Depression/ anxiety?

Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
11:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You know I understand that.......but my point was to get the kids out away from social media, peer pressures, and let them do more kid stuff. When I was a boy, my dad was always drunk......raising hell about something. Us boys would take to the woods, or the fishing holes........or play ball......anything but be hemmed up with that crap.

I completely understand where you stood buddy. I know exactly what you meant. Social media status and school friends are much different today then when I was in school.
We didn’t have iPods.....or YouTube.
We had “outside”

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
10:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I completely understand where you stood buddy. I know exactly what you meant. Social media status and school friends are much different today then when I was in school.
We didn’t have iPods.....or YouTube.
We had “outside”

And kids today need much more outside in my humble opinion.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I want to bump this back up. I'm not one to talk about my kids much, but my 10 year old has been dealing with anxiety for couple years now. It started with night terrors and now he worries himself until he pukes. I hate for him to be on medication, anyone else's kids have anxiety? Any tips, thoughts? This is really hard on me watching this, thanks guys!
My daughter was/ is like that. She would get real worked up about something and get sick.
Now she has asma ( i know thats not spelled propper) and if she gets worked up it spikes the asma.
For example she does gymnastics lessons and we were gonna drop her off and just run out to do something quick and just the thought of us being gone she had a real bad asthma attack.
She is 11 years old this month. Being home alone while we run up town for ten mins dont bother her but being at something like her gymnastics class for ten mins bothers her. Kinda frustrating lol.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

alleyyooper

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I am sure part of the problem is well just Flint Michigan. All the crappy stuff that goes on around there. Worrying if yoiu will catch the next stray one. Even Anglos is closeing because the people don't want to go to the east side for a coney better to drive to the Anglos in Gran Blanc.

Know a fellow who was having problem copeing worrying about his middle school kids and his wife. Finally said Phewie and took the loss and moved East out between Belsey and Irish road near Willams Gun sight company.

Said it improved his out look on life a whole bunch.

Now me I don't live near Flint but I have to go there regular for my VA appointments, Of course Linden road between Miller and Corrona road isn't so much to worry about.

Now it is hard to over come this prolonged Mud season this year but If I didn't have my own woods to walk in and watch the critters you can bet I would hit For Mar and do some hicking back there.

:D Al

Flint Mitch

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am sure part of the problem is well just Flint Michigan. All the crappy stuff that goes on around there. Worrying if yoiu will catch the next stray one. Even Anglos is closeing because the people don't want to go to the east side for a coney better to drive to the Anglos in Gran Blanc.

Know a fellow who was having problem copeing worrying about his middle school kids and his wife. Finally said Phewie and took the loss and moved East out between Belsey and Irish road near Willams Gun sight company.

Said it improved his out look on life a whole bunch.

Now me I don't live near Flint but I have to go there regular for my VA appointments, Of course Linden road between Miller and Corrona road isn't so much to worry about.

Now it is hard to over come this prolonged Mud season this year but If I didn't have my own woods to walk in and watch the critters you can bet I would hit For Mar and do some hicking back there.

You know my stomping grounds! I actually live in the country now in Corunna. I spend lots of time working in the yard, and processing wood(by hand) now and the extra exercise seems to help

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Yukon Stihl

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I want to bump this back up. I'm not one to talk about my kids much, but my 10 year old has been dealing with anxiety for couple years now. It started with night terrors and now he worries himself until he pukes. I hate for him to be on medication, anyone else's kids have anxiety? Any tips, thoughts? This is really hard on me watching this, thanks guys!
See if you can find some books written by DR Daniel G.Amen he has a great approach to dealing with the brain

Yukon Stihl

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As fun as fishing sounds.....
Anxiety is a mental illness.
It’s no joke. If not diagnosed and treated properly, it can be devastating. Especially in young children.
And sometimes it is as simple as an allergy or lack of a mineral or nutrient.
Not to say it isn't serious
But everyone is an individual.Just because someone is showing signs of anxiety dosn't mean you can treat then the same as 25 others exhibiting the same symptoms.

Yukon Stihl

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My daughter was/ is like that. She would get real worked up about something and get sick.
Now she has asma ( i know thats not spelled propper) and if she gets worked up it spikes the asma.
For example she does gymnastics lessons and we were gonna drop her off and just run out to do something quick and just the thought of us being gone she had a real bad asthma attack.
She is 11 years old this month. Being home alone while we run up town for ten mins dont bother her but being at something like her gymnastics class for ten mins bothers her. Kinda frustrating lol.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
My daughter has asthma,she was pretty limited to what she could do till they got he on singular,after that her life was pretty normal

Duke Thieroff

Fill your hands you SOB!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hate to put it all out there like this but it really ain't much to be ashamed of, not like I had much control. A couple years back I had an instance of depression/anxiety that was pretty very unfamiliar feeling to me. I was just about to crest 30 years old and it's typical of all my immediate family members to go through the same scenario.

