Cold Weather Cutting

Nitroman

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Didn't happen for me today.

It was -18* F or -28*C (cool enough Brewz?), but I have been cutting at much cooler temps, so I didn't do any prep on the saws besides filling the tanks.

The 3120 simply would not start. This has always been a cold blooded beast, but dang! I pulled it over about 10 times, then dribbled some gas into the carb, added the choke and....POP! AAArrrgggg!!! It pulled the recoil right through my fingers. Damn that hurts when it is cold. So I pull it over slowly again a few times, then...yup. Just about killed me. I did this about 15 times (I really wanted to use this saw), before I decided it wasn't going to work and my hand was suffering too much.

So I break out one of my 394's that has never failed to start. I tried to pull the recoil, it felt like I was pulling a bucket of mud out of the ground. Sssssllllllooooowwwwwwlllllyyyy pulled over. When I let go of the recoil rope, it just flopped over. I looked at my BIL, he just smiled.

Dang. This sucks. Machines warming up in the shop now. I'll take the recoil off the 394 and clean it real nice, warm up the saw well, then take it outside and let it run for a little to stabilize. Then I'll tune it for the temp.

I don't know about the 3120. Maybe it was just due to the low temps. I will see how it is after she warms up. Once started I'll tune same as the 394. Interestingly, I have never had a problem starting the 3120 in temps down to around 0* F. Maybe -18* just too much?

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
11:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 281 refuses to start and usually stifles my arm if I attempt a cold weather start. Have found that in my snowmobiles going to a full synthetic oil allows them to be pulled over much easier in the cold sub zero weather. Would think it would help saws too, have not really tested it out yet, I just bring 'em in the shop and warm 'em up first, too hard on my poor old arm. LOL

Ronaldo

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They all pull over harder in that kind of weather(temp), even the smaller saws. Keeping them in the truck cab can help to keep em warmer.

Sent from my Z832 using Tapatalk

Nitehawk55

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I recall old fellers telling me stories of how they would build a fire under cars , tractors and the like to get them to start in cold temps , wonder if that works with saws too ?

Blackgreyhounds

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hear you. My absolutely reliable MS361 is giving me grief at +10-15F. Seems to need a little more fuel in the carb to get going, i.e. a couple of pulls on full choke after the first "pop." I'm no pro and certainly we never get below 0 F here.

skidooguy

Genuine smartass
Local time
10:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I build fires under equipment quite often. It was -20 here today. My Stihl 461 didn't hardly hesitate at all to start this evening. The synthetic oils do seem to flow a lot better in cold environments.

skidooguy

Genuine smartass
Local time
10:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I'll take some pics of my burner box tomorrow and share. Pretty simple but is very handy this time of year to get equipment going and requires no electricity.

jimmorrison

Riding on the storm
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If you have any of those metal, five gallon grease pails, they work great. Barbecue charcoal puts out some nice steady heat.