High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

Cold Weather Cutting

jimmorrison

Riding on the storm
Local time
3:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I can see those working well, nice heavy gauge steel.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 7900 fired on the first pull yesterday morning at 18 degrees or so. I was very impressed. That's a lot warmer than -15 though. Stuff does start to misbehave once you get below zero.

old guy

Love me some Husqvarna
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back in 1976 I pulled into my huntin grounds at midnight for the last weekend of the Wisc. deer season. This was 30 miles south of Superior in the Beldon swamps,Lord it was cold. I had a folding cot under the topper in the back of the 74 International, I crawled into my two down sleeping bags and went to sleep.
Woke next morning, now it was really cold, got up, tryed to start the truck, nope. So I started a fire alongside the truck, by the time it was lit my fingers would hardly hold a match anymore.
I got warmed up & opened a can of Dinty Moores which was solid ice & made coffee. After breakfast I shoveled coales under the truck engine till it warmed up to start. I turned the radio on, it was 33 below 0 in Duluth, I took off up the Spruce river lookin fer some deer.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
4:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not my saw but the aircompressor in tje shed wont c9me on unless i take the heat gun to the cylider. The electric motor would try then throw the breaker.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Didn't happen for me today.

It was -18* F or -28*C (cool enough Brewz?), but I have been cutting at much cooler temps, so I didn't do any prep on the saws besides filling the tanks.

The 3120 simply would not start. This has always been a cold blooded beast, but dang! I pulled it over about 10 times, then dribbled some gas into the carb, added the choke and....POP! AAArrrgggg!!! It pulled the recoil right through my fingers. Damn that hurts when it is cold. So I pull it over slowly again a few times, then...yup. Just about killed me. I did this about 15 times (I really wanted to use this saw), before I decided it wasn't going to work and my hand was suffering too much.

So I break out one of my 394's that has never failed to start. I tried to pull the recoil, it felt like I was pulling a bucket of mud out of the ground. Sssssllllllooooowwwwwwlllllyyyy pulled over. When I let go of the recoil rope, it just flopped over. I looked at my BIL, he just smiled.

Dang. This sucks. Machines warming up in the shop now. I'll take the recoil off the 394 and clean it real nice, warm up the saw well, then take it outside and let it run for a little to stabilize. Then I'll tune it for the temp.

I don't know about the 3120. Maybe it was just due to the low temps. I will see how it is after she warms up. Once started I'll tune same as the 394. Interestingly, I have never had a problem starting the 3120 in temps down to around 0* F. Maybe -18* just too much?

What causes this? Oil thickening? Cylinder contracting? Combination of both? Something else?

I have an 044 that rips my fingers off when cold. I hold the decomp down with my thumb to get it started.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I take it everyone re-tunes their saws in cold weather. Seemed to me that cold dense air caused saws to run lean. Have cut many times in sub-zero weather and snow. Waterproof gloves are a must. That being said, I put up enough wood for several winters and no longer want to cut in cold weather.

Ronaldo

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What causes this? Oil thickening? Cylinder contracting? Combination of both? Something else?

I have an 044 that rips my fingers off when cold. I hold the decomp down with my thumb to get it started.
I wonder about this too. I understand a wet sump engine or even a dry sump that has cold oil to circulate.

Sent from my Z832 using Tapatalk

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I recall old fellers telling me stories of how they would build a fire under cars , tractors and the like to get them to start in cold temps , wonder if that works with saws too ?

My old grandpa rest his soul used to start a fire under the fuel tank of his coal wagon on cold winter mornings before going to hand load 5 tonnes of coal and deliver it around town

redoakneck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I guess I am just a wimp!!! 25 below, I'm burning the wood I cut in the spring/summer/fall.

Simple tasks are so much more difficult in that extreme cold.

You guys are tough!!!

Ronaldo

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess I am just a wimp!!! 25 below, I'm burning the wood I cut in the spring/summer/fall.

Simple tasks are so much more difficult in that extreme cold.

You guys are tough!!!
Sometimes I just gotta get out and do something....... And gathering firewood generally keeps me warm.

