High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Best burning firewood

OC455

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Central NY, ash for sure. Pretty much cut it and burn it up here. Cherry is good to go to burn too. Doesn't take long for it to season, so that would be my two first go to wood. Maple if it's seasoned, and oak seasoned if you can find it.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
4:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Osage Orange, everything else follows: Oak(s), Honey Locust, Mulberry, Ash, Hackleberry, Silver Maple, Bradford Pear, Red Elm, Siberian Elm, Cedar and Pine. Most else I leave alone, unless I'm clearing for someone, then I take what I want and it goes to my stove, as much of that list doesn't get sold, due t customers that either actually know what they want, OR, customers who've been conditioned to "know" that Oak is the only option.

ElevatorGuy

It’s up and down ;)
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I prefer red/white oak but any hardwood burns well when seasoned. Best for the fire pit? Poplar or pine, I wouldn’t waste my oak outside. I’ve been burning the last bit of my sweet gum recently and have a few more days worth. The rest of this winter will be oak unless it gets cold enough for locust. Next years supply has some silver maple, Beech, oak and hickory in it all separated.

PJLink

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For me white/red oak is most prevalent - once dry/seasoned its perfect for my needs, takes a while though, man that stuff likes to hold water. Ash is great when i can find it and its viable. Tons of poplar around but that mainly stays as bur barrel/firepit wood, along with maple. Buddy of mind has a ton of big black locust trees on his property - he burns for heat, we've already been talking about those trees, my estimate is around 25-30 cord for all of them - can any of you guys tell me your experiences with black locust? Good/bad or indifferent, dry times etc???

ElevatorGuy

It’s up and down ;)
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
can any of you guys tell me your experiences with black locust? Good/bad or indifferent, dry times etc???

Burns like coal, Don’t load the stove with it! Locust will burn green but it’s best to let sit 2 years. I have some that’s almost 3 years old waiting for the really cold weather.

Last edited:

wap13

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I pretty much only burn black walnut anymore

morewood

Mr. Awesome
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Buddy of mind has a ton of big black locust trees on his property - he burns for heat, we've already been talking about those trees, my estimate is around 25-30 cord for all of them - can any of you guys tell me your experiences with black locust? Good/bad or indifferent, dry times etc???

Around here most locust is standing dead and very dry. Even those that have fallen and are pretty much off the ground season easily. I have an outside boiler, eats locust easily. Personally, I've never had an issue with the heavy loading of locust in any stove I've had. Common sense solves alot of those issues.

Mr Awesome

Ontario Firewood Resource

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Round here, osage orange for sure. Just have to make sure you don't give a bunch to someone who doesn't know any better and is going to pack their firebox full and burn the house down. Beyond that, black locust, shagbark hickory would be my next favorite two.
We've got all what Scott Overkill listed here in Ontario. Not much shagbark or bitternut hickory, but ironwood is our best. Those are rare too, Haven't seen good numbers in or out of the city.

I burn cherry and birch together for the best aroma. I make jenga towers and light from the top

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here in N. Georgia White Oak is favored. Red oak, hickory and where I live a tree we call Chestnut Oak.
It’s leaves look like chestnut and it has thick rough bark. Doesn’t smell as bad as Red oak.