Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
1:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does the Wilton have a harden steel plate on it? Looks like it probably does in the pic. Most of the other vices are cast. I had a small 75# cast anvil before I found a good one. I broke the horn on it. Cast just don’t hold up.
I believe that it’s all cast, as there is no way to replace it and it looks like it was surface ground

longleaf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Oh ok if it has machine marks that’s probably right. Even so not all casts are equal. The Wilton’s must have better casting materials. I know there are some cast steel anvils that are much tougher than the cast iron ones just not quite as tough as forged.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not certain what the Wiltons are made of but it's as hard as nodular iron .I have one that looks like it spent 6 months on the bottom of great salt lake . I tried periodically to cut the outside loose with a die grinder at work over a three year period .Never got it off . I have one the inside got broken that I welded and would like to use this one to replace it .I might have to arc gouge it off .
The only way I could figure anybody could have broken a Wilton had to be a giant with a very large sledge hammer .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is the style of Wilton I was talking about .The round tube the movable jaw is the one I said was broken
3490_4_700x700.jpg

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A long time ago I worked a steel mill shut down in Mansfield Ohio at the steel mill .Our job was to install about 600 feet of DC hot rail in the "soaking pit " area .The rail was 40 pound to the yard crane rail and I was the welder . In between doing the welding I had a lot of idle time and found in one of the charging pits where they stored scrap about 100 tons of rail in about 18" lengths . I must have cut out 12-15 anvils out of that stuff .It was heavy stuff maybe 140-160 pounds per yard .I was a lot younger and stronger in 1977 .I made one for me and one for my dad .
I made one for the job superintendent out of 8 " stuff that big old torch would burn clean through top to bottom .Biggest torch I ever used in my life .
Never did finish the horns like in above posts .I might or might not at some time .

Junior Samples

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
A long time ago I worked a steel mill shut down in Mansfield Ohio at the steel mill .Our job was to install about 600 feet of DC hot rail in the "soaking pit " area .The rail was 40 pound to the yard crane rail and I was the welder . In between doing the welding I had a lot of idle time and found in one of the charging pits where they stored scrap about 100 tons of rail in about 18" lengths . I must have cut out 12-15 anvils out of that stuff .It was heavy stuff maybe 140-160 pounds per yard .I was a lot younger and stronger in 1977 .I made one for me and one for my dad .
I made one for the job superintendent out of 8 " stuff that big old torch would burn clean through top to bottom .Biggest torch I ever used in my life .
Never did finish the horns like in above posts .I might or might not at some time .
Great story. Keep im coming. My dad was a burner at a Johnstown Pa steel mill. How did they cut the horn?

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I posted a picture of my vise and anvils the other day, for some reason it's not in here.

Anyways I have a very large post vice, it's one of the bigger ones that I hardly ever see (looking on ebay for blacksmith tools). I'd have to say it's at least 150 lbs anyway. Here's some pictures!

20160626_154658.jpg

20160626_154554.jpg

20160626_154405.jpg

20160626_154352.jpg

And here are my two anvils, sorry I know this is the vise page but post vises and anvils go hand in hand.
The one on top is about a 300lbs was cast by the Pennsylvania RR. I found it at a scrap yard it's in need of repair. In a few areas on top a previous owner must have gouged it with a torch. I have it all cleaned up/and ground out ready for repair but haven't gotten around to it yet. The one on the bottom is a Nohab Swedish anvil it is absolutely pristine and weighs in at around 125lbs.

20160626_162952.jpg

Junior Samples

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I posted a picture of my vise and anvils the other day, for some reason it's not in here.

Anyways I have a very large post vice, it's one of the bigger ones that I hardly ever see (looking on ebay for blacksmith tools). I'd have to say it's at least 150 lbs anyway. Here's some pictures!

View attachment 135102

View attachment 135103

View attachment 135104

View attachment 135105

And here are my two anvils, sorry I know this is the vise page but post vises and anvils go hand in hand.
The one on top is about a 300lbs was cast by the Pennsylvania RR. I found it at a scrap yard it's in need of repair. In a few areas on top a previous owner must have gouged it with a torch. I have it all cleaned up/and ground out ready for repair but haven't gotten around to it yet. The one on the bottom is a Nohab Swedish anvil it is absolutely pristine and weighs in at around 125lbs.

View attachment 135106
I like the pole vise setup. Got me going to the shop to do some fabricating.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've toyed with the idea of fabricating a chain filing vise for the purpose of filing race chain .

The ones homelite410 makes are top notch. I thought about it for a while and figured I'd probably spend half a day coming up with something only half as good as what Mike makes. I'm 100% happy I bought one of his. It's simple, super effective and very well made. I don't think I'll ever be able to wear it out.

longleaf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

View attachment 135102

View attachment 135103

View attachment 135104

View attachment 135105

View attachment 135106
Drool I like the post too