertised 250 fps no matter what arrow or tip I use and I have chronographed it. 200 tops. I'm sure that would take a small deer at close range, but I'm just not totally comfortable with that. Kind of like using an M1 carbine. Yes, you can kill deer with it, but you really should use something stronger if possible out of respect for your game.

Last edited:

Inlineforagoodtime

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks. From what I understand the Axiom is one of the older bows with bigger limbs and less FPS. One thing I noticed from perusing all the archery forums is that most makers have decent products but warranties and customer service vary widely. Thread after thread about how Barnett is a good cheap crossbow as long as you accept that they probably aren't going to help you out if you have problems or even return calls and e-mails.

My current crossbow is decent for what little I paid for it and surprisingly accurate. Mine is branded Wildgame Innovations but also sold by Barnett and others. Thing is, it doesn't come anywhere near the advertised 250 fps no matter what arrow or tip I use and I have chronographed it. 200 tops. I'm sure that would take a small deer at close range, but I'm just not totally comfortable with that. Kind of like using an M1 carbine. Yes, you can kill deer with it, but you really should use something stronger if possible out of respect for your game.
Hell yeah, now that I looked it up it is the older bow. That’s a super reliable bow. It’s not fast but if you shoot a heavy arrow and don’t go out past 30 you’ll be good.

IffykidMn

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I really like my Excalibur axe, taken deer with it since 2019. I will give you fair warning. One of my limbs cracked this year. Some of the limbs fail, old Excalibur’s limbs don’t. They used to be much wider but they were much slower fps. They have said they fixed the manufacturing process but who knows. Excalibur sent the limbs to my old address and had to return to sender them then send them back to me. I didn’t have my bow for 2 weeks of deer season and they really rubbed me the wrong way. I installed the new limbs and the xbow was dead nuts hitting bullseyes, quite impressive. I hope your limbs hold up, I have a second set I had to buy for $150 because I don’t trust my limbs anymore. If I had to do it all over again I’d buy 2 300 dollar bows from Walmart. I don’t want a good warranty, I want a product that works.
Sounds like they made a mistake and corrected it.

Inlineforagoodtime

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sounds like they made a mistake and corrected it.
They did what they could for me albeit very slowly. I am fortunate that the limb did not fail while fully cocked near my face like others have experienced. I am also fortunate that I wasn’t on the hunting trip of a lifetime many miles away from civilization without a paddle.

IffykidMn

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They did what they could for me albeit very slowly. I am fortunate that the limb did not fail while fully cocked near my face like others have experienced. I am also fortunate that I wasn’t on the hunting trip of a lifetime many miles away from civilization without a paddle.
Guess I am fortunate to always have a backup plan just for a normal hunt let alone the hunt of a lifetime and I was never even a Boy Scout.

Inlineforagoodtime

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got the crossbow and it looks to be in good shape. Shot it a few times in the backyard and I'm amazed at how strong it is. Don't use a hay bale for a target 'cause the arrows just disappear! The cheap package scope it came with is dead, I have a new Truglo to put on it. The new string showed up so I'll change that too

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The stringer I have for my old one is too short, and the rope stringer I made keeps sliding down the limbs. I don't feel comfortable trying to engineer another way, so I broke down and ordered an Excalibur stringer for it.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The cheap OEM scope that came with the bow is busted, which is no big deal. Just out of curiosity I e-mailed Excalibur to ask if they had repair or trade-ins for scopes. They said that it was covered under the lifetime warranty along with the rest of the bow, and I could send it in for free replacement! Didn't even ask for a receipt or if I was the original owner!

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got my stringer and put a new string on it. Sighted in today with some Gold Tip 425's and 125 grain target points and broadheads. Surprisingly flat shooting out to 30 yards, almost no correction needed. The broadheads are G5 one piece. They shoot the same as target points and penetrate like mad. I placed my old archery target in front of my new one to test them. Went right through the old target and halfway into the new one at 30 yards!

Took it out hunting for a couple of hours this afternoon. Saw the same three does that have been taunting me this year. They came to 75 yards but never closer. All I can think of is to hang my climber as close as possible to the path they always take and hope they don't notice me. The bucks have disappeared of course, I suspect they have gone nocturnal.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I never got a deer with the crossbow but came close a few times. Did see some little ones that I let walk. On the last day of the season January 16, I discharged it before leaving. The shot didn't sound right, so I decided to try another arrow. Discovered the firing mechanism would no longer catch the string. Contacted Excalibur and they said send it on in. Its supposed to be back tomorrow. I'm really impressed with this crossbow and Excalibur, they've got a customer for life here!