College football ball busting

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Idk about that Kevin. Maybe, but he was one of Bo’s kids in the late 80s. I’d suspect the soft ass University Prez first.

In my opinion here’s all these fat cats problem with Harbaugh:

"We're all robbing the same train," Harbaugh said, before telling his players they should try to form a union. "... Everybody is maximizing every single revenue source there is, but they're not sharing it with the talent. There's no business where that would ever fly."

He’s daring to mess with the money. Any time you do that the rats at the top gonna come after you.
What you quoted is part of it, Jim giving them the bird on alot of things & not giving 2 chits what they think adds in to it also and not to put to fine of point on it, Jim airing his personal, religious and/or political beliefs is a real burr in the arses of the universities president as well as others across the ncaa landscape.

Last edited:

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jim is supposed to coach football, win games which in turn is a cash cow for the university & the ncaa. He isn’t supposed to have an opinion let alone air it publicly. Shut up & drive the train, let the company count the $$$ & form the opinions.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
5:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
What you quoted is part of it, Jim giving them the bird on alot of things & not giving 2 chits what they think adds in to it also and not to put to fine of point on it, Jim airing his personal, religious and/or political beliefs is a real burr in the arses of the universities president as well as others across the ncaa landscape.

Jim is supposed to coach football, win games which in turn is a cash cow for the university & the ncaa. He isn’t supposed to have an opinion let alone air it publicly. Shut up & drive the train, let the company count the $$$ & form the opinions.
Pretty much exactly! It was meant to be a character assassination. The fact that it backfired spectacularly makes the Natty championship all the more sweet! All the fat cat cash counters want now is for the whole thing to quietly go away.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don’t know where you got that.
They won three games without a coach
You say everybody is doing it. Which means to me, that you think Michigan should too, or else...

That is my point. They are so good, they won without a coach, so why cheat. Now, I wonder if they won those games because they cheated.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can understand where you’re coming from here. But it’s a rule in name only. Did you know there is a law on the books in Pennsylvania that says you have to stop every ten miles and set off a signaling device and wait ten minutes for livestock to clear the road. What should we do with all the good people of Pennsylvania who ignore this rule every day?

I understand that for folks who didn’t play the game at the college level it can be hard to understand that knowing the other teams signs has been a part of the game for as long as there has been a game. It’s part of the gamesmanship of the game of Football. It isn’t like an exact science either. More like trying to read someone’s lips from across a football field. Any advantage you might gain is negligible and offset by the fact the other team knows your signs as well.

As a defense/offense you have literal seconds to diagnose what play is about to be run. Knowing the sign for that play is a very small fraction of that process. The players still have to execute on both sides of the ball for either to be successful.

To me, as someone who played the game at the college level, you might as well be arguing against bluffing in poker.

Yes this is a college ball busting thread and I don’t see anything wrong with what has been said. Bust away, but realize guys are going to swing back.🤷🏼‍♂️
I get stealing signs during an actual game, reading lips, and such; everybody tries to do that, and I agree, that is part of the game; and the gains are negligible. I do not believe everybody goes to the extent that Michigan did to learn the other teams signals; way more than reading lips and way more advantage, even if you only have a few seconds to adjust.

It is like baseball. Everybody tries to steal the signs during a game, it IS part of the game too; but having somebody in centerfield with a telescope, banging on trash cans, calling the dugout, and doing other crap like that,,,like the Astros, is way out of line imo.

Or driving; everybody drives 5-10 over the limit. It is still breaking the law, but when you are 50 over the limit, we have a serious problem.

As far as your PA people, I don't have an answer. It sounds like a ridiculous law, I am sure there are many more like it. It probably needs to be removed from the record. It sounds like sign stealing should not be against the rules in college football. May the best sign stealer win.

I agree, you still have to execute. I guess you don't feel like you would have had an advantage in college if you knew what the other team was going to do...oh, ok. You might as well be arguing against bluffing in poker.

If the tables were turned, and Ohio State beat Michigan because they knew the plays from an extensive sign stealing program, I can only imagine how this conversation would be going.

Anyhow, I am done. You guys get the last word if you want it. Congratulations Michigan and Michigan fans; you did it!!! I only wish you would have beat Georgia and Alabama in the playoffs

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I get stealing signs during an actual game, reading lips, and such; everybody tries to do that, and I agree, that is part of the game; and the gains are negligible. I do not believe everybody goes to the extent that Michigan did to learn the other teams signals; way more than reading lips and way more advantage, even if you only have a few seconds to adjust.

It is like baseball. Everybody tries to steal the signs during a game, it IS part of the game too; but having somebody in centerfield with a telescope, banging on trash cans, calling the dugout, and doing other crap like that,,,like the Astros, is way out of line imo.

Or driving; everybody drives 5-10 over the limit. It is still breaking the law, but when you are 50 over the limit, we have a serious problem.

