Matt D

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello everyone,

So I picked this saw up last year because it was on Craigslist for real cheap because the bar studs fell out and the repair shop the guy took it to said it wasn't worth fixing. I got it home, replaced the studs, fired it up and did a little cutting with it to make sure it ran and put it away. I don't heat with wood so I really only use saws when there's storm damage or a friend needs a hand taking down some trees. I gassed the saw up yesterday and cut up some wind fallen trees from a previous storm and the saw has good power but it tends to bog when deep in a log and I noticed it likes to load up when idling after a few seconds. My first thoughts are it needs a tune up including fuel filter, carb kit and spark plug. Am I correct it my assumption or is there something else that could be causing the bog when the saw is in wood?

Most times when it started to bog I could lift it out of the cut a bit and it would pick back up and I could drop it back in and get through the cut. I feel the saw should have plenty of power to cut through the size logs I was without any bogging. I decided to come here to ask the experts there thoughts? I don't mind spending a few bucks getting the saw in tip top shape since I got it for so cheap but I don't want to just throw parts at it so I figured I would ask the experts before I break out the credit card and start ordering parts.

Thanks in advance
-Matt

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those were notorious for air leaks where the intake boot clamps to the cylinder. Reduced compression could cause what you describe. It could just need some adjustment to the carburetor or the things you're looking to replace could help as well. Lots of variables.

Matt D

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those were notorious for air leaks where the intake boot clamps to the cylinder. Reduced compression could cause what you describe. It could just need some adjustment to the carburetor or the things you're looking to replace could help as well. Lots of variables.

Ok, I thought I remember reading about something similar with the husqvarna 350's and an upgraded clamp and boot. Does the same apply to this model do you know, I know they are like sister saws.

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, I thought I remember reading about something similar with the husqvarna 350's and an upgraded clamp and boot. Does the same apply to this model do you know, I know they are like sister saws.
Yes. If you have a 4mm allen wrench only two bolts hold the muffler on. A quick peek at the piston wouldn't hurt. If you're not sure what you're seeing post w pic.

Matt D

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok so I got bored and tore the saw down haha. Piston and cylinder are immaculate so that makes me real happy. Found the upgraded clamp kit and ordered that along with a carb rebuild kit. I'll get that done and I guess go from there?

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok so I got bored and tore the saw down haha. Piston and cylinder are immaculate so that makes me real happy. Found the upgraded clamp kit and ordered that along with a carb rebuild kit. I'll get that done and I guess go from there?
Good plan. Might as well change out the fuel line and filter when you do the carb.

Matt D

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, I’m going to give it a full tune up and hope that takes care of the bogging

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How big of a bar on it and what sort of chain? If the previous owner filed the rakers a whole lot then that will definitely put the brakes on.