Ariens rider that cuts out

KSWR

Active OPE Member
Local time
2:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a rider that dies when trying to move,yes the parking brake is released and mower disengaged,sat for a month or so now this happened, any ideas?Runs fine otherwise,seat sw shorted?It is a rear engine, not a zero turn approx 10 yrs old.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
3:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Take the switch out of the equation. Make a jumper wire for the switch wiring harness to rule out the seat operator presence switch...I've jumper-wired all seat operator switches immediately on every riding mower I've ever had that came with one.

Last edited:

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What engine is on it? Disconnect the kill switch, and see if it is wiring related.
If it is still cutting out when trying to move, then drain the layer of water out of your carb.
Put up your engine's model numbers for better advice.

KSWR

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's at our place up north, I won't be there to get the numbers for awhile,it runs fine until trying to move it. without trying to move it it will run, I will bypass the kill sw and see what happens and get the numbers next time I'm there.

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Does it just die when letting up on the clutch, or start stumbling and dying when it actually starts to move?
My gut is telling me that the carb is half full of water, it sits at the bottom of the bowl, and will run fine until the unit is jiggled, then the water is slurped up into the running engine. But not being there, it is hard to say, so all/any details that you provide are needed.

backhoelover

SERVICE MANUAL MASTER
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some model you have to jump seat switch for pto to work like usmc stated or mover will die when you let off clutch brake etc

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How old is the gas in the tank?

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Equipment would nice so we lookup the wiring diagram. Just jumping switched at random just don't work at the time. Some are meant to open during operation and other are closed. Many seat switch connectors have shorting strips to prevent operators from simply unplugging them.

As others say to eliminate a wiring problem disconnect the kill circuit at the engine; although, if the anti after solenoid is shutting down then the kill circuit disconnection will not prevent this.

KSWR

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jumping the seat switch worked,it runs fine now, I did try but could not find engine numbers for future use, I did find numbers on the chassis but none on the engine,thanks for the help

ANewSawyer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If it is a briggs and stratton, the model is stamped on the valve cover, usually.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jumping the seat switch worked,it runs fine now, I did try but could not find engine numbers for future use, I did find numbers on the chassis but none on the engine,thanks for the help
Good deal!