As far as your PA people, I don't have an answer. It sounds like a ridiculous law, I am sure there are many more like it. It probably needs to be removed from the record. It sounds like sign stealing should not be against the rules in college football. May the best sign stealer win.

I agree, you still have to execute. I guess you don't feel like you would have had an advantage in college if you knew what the other team was going to do...oh, ok. You might as well be arguing against bluffing in poker.

If the tables were turned, and Ohio State beat Michigan because they knew the plays from an extensive sign stealing program, I can only imagine how this conversation would be going.

Anyhow, I am done. You guys get the last word if you want it. Congratulations Michigan and Michigan fans; you did it!!! I only wish you would have beat Georgia and Alabama in the playoffs
Do you think the coaches on the sideline knew what plays Alabama and Washington were going to run?

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Don’t go away angry. I’m genuinely enjoying the conversation about this. I’ve had a smile on my face the whole time. To your point about Ohio having our plays. There appears to be evidence that just that was happening. I don’t really care. I don’t believe it amounts to anything as far as a competitive advantage. And I’m not surprised in the least.

I played high school ball. Middle linebacker among other things to be more specific. I was responsible for diagnosing plays and setting coverages pre snap for the front 7. I also played D3 college ball for a brief time before I got too jaded with it being a big business instead of just a fun way to commit legally sanctioned assault and battery. I was pretty good at it, and if it had been fun I could have played all 5 years of my eligibility. Again I played middle linebacker, but they were prepping me to move to strong safety. I wasn’t quite big enough to play their style of middle linebacker. Still read and set the correct coverages just for DBs instead of the front 7.

At both levels the schools actually shared game video of their plays with each other. It was a given that they had your signs or knew most of your plays. Like you alluded there is the letter of the law and then there is the unwritten law every one follows as a cultural norm. It really amounted to nothing as far as a competitive advantage. The kids/coaches still have to execute. There is so little time for it to make a difference pre snap. It’s hard to explain just how fast stuff happens. You literally have a split second to read and react.

Did someone on the U of M staff take it too far? Someone felt he did and he was punished. Did it give them a competitive advantage? There’s no proof of that. From the perspective of a former player I highly doubt that it could have. Does it make the whole team cheaters? Does it wipe out the hundreds of hours of blood sweat and tears the players and coaches sacrificed? No I don’t believe it does.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don’t go away angry. I’m genuinely enjoying the conversation about this. I’ve had a smile on my face the whole time. To your point about Ohio having our plays. There appears to be evidence that just that was happening. I don’t really care. I don’t believe it amounts to anything as far as a competitive advantage. And I’m not surprised in the least.

I played high school ball. Middle linebacker among other things to be more specific. I was responsible for diagnosing plays and setting coverages pre snap for the front 7. I also played D3 college ball for a brief time before I got too jaded with it being a big business instead of just a fun way to commit legally sanctioned assault and battery. I was pretty good at it, and if it had been fun I could have played all 5 years of my eligibility. Again I played middle linebacker, but they were prepping me to move to strong safety. I wasn’t quite big enough to play their style of middle linebacker. Still read and set the correct coverages just for DBs instead of the front 7.

At both levels the schools actually shared game video of their plays with each other. It was a given that they had your signs or knew most of your plays. Like you alluded there is the letter of the law and then there is the unwritten law every one follows as a cultural norm. It really amounted to nothing as far as a competitive advantage. The kids/coaches still have to execute. There is so little time for it to make a difference pre snap. It’s hard to explain just how fast stuff happens. You literally have a split second to read and react.

Did someone on the U of M staff take it too far? Someone felt he did and he was punished. Did it give them a competitive advantage? There’s no proof of that. From the perspective of a former player I highly doubt that it could have. Does it make the whole team cheaters? Does it wipe out the hundreds of hours of blood sweat and tears the players and coaches sacrificed? No I don’t believe it does.
So you are saying, missing a block, stripping the ball, slipping a tackle, blocking a pass on the field has an effect on game’s outcome? Does execution have anything to do with player performance and game’s scoring?

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So you are saying, missing a block, stripping the ball, slipping a tackle, blocking a pass on the field has an effect on game’s outcome? Does execution have anything to do with player performance and game’s scoring?
That’s why they play the games versus a bunch of grumpy old men arguing about who’s better on paper. 😉

pastryguyhawaii

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Michigan beat Washington who beat Texas who beat Alabama who beat Georgia. They had a very good offense but it’s the defense that won it for them.
For those who don’t know, I grew up in Michigan & they have always been my team. It was nice to see them win, it’s been awhile.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I'm not mad. I've been smiling too. I knew what would happen when I made my first post. Just done with this conversation. I said I would give you the last word, I plan to keep my word.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you think the coaches on the sideline knew what plays Alabama and Washington were going to run?
Good question. What do I think? I lean towards yes, at least some of the time. In reality, I have no idea, but the trust is broken imo. It is like the boy that cried wolf; he is lying until he is not, but nobody knows the difference. Or, bluffing in poker, right @Woodpecker :) ?