Runs in the family.

The whole bit was very atypical for me and foreign feeling. I had a "panic attack" or two followed by some level of depression for at least a year afterwards. I wasn't "sad" I just couldn't really feel anything. Then the fear of never getting back to normal or having another anxiety attack began to eat at me. LOL, what a cycle.

Basically spent 1.5-2 years of my life constantly reassuring myself in my head and not giving up. After all it IS just in your head and stuff really is OK(still sucks horribly though). Fact is I was able to find some type of silver lining in it. It helped me put into perspective what was really important to me in life and almost acted like a reset button for me. Spend more time with family, quit smoking, started exercising and began partaking in some leisure activity instead of working ALL THE TIME. Got right with my concept of my purpose in this life and the direction for my life. For whatever reason I feel more comfortable in my own skin now than ever before.

Most of all though it gave me some experience in feeling really *s-wordty and gave me some understanding of what it's like to feel this way. With these experiences it has helped me to better understand my fellow man and helped me be a little more empathetic instead of a hard-ass all the time.

That's all I got for now

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

John, please feel like you can talk to us any time about this. Many have or are experiencing this and are willing to talk about their journey as it helps us all. First place to start is a good visit to the family Dr. If all he/she wants to do ir write a prescription then find a different one. My oldest starting having some issues about this age and we didn't notice or do anything about it, he eventually attempted suicide 3 times by the age of 13. (as an aside he'll be 22 in 2 weeks). There are low/no cost options out there you just need to be able to find them. We were very lucky that we were able to get Griffin in to a publicly funded mental health program for 12 sessions with a Dr and he has never been on meds for his mental health and continues to work within that field.

There have been a couple of mentions of mindfulness and I would do some research, Griffin speaks very highly of this for helping him. I would also look for a "Fidget Cube" for her, not those ridiculous fidget spinner things that were all the rage a while ago but a cube. Can be held in one hand and is silent but can be a way for her to occupy part of her brain automomously while creating better focus on the task at hand.

Please feel free to PM me if you want to chat a little more privately, let me know where in MN you are located and maybe I can help direct you to some resources. If nothing else you can always start with Kids Help Phone, if your daughter texts she can even have a text conversation with someone there that can be helpful. The number one thing I can recommend is to keep talking, you to her, her to someone and you to someone as well.

Gary

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hate to put it all out there like this but it really ain't much to be ashamed of, not like I had much control. A couple years back I had an instance of depression/anxiety that was pretty very unfamiliar feeling to me. I was just about to crest 30 years old and it's typical of all my immediate family members to go through the same scenario.

Runs in the family.

The whole bit was very atypical for me and foreign feeling. I had a "panic attack" or two followed by some level of depression for at least a year afterwards. I wasn't "sad" I just couldn't really feel anything. Then the fear of never getting back to normal or having another anxiety attack began to eat at me. LOL, what a cycle.

Basically spent 1.5-2 years of my life constantly reassuring myself in my head and not giving up. After all it IS just in your head and stuff really is OK(still sucks horribly though). Fact is I was able to find some type of silver lining in it. It helped me put into perspective what was really important to me in life and almost acted like a reset button for me. Spend more time with family, quit smoking, started exercising and began partaking in some leisure activity instead of working ALL THE TIME. Got right with my concept of my purpose in this life and the direction for my life. For whatever reason I feel more comfortable in my own skin now than ever before.

Most of all though it gave me some experience in feeling really *s-wordty and gave me some understanding of what it's like to feel this way. With these experiences it has helped me to better understand my fellow man and helped me be a little more empathetic instead of a hard-ass all the time.

That's all I got for now

Damn good post Chris. Thanks for sharing.

I've been depressed for months.....since I ran over my dog. But.....it's starting to get better. Like you said, gotta just keep on keeping on. I've been taking more time off to spend with friends and family too. Really is helping.

Duke Thieroff

Fill your hands you SOB!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Damn good post Chris. Thanks for sharing.

I've been depressed for months.....since I ran over my dog. But.....it's starting to get better. Like you said, gotta just keep on keeping on. I've been taking more time off to spend with friends and family too. Really is helping.

Part of the human experience my man. Everything takes time.

A friend I'm very close with at work was recently in a terrible car accident and lost his son. For so many reasons I won't get into it's definitely one of the saddest things I've ever seen.

I think without what I went through a couple years ago my selfish ass would've never been able to be sad WITH him and FOR him.
There's no way I could ever pretend to understand what he's going through but what a privilege it is to be his friend and have a different perspective than I used to.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Runs in the family.

