Correct carb for MS-261 non m tronic

Woodlarc

OPE Member
Local time
7:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Hi all,

Inherited an older non running MS 261 and find the carb has no id marks whatsoever. Not even Zama. No dealer so get the official Stihl parts list and perplexed when see 3 different carbs listed with 2 different ways of identifying them. The first is strictly #'s and I'm guessing is a Stihl part # and second, starting with "C1Q" is a Zama identifier. Correct me if I'm wrong

Anyway, none of these relate to anything for sale on Ebay or Amazon so am asking for help on how to pursue this.

* Most fundamentally, could anyone or everyone tell me what identifying marks you have on yours?

And for those more involved:

* Will same carb work in all years? If is same carb that means they just keep changing #'s for no good reason with each superseding the last and then they stopped listing the succession deep in the past. Is this true?

* Or if the succession of identifiers is listed somewhere, where? Tried hard and failed

* Mostly Ebay sellers or others offer a C1Q-S246 or sometimes a C1Q-S252. Are these the same and will they work? Apparently you're just supposed to take seller's word that they work on Ms261, 271, 291. How do they know that and I can't?

And what is current stihl # and what were previous #'s that would work. Third one on ancient parts list is 1141-120-0604. Gone, into the black.

Anyway, my first venture into the murky world of parts aquisition and I'm not impressed. Please chip in with whatever you know in or around this subject.

Last edited:

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Which saw of the MS 261 (exact version, year of manufacture, serial number) do you have? The marking system changed in the past. Your dealer would also be able to help you.

Last edited:

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
According to a 2019 Technical guide I have from Stihl the MS261 there are four carburetors at the time it was published. The one in green is last supersede that is listed but that may have changed this year. I searched the whole document and didn't find 1141 120 0604 listed anywhere.

MS 261 / C-Q
C1Q-S178 1141 120 0600
C1Q-S211 1141 120 0606
C1Q-S252 1141 120 0616
C1Q-100361 1141 120 0636

The C1Q-S246 1141 120 0611 is listed for the MS271/MS291.

Now the MS 261 C-M / C-MQ which I think are the M-tronics versions but could be Magnums used. These guys that work on them more would know which it is.
C1Q-S229 1141 120 0620
C1Q- 100362 1141 120 0630

BTW Stihl is changing how they are identifying the carbs since they took over Zama. The last one I got from the Stihl was laser etched with the engine series PN but the rest of the numbers didn't correlate to PN on the packaging.

Last edited:

Woodlarc

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Which saw of the MS 261 (exact version, year of manufacture, serial number) do you have? The marking system changed in the past. Your dealer would also be able to help you.
Hi DND--I don't have a dealer

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What`s the data of the saw (see my first question).

Woodlarc

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
According to a 2019 Technical guide I have from Stihl the MS261 there are four carburetors at the time it was published. The one in green is last supersede that is listed but that may have changed this year. I searched the whole document and didn't find 1141 120 0604 listed anywhere.

MS 261 / C-Q
C1Q-S178 1141 120 0600
C1Q-S211 1141 120 0606
C1Q-S252 1141 120 0616
C1Q-100361 1141 120 0636

The C1Q-S246 1141 120 0611 is listed for the MS271/MS291.

Now the MS 261 C-M / C-MQ which I think are the M-tronics versions but could be Magnums used. These guys that work on them more would know which it is.
C1Q-S229 1141 120 0620
C1Q- 100362 1141 120 0630

BTW Stihl is changing how they are identifying the carbs since they took over Zama. The last one I got from the Stihl was laser etched with the engine series PN but the rest of the numbers didn't correlate to PN on the packaging.

Hi AVB,
Fascinating reply. Is it your understanding that these 4 standard carbs are interchangeable, i.e, the one colored in green would work in the earlier 261's and vice versa?

The standard (but from Stihl, I think) parts list/diagram I have shows only 0600, 0602, and the 0604 you don't find . The 0604 is C1Q-S180B.

Your Tech document from 2019 sounds pretty good. Are you a stihl Tech in order to get this cause I couldn't find? Would you say your document is real dependable? I.e, is it what a dealer would use to order a carb?

