Connecting Rod Big End Bearing Replacement

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got a little charge in the camera so here goes .This is some of what I found from Consolidated Bearing which is only one of many bearing houses .They do have a web site also . I might add sizing is just like a seal ID-OD-width.

Attachments

• DSCN1318[1].JPG
    DSCN1318[1].JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 23

MSaw

Active OPE Member
Local time
12:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like what you've done there and am interested to see how it works out but... What you've basically done is a static balance rather than dynamic. I'm just not sure... 11000 rpm hmmm. Little story; Harley Davidson were pretty down on their knees in the '90's I believe. They employed a British engineer to come and tell them what was wrong with their engine production. In their factory he found a whole department tasked with knocking Harley crankshafts into shape with copper mallets. Not only that, the method of sandcasting they were using meant that when the castings were heated with oil present (like a running engine!) tiny particles of sand were released into the oil. True story.

scooterbum

OPE Member
Local time
7:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On my 72 shovel, I couldn't get the flywheel runout quite as good as I would have liked. The biggest concern is the runout at the outboard pinion shaft to cam cover bushing. Think about it!

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
6:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can machine a fixture to hold everything aligned when pressing them together and they wont need truing afterward.