That's all I got for now
Well said young man...

alleyyooper

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
AW Home to McGurrety park July 4th Car/truck show.
Do you have tools A place warm where you can tinker?
If you do look on Criags list and find some old lawn mower or snowblower and fix them up and sell them.
Might even look for chain saws needing some love. Other wise get your miond on doing some work.

BangBang77

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've read through this thread more times than I can count since joining up here and just didn't know where to start.

My story started as the oldest of 3 brothers, born to a mother who preferred prescription meds and illegal narcotics to being a mom and to a father who, having done a few tours in da Nam, would rather get drunk and beat the hell out of us. My mom rolled out when I was 4 and left us with my dad. I didn't see her again until I was 17. I buried her before I turned 22.

I know what it's like to voluntarily take a beating to keep my brothers safe. I know what it's like to steal food from the store so they could eat, or to cram my school lunch in my coat pockets so they could have food at night.

I became hard. Fast. I was smaller than most at school. Dirty clothes, hair, fingernail, etc. So between the beatings I got at home and the ribbing I got at school, I had no choice but to get hard. As such, I did a lot of things I'm not proud of. Stealing, fighting, drugs, and so on.

My childhood built a fire in me, deep down in places you don't talk about with even your wife. That fire turned to hunger. For something "better". So at 16yrs old, I loaded my old Jeep up with my 2 little brothers, who were 13 and 15, and we headed out. I had cut enough wood and hauled enough hay to rent a trailer from a friend's family. At 18, with little options in front of me, and a world of pain behind me, I signed my ass over to Uncle Sam and landed at Ft Benning, Georgia. After a 3yr hitch as a paratrooper, I came home, hungrier for more.

Somehow scored a job at a local factory on the production floor and then was accepted into a 4yr millwright apprenticeship at the same plant. Then did 2 more yrs to get my journeyman card as an industrial electrician. In the midst of all my work and schooling, I met a woman with 2 small kids. They saved my life. They gave me purpose and taught me what love is. I didn't know what a father was supposed to be, but I damn sure knew what NOT to be. Then one day, I'm walking the daughter down the aisle. Next thing I know, I have 6 grandkids. The next chapter in atoning for my sins. And that is what the last 28yrs has been for me. Atonement.

I've always been quite a bit higher on the IQ scale than those around me. That, combined with a wealth of experience and fire in my gut for a better life, has led me to some damn interesting places on this planet. From wilderness rescues, climbing Rainier and Hood, paddling the Natahayla and the Colorado, running construction projects in jungles and 3rd world *s-word holes, you name it.

I've made more money and been more successful than I ever had any right to be. Due to the stress and strain that comes with a global engineering management positon, things that I thought were long in my past began to surface in early 2016. My mind raced, I would wake up in the middle of the night, taking notes, coming up with solutions to problems so the company (who didn't two chits about me) could make even more money. I became numb and my work performance began to suffer. And my drinking, which had once been for fun and a part of the corporate culture, took control.

Once again, I was saved by my wife. We had everything we wanted in life by most standards. 360acres, high dollar horses, sports cars, houses, kids were spoiled ass rotten. I tried to give her and them what I never had, and in doing so, had reached a point where I no longer wanted to go on. My wife told me none of what we had was worth it any longer. We sold it. The farm, the horses, the whole shebang. I got on an airplane, flew to our corporate headquarters in Frankfurt, Germany and walked away from a job and salary that Harvard grads don't make. Six figures a few times over.

I took a job at a company in Okahoma for a lot less money, but also a lot less stress. What we didn't sell in Arkansas, we loaded up and hauled to Oklahoma in 2016.

I lose focus in most hobbies and activities fairly quickly. I pick up a hobby, master it, get bored, and move on. Shooting, mountaineering, rodeo, rescue, whitewater paddling, skydiving. BTDT.

The one thing that I always come back to is cuttin wood. I may have a closet full of ostrich skin cowboy boots and $1000 suits, but at the end of the day, I'm still the dirt-poor farm boy from SE Oklahoma, who grew up with an old Homelite that kept me and my brothers alive.

Between the love of my wife, a son and daughter who didn't start out as mine, a herd of grandkids, and my love of the feel of a good sharp chain throwing chips, I may have found a little peace in my soul.

I still have bad days. I still wish I could take back some of the bad chit I've done and the enemies I've made because of it. But I'm okay. I'm a survivor.

To all in this thread who may be having a bad day or going through a tough time, remember this - no matter how bad it gets, someone loves you, counts on you, and believes in you. The one thing that differentiates those who survive and those who don't is purpose. Find that purpose. See the beauty in all things around you and know that you are here for a reason.

