Chain tension.

magicrat

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok I’m a newb. I got my first chainsaw which was a 30cc 4 years ago for cleaning up the yard. Now a got a “real” chainsaw 50cc echo and I’m more concerned about safety. I see people around me with their chains hanging off the bar like they are about to fall off. Is this safe. I keep my chain just touching the bar and when slack develops I make it just touch the bar on the bottom again. Seems like the people around me don’t care their chain is about to fall off. And they have years more experience than I do. So please inform me. Thank u

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
10:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tighten chain so that it touches the bottom of the bar. When you pull down on it, it should slightly snap back up and touch bar again. Only about 3/4 of the drive link should be able to be pulled down out of the groove in bar. Too loose is no good, too tight is no good. Find the happy medium and you'll be good! Wear chaps too when cutting. Eye, ear, and head protection too.

magicrat

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
  • http://www.madsens1.com/bnc_bar_maint.htm

There is a good site for some basics. ^^^
    I wouldn't call it dangerous, but more prone to throw/derail a chain, yes. Which in itself can be dangerous. Shouldn't be able to pull up on the chain mid bar and fully expose the drive links that are in the groove.
    Thank u, yea the tops of the drive links are not even touching the bar the way I see some people run their saw. I guess I have been doing it right. Crazy nobody cares.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
10:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

• Thank u, yea the tops of the drive links are not even touching the bar the way I see some people run their saw. I guess I have been doing it right. Crazy nobody cares.

I probably run mine tighter than recommended but alot of storm damage trees like to twist and pinch. I do check that the chain and sprocket rotate freely.
Alot of bad behavior/habits of saw use could be learned generations ago, back in the day there were alot more hard nose bars around and you generally have to leave alittle slack in the chain to run them. If the guys you cut with grew up running them or watched their fathers run them that could be the issue?

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
7:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I probably run mine tighter than recommended but alot of storm damage trees like to twist and pinch. I do check that the chain and sprocket rotate freely.
Alot of bad behavior/habits of saw use could be learned generations ago, back in the day there were alot more hard nose bars around and you generally have to leave alittle slack in the chain to run them. If the guys you cut with grew up running them or watched their fathers run them that could be the issue?

not too tight, now…this was the hottest part of the bar until I loosened it.E4B3D95A-9E53-45CC-9640-3EE7658EA71D.jpeg