davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
6:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
guy I know is looking to buy one to rent out. Dry Euc we have here is pretty hard.

Thanks

karrl

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have two Iron and Oak splitters and they have been workhorses. I’ve seen them and Brave(same company) at rental companies for a long time. They don’t make the log lift version anymore but the horizontal/vertical ones are beasts.

My 26ton has an 8hp motor with a 11gpm pump. Almost 20 years old and we only had to replace the Subaru motor 3 years ago. It’s slow but if he’s renting it out that’s a good thing, gives your inexperienced customer a little extra time to react.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 8

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
> looking to buy one to rent out

In the FWIW $0.02 category, avoid renting models where the hydraulic tank is the axle, they are easy enough to flip*, usually only rated to 45 MPH maximum if you are insane enough to tow it that fast, they usually come with cheap 4.8-8 tires on 1" axles that you will want to swap out to 4 lug hubs, and they are very easy to starve of hydraulic fluid on an angle or will spew the fluid out all over the ground through the vent/fill. Thereby starving the pump for fluid.

An example of a successful rental place, local to me:

* I flipped my own log 37 ton log splitter a few years ago, Honda engine, from Northern Tools going maybe 5-10 MPH around a corner. I was driving slow from a complete stop at a traffic light. Just rode over the smallest imperfection in the road that I did not see and flipped over the log splitter. Cost me a tire, Honda muffler screen, and Honda exhaust intake/muffler.

If that splitter is not mounted on a trailer, expect to pay a few times $$$ for when customers flip it and you have to go out and get it.