HELP! Bore cutting with longer bars

Kerfed

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bore cut this 17" DBH dead Ash with the 28" bar for practice. Way too much kickback getting the plunge started. I definitely think it's the chain, and not just the extra chain speed from the longer bar. It's really grabby. It's a new bar and chain, so I'll keep at it and see if it settles down with some more use.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions!

View attachment 372864

View attachment 372865
I always use a straight handled axe when bore cutting, makes all the difference… Sounds like the chain is too aggressive and hopefully you have an easier time next sharpen or as it dulls a bit. We run full skip on bars over 20” and having rakers too low or angle too steep sure hones technique as the chain is unforgiving. Watch your body position and keep a full thumb wrap too.

Timjus

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
keep your chain tight and use progressive raker gauge
i do boring with 28" stumura with c85 chain and its very smooth. new or filed with roller file guide+prog. raker gauge

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have noticed the same thing with any lightweight bar. My 28” Stihl light on a 462 or 500i kicks back pretty bad if you don’t just let it eat after you get it started.

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Use the same angle of approach but stay at that angle longer and make sure your chain is sharp. I had a giant maple that was 8 foot at the base with all of the burl buttresses. That required a dozen or more (too tired to count) plunge cuts in order to save as much of that nice wood as possible. That was like 10 years ago using a Mac 125 with 50" bar. It was a hot day and the folks i did it for really felt sorry for me, though it was fun.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
10:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Australian feller said to try pushing to side…? Ain’t tried it yet.
Tried it. Works well. Twisting as well. Works like a friction shock. @Loony661 also taught me to just push harder, and put your legs/body behind the saw to dampen the kick. I haven't had trouble boring with a ported 2188 36" LW in dead oak round oregon full chis full skip.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
12:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tried it. Works well. Twisting as well. Works like a friction shock. @Loony661 also taught me to just push harder, and put your legs/body behind the saw to dampen the kick. I haven't had trouble boring with a ported 2188 36" LW in dead oak round oregon full chis full skip.
A logger who I know that’s been in the woods over 40 years taught me that - when I was “green” I used to try and let the saw do the work, but that doesn’t work well when boring. You gotta put your body into it a bit and let the chain eat, otherwise it’ll just try to nibble and buck on you every time.