Sent from my Z832 using Tapatalk

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Working in the cold usually doesn't bother me. Something simple like splitting or stacking wood is great, even down to -10. It's when stuff doesn't go as planned that it quickly becomes unpleasant. At those temps you really don't want to take your gloves off to mess with wrenches, wires, anything requiring fine motor skills. Like old guy mentioned, much below zero and you have a very limited amount of time to use your fingers.

Here's a good tip in case someone doesn't already know this: if you ever have to take your gloves off in that kind of weather, even just to take a leak, unzip your coat and put one glove under each armpit. Taking off your gloves makes your fingers cold. It also makes your gloves cold. If you can keep them warm while you do what needs to be done, then when you put them back on you're much better off.

Chainsaw Addict

GO HOOSIERS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't get to excited [emoji13]

45 Years Ago Emergency! Debuts On NBC

On January 15th, 1972 Emergency debuted. The series stars Randolph Mantooth and Kevin Tighe as two specially trained firefighters, who formed Squad 51, part of the then innovative field of paramedics, who were authorized to provide initial emergency medical care to victims of accidents, fires, and other incidents in the field in order to stabilize them for transport to medical facilities. The plot of the initial pilot film described the passing of state legislation, eventually signed by then State Governor Ronald Reagan, and was called “The Wedsworth-Townsend Act.”[1] It authorized paramedic units to operate in the field without conventional medical personnel on site, albeit in radio contact with an assigned hospital. Squad 51 worked in concert with the fictional Rampart General Hospital medical staff (portrayed by Robert Fuller, Julie London, and Bobby Troup), which took over each patient's case from the paramedics who worked in the field.

While we may poke fun at the antics of “Gage and Desoto” this TV show set the foundation for a fire based approach to providing paramedic care and ultimately increase service to the taxpayer. Randy Mantooth (firefighter/paramedic John Gage) went on to become an advocate for firefighters and paramedics after the series ended. He continued, as of late October 2014, to give speeches and make appearances all over the country at special events. There are many other positive factors that have put the fire service where it is today when it comes to providing advanced life support as well as many additional specialties including Hazardous Materials response and recognition, Aircraft Crash Rescue Firefighting, Wildland Firefighting, Air Rescue and Urban Search and Rescue just to name a few. Today #Local935 honors “Gage and Desoto” for their contribution to the safety of the #Communties we now serve.
e0c52094fadf42cf58e8999a45528fc7.jpg
I grew up on it. Never missed. KMG 365

It was -18* F or -28*C (cool enough Brewz?), but I have been cutting at much cooler temps, so I didn't do any prep on the saws besides filling the tanks.

The 3120 simply would not start. This has always been a cold blooded beast, but dang! I pulled it over about 10 times, then dribbled some gas into the carb, added the choke and....POP! AAArrrgggg!!! It pulled the recoil right through my fingers. Damn that hurts when it is cold. So I pull it over slowly again a few times, then...yup. Just about killed me. I did this about 15 times (I really wanted to use this saw), before I decided it wasn't going to work and my hand was suffering too much.

So I break out one of my 394's that has never failed to start. I tried to pull the recoil, it felt like I was pulling a bucket of mud out of the ground. Sssssllllllooooowwwwwwlllllyyyy pulled over. When I let go of the recoil rope, it just flopped over. I looked at my BIL, he just smiled.

Dang. This sucks. Machines warming up in the shop now. I'll take the recoil off the 394 and clean it real nice, warm up the saw well, then take it outside and let it run for a little to stabilize. Then I'll tune it for the temp.

I don't know about the 3120. Maybe it was just due to the low temps. I will see how it is after she warms up. Once started I'll tune same as the 394. Interestingly, I have never had a problem starting the 3120 in temps down to around 0* F. Maybe -18* just too much?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Chainsaw Addict

GO HOOSIERS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Maybe plug it in like diesels

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

StandInTheFire

Sheriff of Mad Woman Gulch
Local time
2:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
ummm....you could say my truck is a huge POS. It has a 300 6 cyl in it to boot, so it may run forever. Someone's just gonna have to put her down one of these days.