Differences between chainsaws and other internal combustion engines

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
4:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just like it says. I'll go first. It was always drilled into me that no start and poor running was rarely carb and almost always ignition.
Doesn't seem to be as much the case with saws.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
3:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seems to me I heard a fella say one time, "Chainsaws are like women, they're high maintenance."

exSW

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I find that the majority of repairs that I have done are carb-fuel related, on all types of equipment.

Cars,trucks and other multi cylinder gas powered also? Never really had much fuel system problems. Now ignition modules,pickup coils,plugs,wires,caps,rotors,bad grounds,wiring and so on oh yeah.

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well, I don't work on cars and trucks, except my own.
On those, I would imagine fuel system problems are quite low, since there is less chance for contamination, and they don't sit idle for long periods of time.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I would say 85-90% of saws and small 4stoke engines i get come in the shop for service or repairs is down to the fuel system . Ether by ingress of crap into the carb /jets or no fuel getting as far as the carb ..filters.. impulse and blockages. This is across the brands/ makes of mowers /trimmers and saws.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
All the tractors iv owned /own (INT , Fordson) have been Diesel ... in general poor running has come down to fuel filter/air filter blockages or in the winter ...weak batteries. Cars and Trucks (Audi,Bmw,Vw, Landrover, Ford ........) in the main have been reliable, some petrol some Diesel. Most issues other than normal service items have come down to systems that monitor things ..the sensors themselves go faulty and cause the ECU to not get the information it needs.

exSW

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All the tractors iv owned /own (INT , Fordson) have been Diesel ... in general poor running has come down to fuel filter/air filter blockages or in the winter ...weak batteries.
Plus one on the diesels." Son,did you change the fuel filter in your truck"?"Not yet Dad"(this is October). Come January,"Dad the truck just died"."How far up the road are you"( It's five below F)."About two miles". "Is that new fuel filter still under the seat"? Talk about a teachable moment.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Plus one on the diesels." Son,did you change the fuel filter in your truck"?"Not yet Dad"(this is October). Come January,"Dad the truck just died"."How far up the road are you"( It's five below F)."About two miles". "Is that new fuel filter still under the seat"? Talk about a teachable moment.
:D..the service interval is there for a good reason as we know with a bit more life experience !
We have more need to keep Diesel system fresh these days with Bio Diesel content in the UK. "Red Diesel" (you may have the same sort of thing ? ) is for Agricultural and industrial machines (lower tax) NOT allowed in trucks and cars. It can get a bacterial bloom like gloop , if the fuel sits in the tank for a while .

grassguerilla

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Smaller relatively low hour engines suffer more from fuel system issues in my experience. Larger engines like autos tend to have more issues with spark delivery or sensor failure.

exSW

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
:D..the service interval is there for a good reason as we know with a bit more life experience !
We have more need to keep Diesel system fresh these days with Bio Diesel content in the UK. "Red Diesel" (you may have the same sort of thing ? ) is for Agricultural and industrial machines (lower tax) NOT allowed in trucks and cars. It can get a bacterial bloom like gloop , if the fuel sits in the tank for a while .

Yes we have red "Off road" diesel. Ag,construction,locomotives,mining,marine all get it. And yes it can go to crap with algee. I don't even keep fuel on the farm anymore. Transport tank in the truck bed.