AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
12:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I let go of all my vices -- drinking, smoking and even womanizing. ;) I have only one vise now, I use it to work on various projects and stuff. Very handy for muffler mods.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My favorite vice story .I bought a big old Wilton for 5 bucks at an auction .Froze up tighter that a bulls azz at fly time .No problem,unstuck it only to find the nut was shot .Again no problem,turned a new brass lined nut .Problem being I turned it right hand acme but it was left hand .Oops had to make another one.Things happen when you don't pay attention

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In other news I do have a 12" milling vise that has to weigh about 200 plus pounds because it took myself and another guy about my size to put it in the back of my truck .I unloaded it with a chain fall .It's on one of my big drill presses that is over 100 years old .The screw on that monster is either 1.5 or 2" .
index.php

Junior Samples

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not certain exactly how many vises I have but I think I have 4 Wiltons .I work in an automotive engine plant for at least the rest of this day that has obsoleted 5 engines in the time I've worked here .As such when a new line is installed all the old stuff is made available to who ever wants it .So in nearly 29 years it's been a lot of vises and 27 tool boxes all Kennedys .Last one out is in the back of my Ranger --Last day today .

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not certain exactly how many vises I have but I think I have 4 Wiltons .I work in an automotive engine plant for at least the rest of this day that has obsoleted 5 engines in the time I've worked here .As such when a new line is installed all the old stuff is made available to who ever wants it .So in nearly 29 years it's been a lot of vises and 27 tool boxes all Kennedys .Last one out is in the back of my Ranger --Last day today .
Retiring ?
I hope you didnt get yerself fired .....................

Junior Samples

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You go guy. If you ever want to part with one of the Wiltons let me know. Back in the 70s Kennedys was the best tool boxes out there. What is the top box now?

longleaf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I beat the living snot outta that thing on a regular basis, built that bench for it too, ................... toughest one I have never broke, and I've broken 4 vises in my life
Does the Wilton have a harden steel plate on it? Looks like it probably does in the pic. Most of the other vices are cast. I had a small 75# cast anvil before I found a good one. I broke the horn on it. Cast just don’t hold up.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
4:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
. . . when a new line is installed all the old stuff is made available to who ever wants it
Seen that in a lot of factories. Never able to take advantage of it myself. One plant, the guy asked for a set of new jaws and they brought him a new Wilton vise. Different economics.

Philbert

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Retiring ?
I hope you didnt get yerself fired .....................
No it was all approved .Fact I have one item ,a Greenlee 785,I think, hydraulic conduit bender that will "one shot" 5 inch and segment bend 6 inch I got on a scrap pass .That one was signed by the plant manager . When I meet my maker it will take my kids a month to have the auction .--I've got stuff now ---

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
'Wilton 11104S51 Lock Nut and Bolt', starting at about $5 each. Have to verify the thread.
View attachment 134662
Philbert
"Bolt and nut are metric.
Bolt - M12 x 40MM thread pitch is 1.75, 18MM square head
Nut – 34MM with 18MM max thread usage"

In case anyone else is interested.

Philbert

Last edited:

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On those actual anvils,unlike a vise anvil there are different methods .You've got regular lower grade gray iron which is not as robust as laminated steel,cast iron bottom anvils .
Probably the best are Peter Wrights but they bring mucho dinero .Highly sought after . Vises it's most likely Wilton or Columbian .My brother has a Columbian it took both of us 25-30 years ago lift into the back of a Chevy Nova .Largest vise I ever saw .Put the little Chevy right down to the axle .He lifted it out with his auto wrecker .

460 magnum

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
View attachment 133867 Time has forgotten the post vice. But I prefer it to a bench vise. The face will flex to hold angled or odd shaped objects where a bench vise won’t. Also you can pound the crap out of it since they are wrought not cast. This one has been passed down in my family for generations. Dont know how long but it is hand forged still hard at work.

I have one of these that I found in my grandpas barn that was most likely his fathers I need to build a stand such as yours.