Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
9:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lacquer thinner works really fast, like instant, is also hard on bar graphics and paint, use on old work saws. Orange cleaner while not as fast and requires a bit more labor, is just as effective and easy on the painted surfaces, good for the "nice" saws.

A100HVA

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
has any body tried cleaning a saw that is together and running and hot with just compressed air??...i've been doing it on a lot of my customers saws,and they are a lot cleaner. i got 2 guy's that cut nothing but white pine,spruce,fir,hemlock and this same method don't do much for the jug. what can i spray on and just blow off with compressed air that does not hurt plastic's or rubbers. i'd be willing to rinse off with water in spray bottle also if needed
thanks

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I have a saw that's real bad I'll spray it with Super Clean and let it sit for a few minutes. Then hose off with a garden hose and finish up with compressed air.

The super clean will leave a white film on the painted surfaces sometimes but a little car polish will clean it off if you care that much.

Jon1212

Birch! Please.....
Local time
8:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Citrus Oil based cleaners such a Oil Eater from TSC are what I use on covers, and cases. If the pitch is on the handles I'll wrap a shop towel around the handle, and soak with cleaner. It won't harm the paint, and when done, the saw smells like an Orange Grove....

A100HVA

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
thanks for the quick reply's fellas!...i'll be prepared to clean'em when they bring them in again.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
9:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
gasoline works too but it can become smelly.

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just today I was cutting some Loblolly pine and got some pitch on my arm. It kept sticking my arm to my shirt and pants. Was frustrating. Guess it eventually wore off. I rarely worry about pitch on a chainsaw bar but it can be troublesome on a hand saw or manual pole saw blade. I usually just use a bit of mix gas (what I have handy) to remove it.