From your list it seems the C1Q-S252 maybe my best bet as I did see that on Ebay but only in a minor way. Don't see the others offered but I'm looking for only new condition OEM carbs and guess the others are more dated (except for the green)

There are numerous ads on Ebay selling C1Q-S246 and claiming good for 261,271,and 291. Wonder where these sellers get there info.

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You be surprise what you can find on the net. But Stihl likes to take down the info whenever they can I'll send you an link via a PM. I think you find it quite useful if you work on a lot Stihl equipment.

And to answer your question; No I am not a Stihl tech per say though I do work on a lot of the Stihl equipment.. With Stihl they are constantly changing carbs so I would think that even the one I highlighted may have been superseded by now.

As for eBay vendors I have little trust in them as I have got several that never even worked.

Woodlarc

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You be surprise what you can find on the net. But Stihl likes to take down the info whenever they can I'll send you an link via a PM. I think you find it quite useful if you work on a lot Stihl equipment.

And to answer your question; No I am not a Stihl tech per say though I do work on a lot of the Stihl equipment.. With Stihl they are constantly changing carbs so I would think that even the one I highlighted may have been superseded by now.

As for eBay vendors I have little trust in them as I have got several that never even worked.

Thank you so much AVB This is a HUGE help.

Can you please just clarify 2 things.

* This list of 4 carbs with different part #'s. Are they all the same carb and any one would work in any year ms261? If so why do they keep changing model #'s? if not the same then a stihl mechanic can only put in the exact same model # and if that's not available for some reason he's just out of luck?

* You're saying even if I buy off ebay a new unboxed carb that is stamped Zama and stamped with model # that this is risky? Is this because there are a lot of counterfeits? If so guess I'll need to find some official Stihl dealer that sells online if they exist since no local dealer.

My only experience is long ago rebuilding a couple carbs from kits bought on ebay or maybe Amazon.
No trouble there but maybe whole carbs are different or I was just lucky. I'll definitly bow to your advice and experience tho if this your message.

Cheers!

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That was the past where you were able to buy the Stihl Zama stuff from just about anyone that had access to Zama distribution network. You can still buy the carburetors and kits that are used on other OEM equipment just not the Stihl only items.

Stihl USA dealers are NOT allowed to sell online; just local sales and pickup. Stihl USA Policy. Plus Zama does NOT sell Stihl only Zama carburetors through it distributor network. Wish they did as I have a Zama factory just up the road from me. This policy makes very hard to get Zama parts and carburetors that are only fitted on Stihl products. So yes many of the carburetors are either factory rejects or counterfeits. Until last year I was able to get many of the RB kits though my distributor but I can not any longer. What worst is the local dealers don't stock them nor able to get them. Even when I provide them with Stihl part numbers for the repair kits, many times they can't order them and when they can they are 3-4X what I paid for the same kits through the distributor. Most times the whole carburetor is about as cheap as the repair kits. Since Stihl owns Zama now we have no option but to either buy from Stihl dealer or buy the after market (counterfeits) carbs and kits.

This is why I am no longer even attempting to stock anything Stihl related and when I run out items that I do have in stock I will not be restocking them. I still will work on the Stihl line but the customer will just have to pay whatever I markup the items to that I buy from Stihl now. Too bad as I have been repairing the Stihl line for over ten years, even repaired a few that the local dealer couldn't even figure what was wrong with them.

All four carburetors listed by Stihl for the MS261/ MS261 C-Q are compatible; although, they may use different repairs kits. Now a local dealer can look-up or call Stihl to find which is the current carburetor. I just had to do that a FS80 trimmer as the carburetor I was working on was needing a welch plug that is not available from Stihl even in the Stihl repair kit, the carburetor I was working on was no longer available so Stihl superseded it to a current model.

Woodlarc

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That was the past where you were able to buy the Stihl Zama stuff from just about anyone that had access to Zama distribution network. You can still buy the carburetors and kits that are used on other OEM equipment just not the Stihl only items.