Sorry for the long winded post. I have no damn clue why I told my story to a group of 2000+ complete strangers on a chainsaw forum. Just hope it helps someone.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've read through this thread more times than I can count since joining up here and just didn't know where to start.

My story started as the oldest of 3 brothers, born to a mother who preferred prescription meds and illegal narcotics to being a mom and to a father who, having done a few tours in da Nam, would rather get drunk and beat the hell out of us. My mom rolled out when I was 4 and left us with my dad. I didn't see her again until I was 17. I buried her before I turned 22.

I know what it's like to voluntarily take a beating to keep my brothers safe. I know what it's like to steal food from the store so they could eat, or to cram my school lunch in my coat pockets so they could have food at night.

I became hard. Fast. I was smaller than most at school. Dirty clothes, hair, fingernail, etc. So between the beatings I got at home and the ribbing I got at school, I had no choice but to get hard. As such, I did a lot of things I'm not proud of. Stealing, fighting, drugs, and so on.

My childhood built a fire in me, deep down in places you don't talk about with even your wife. That fire turned to hunger. For something "better". So at 16yrs old, I loaded my old Jeep up with my 2 little brothers, who were 13 and 15, and we headed out. I had cut enough wood and hauled enough hay to rent a trailer from a friend's family. At 18, with little options in front of me, and a world of pain behind me, I signed my ass over to Uncle Sam and landed at Ft Benning, Georgia. After a 3yr hitch as a paratrooper, I came home, hungrier for more.

Somehow scored a job at a local factory on the production floor and then was accepted into a 4yr millwright apprenticeship at the same plant. Then did 2 more yrs to get my journeyman card as an industrial electrician. In the midst of all my work and schooling, I met a woman with 2 small kids. They saved my life. They gave me purpose and taught me what love is. I didn't know what a father was supposed to be, but I damn sure knew what NOT to be. Then one day, I'm walking the daughter down the aisle. Next thing I know, I have 6 grandkids. The next chapter in atoning for my sins. And that is what the last 28yrs has been for me. Atonement.

I've always been quite a bit higher on the IQ scale than those around me. That, combined with a wealth of experience and fire in my gut for a better life, has led me to some damn interesting places on this planet. From wilderness rescues, climbing Rainier and Hood, paddling the Natahayla and the Colorado, running construction projects in jungles and 3rd world *s-word holes, you name it.

I've made more money and been more successful than I ever had any right to be. Due to the stress and strain that comes with a global engineering management positon, things that I thought were long in my past began to surface in early 2016. My mind raced, I would wake up in the middle of the night, taking notes, coming up with solutions to problems so the company (who didn't two chits about me) could make even more money. I became numb and my work performance began to suffer. And my drinking, which had once been for fun and a part of the corporate culture, took control.

Once again, I was saved by my wife. We had everything we wanted in life by most standards. 360acres, high dollar horses, sports cars, houses, kids were spoiled ass rotten. I tried to give her and them what I never had, and in doing so, had reached a point where I no longer wanted to go on. My wife told me none of what we had was worth it any longer. We sold it. The farm, the horses, the whole shebang. I got on an airplane, flew to our corporate headquarters in Frankfurt, Germany and walked away from a job and salary that Harvard grads don't make. Six figures a few times over.

I took a job at a company in Okahoma for a lot less money, but also a lot less stress. What we didn't sell in Arkansas, we loaded up and hauled to Oklahoma in 2016.

I lose focus in most hobbies and activities fairly quickly. I pick up a hobby, master it, get bored, and move on. Shooting, mountaineering, rodeo, rescue, whitewater paddling, skydiving. BTDT.

The one thing that I always come back to is cuttin wood. I may have a closet full of ostrich skin cowboy boots and $1000 suits, but at the end of the day, I'm still the dirt-poor farm boy from SE Oklahoma, who grew up with an old Homelite that kept me and my brothers alive.

Between the love of my wife, a son and daughter who didn't start out as mine, a herd of grandkids, and my love of the feel of a good sharp chain throwing chips, I may have found a little peace in my soul.

I still have bad days. I still wish I could take back some of the bad chit I've done and the enemies I've made because of it. But I'm okay. I'm a survivor.

To all in this thread who may be having a bad day or going through a tough time, remember this - no matter how bad it gets, someone loves you, counts on you, and believes in you. The one thing that differentiates those who survive and those who don't is purpose. Find that purpose. See the beauty in all things around you and know that you are here for a reason.

Sorry for the long winded post. I have no damn clue why I told my story to a group of 2000+ complete strangers on a chainsaw forum. Just hope it helps someone.

Thanks for sharing. And I feel that you get the sense of community that's felt here buy many others and myself.

And I'm Wayne by the way just in the next state north of ya.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

you're "new" brother in Jersey thanks you for your post and Spirit