black bear hunting

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
6:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wanted to kill a couple causing a mess of the garbage this last June. Think the neighbors did. They usually get them coming in to wack them out of season. Along with every other fugging thing that comes around. Regular thing been happening for years here.

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wanted to kill a couple causing a mess of the garbage this last June. Think the neighbors did. They usually get them coming in to wack them out of season. Along with every other fugging thing that comes around. Regular thing been happening for years here.
Sounds like they need business cards for guide service. @ramrat Lee I think you have your guy!

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have had them on front porch, they seem to love bird feeders. Neighbor lady went out with a broom to chase one away, I advise not doing that.
Mother-in-law was sitting at kitchen table and said "look at those big black dogs", replied, we call them a female bear with two cubs here. They where tearing into a rotting tree stump.

blackbruin

Heeeeeeere's Johnny!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah we have alot of black bears here in PA. Last year we got 2 at camp. We usually get one a year or more at cabin.
I personally have taken 2.
Bear roast is better than roast beef.
I'll post a story on bear camp later when I have more time....

blackbruin

Heeeeeeere's Johnny!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A huge mistake people make and gives bear meat a bad rap is that they don't get it checked and get the hide off right away and cool the meat. It can be 20 outside and they will leave the damn thing in the back of a pickup all night.
It's wearing a fur coat and has lots of fat.
It will rot from the inside out. Or they drive around all day going from bar to bar in 60 degree weather and than say bear meat is nasty. Well yeah when you promote terrible meat care!
Yes a dog bear long and skinny tends to be a little less tasty than a hog bear.

My favorite recipe is simple.
Cut two peeled onions in half or more depending on how much meat and put in in bottom of roaster or crackpot.
Salt and pepper a nice bear roast. Sear it on a cast iron pan with oil and stick on top of the onions. Use beef bouillon or beef stock or base etc. And put some liquid in there. Than I take a can or more of cream of mushroom soup. I cover the roast. A couple cloves of garlic smashed. And stick that sucker all day at 200. Let it bubble from 5am to 5pm. Don't touch it let it go.
Mash some taters/mix flour pepper and water in a gravy shaker and make some good gravy out of the liquid. Add whatever veggies you want.
Great meal...

ramrat

Circle T Outdoor Services
Local time
5:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I really want to go. My might head up to northern mn next year a help the guy up by our camp bait next year.

Gullet

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A huge mistake people make and gives bear meat a bad rap is that they don't get it checked and get the hide off right away and cool the meat. It can be 20 outside and they will leave the damn thing in the back of a pickup all night.
It's wearing a fur coat and has lots of fat.
It will rot from the inside out. Or they drive around all day going from bar to bar in 60 degree weather and than say bear meat is nasty. Well yeah when you promote terrible meat care!
Yes a dog bear long and skinny tends to be a little less tasty than a hog bear.

My favorite recipe is simple.
Cut two peeled onions in half or more depending on how much meat and put in in bottom of roaster or crackpot.
Salt and pepper a nice bear roast. Sear it on a cast iron pan with oil and stick on top of the onions. Use beef bouillon or beef stock or base etc. And put some liquid in there. Than I take a can or more of cream of mushroom soup. I cover the roast. A couple cloves of garlic smashed. And stick that sucker all day at 200. Let it bubble from 5am to 5pm. Don't touch it let it go.
Mash some taters/mix flour pepper and water in a gravy shaker and make some good gravy out of the liquid. Add whatever veggies you want.
Great meal...

I have always just stuck a bag of Ice or two in the cavity as soon as possible (even with Whitetail), it does make a difference cooling from the inside & buys time.

I'm weird I guess, cause I've killed 3 wild hogs & dont like full cuts of meats off those either (gave the last 2 away).
I do like em made into all sausage tho!