Stihl USA dealers are NOT allowed to sell online; just local sales and pickup. Stihl USA Policy. Plus Zama does NOT sell Stihl only Zama carburetors through it distributor network. Wish they did as I have a Zama factory just up the road from me. This policy makes very hard to get Zama parts and carburetors that are only fitted on Stihl products. So yes many of the carburetors are either factory rejects or counterfeits. Until last year I was able to get many of the RB kits though my distributor but I can not any longer. What worst is the local dealers don't stock them nor able to get them. Even when I provide them with Stihl part numbers for the repair kits, many times they can't order them and when they can they are 3-4X what I paid for the same kits through the distributor. Most times the whole carburetor is about as cheap as the repair kits. Since Stihl owns Zama now we have no option but to either buy from Stihl dealer or buy the after market (counterfeits) carbs and kits.

This is why I am no longer even attempting to stock anything Stihl related and when I run out items that I do have in stock I will not be restocking them. I still will work on the Stihl line but the customer will just have to pay whatever I markup the items to that I buy from Stihl now. Too bad as I have been repairing the Stihl line for over ten years, even repaired a few that the local dealer couldn't even figure what was wrong with them.

All four carburetors listed by Stihl for the MS261/ MS261 C-Q are compatible; although, they may use different repairs kits. Now a local dealer can look-up or call Stihl to find which is the current carburetor. I just had to do that a FS80 trimmer as the carburetor I was working on was needing a welch plug that is not available from Stihl even in the Stihl repair kit, the carburetor I was working on was no longer available so Stihl superseded it to a current model.

WOW, just illuminating! Superb information that will benefit many.

So sad that Stihl bought Zama, furthering their journey to the dark side

So for living as long as possible without local dealer support are Echo and/or huskyvarna a better way to go? just generally for all parts.

And for carburetors specifically, just noticed they both use walbro carbs which may be better unless husky or Echo owns or will soon own walbro.

Actually, seems that Stihl 362 still uses a Walbro WTE-8. And only one carb listed!! So much simpler and friendly. Looking to buy a new saw by next fall and that might be a real plus to owning that saw. You think?

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you rule it out which carb you need for your MS 261? You didn`t answer my question.

The WTE-8 carb is long superseeded to a other one since 2013, WTE-18 for the US.

Last edited:

Woodlarc

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Did you rule it out which carb you need for your MS 261? You didn`t answer my question.

The WTE-8 carb is long superseeded to a other one since 2013, WTE-18 for the US.

Hi DND,

Saw is pretty beat up, only partly decipherable serial # and yeh, I know where it should be. It is the old heavier version before 2016 tho.

Yes, Have learned thanks to AvB that is a later WTE 18 for the ms 362 as you say. 1140-120-0604. Most recent is a WTE-22 1140-120-0610.

They all use the same RB kit. K10-wt8. actually works for all WTE carbs so different saws

Woodlarc

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Sorry AVB,

To correct my reply to this from yesterday. I stupidly initially jumped to my old IPL sheets which showed only one carb for 362 instead of checking the new Stihl carb reference chart. Errrr! have now thrown out those stupid IPL's.

There are 3 Walbro carbs for ms 362 as I spelled out in note to DND today. Still, they are still buyable and use same RB kit which also easy to buy so an improvement. For this reason think 362 is smarter choice then 261 even if don't need the extra power, if you're stuck on Stihl, which I'm not

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No problem we all are to learn and Stihl definitely keeps us on our toes.

Just a note if using the Walbro WTE carburetors then when installing the new metering lever, you need to use the new Walbro W-tool (500-528) to set it as it has a different height than the old WT carburetors.
images

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is one hack that I used until I got my new W and that was to use the metering diaphragm gasket as spacer for the old tool. Get you close but not prefect as the new W does.

Last edited:

telejed

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No problem we all are to learn and Stihl definitely keeps us on our toes.

Just a note if using the Walbro WTE carburetors then when installing the new metering lever, you need to use the new Walbro W-tool (500-528) to set it as it has a different height than the old WT carburetors.
images
Got a place to get one of those? Got a 362 that I need to get set right.