CAD Progression

Whiskers

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
12 years ago I had never ran a chainsaw. Needed one for around the house so I bought a blown up 026 pro and rebuilt it. Then cad hit and acquired a lot of saws and fixed them for fun. Selling some and keeping others. Needless to say, I'm well stocked on chainsaws to this day. I own 7 acres with groves of mature trees and they come in handy. Whip out the 084 and buck some big logs, no big deal. I haven't seriously wrenched on saws in a few years, and haven't acquired one in a couple years. I knew things were different yesterday when a builder 044 popped up 45 minutes from me for $25. I messaged the guy and told him if he was coming my way, I'd buy it, he replied, I was first in. checked back a bit later and it was gone. 10 years ago, I would have dropped everything and drove as fast as I could to get there. I may even part with a bunch of my parts saws to clear some space!

Gaston

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep, me too. Sounds just like my story. I have been trying to sell off saw and parts. I will be keeping more saws than any “normal” person will own in their life time, probably three times that many. I still enjoy working on them for friends and family. I get enjoyment helping other forum members who need parts. I just sell them for what I think I have into them and hope they can use it more than my storage shelf.

Gullet

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Evidently Denial isn't just a river in Egypt. Lol
There is no cure for CAD.
Progression is a good thing tho.

My progression has been to get some cheaper saws I'm happy with to keep the miles off the saws I LOVE!

Other than that, I'm always on the hunt.

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
12 years ago I had never ran a chainsaw. Needed one for around the house so I bought a blown up 026 pro and rebuilt it. Then cad hit and acquired a lot of saws and fixed them for fun. Selling some and keeping others. Needless to say, I'm well stocked on chainsaws to this day. I own 7 acres with groves of mature trees and they come in handy. Whip out the 084 and buck some big logs, no big deal. I haven't seriously wrenched on saws in a few years, and haven't acquired one in a couple years. I knew things were different yesterday when a builder 044 popped up 45 minutes from me for $25. I messaged the guy and told him if he was coming my way, I'd buy it, he replied, I was first in. checked back a bit later and it was gone. 10 years ago, I would have dropped everything and drove as fast as I could to get there. I may even part with a bunch of my parts saws to clear some space!
Still have that jonsered 670 champ?

Whiskers

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nope, gave it to my father in law to run along the husky 288 I found him. It sure was a good runner though, all my bars are stihl mount though, so it didn’t really fit the stable

hardhat

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My wife was trying to tell me what was wrong with me. She started talking about chainsaw acquisition disorder or something like that. I couldn't hear her too good. My 394xp was sitting there idling and I was piss revving my poulan 5200. Maybe this is what she was referring too;)

Last edited:

Whiskers

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don’t get me wrong, I’ve got an 084, 064 x 2 ms460, ms361 x 2, 194t, pole saw and a LOT of project saws.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My trouble is that I always feel I need a backup to any saw that I buy, either for parts or if the go-to saw has problems and/or needs parts. The problem is the go-to saw never seems to have trouble and I now have twice as many saws than I really need. :rolleyes:

hardhat

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My trouble is that I always feel I need a backup to any saw that I buy, either for parts or if the go-to saw has problems and/or needs parts. The problem is the go-to saw never seems to have trouble and I now have twice as many saws than I really need. :rolleyes:

I feel you. I have a 28y old 394xp that I'm milling with. Just had to replace a fuel line. Got a brand new 395xp and 592xp that have never been gassed. Thinking of retiring the 394xp (runs fine but only 150psi compression) and putting 395xp on the mill. 592xp will be for felling, bucking big trees. If I do this, thought crossed my mind to get another 395xp as backup milling saw, but that is just plain ridiculous.

Gullet

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s something I’ll never understand. It’s like not banging your wife or girlfriend to keep her fresh for the next guy.

Great analogy. LOL!
I have some cheaper saws that do very well (not giant killers, but do very well for their price).
And some rarish saws worth some coin.
I prefer my better saws & will break them out if I have too (I use all my saws).
Problem is, I dont have to use them often as my cheaper vintage saws do very well.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I feel you. I have a 28y old 394xp that I'm milling with. Just had to replace a fuel line. Got a brand new 395xp and 592xp that have never been gassed. Thinking of retiring the 394xp (runs fine but only 150psi compression) and putting 395xp on the mill. 592xp will be for felling, bucking big trees. If I do this, thought crossed my mind to get another 395xp as backup milling saw, but that is just plain ridiculous.
Sounds like new rings would cure that. 28years, it's just might last another 28.